Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At A Loss
turtletchr 04:34 PM 01-10-2014
Hello! I am new to the forum and I know this topic has been discussed previously. I work at a preschool and am a toddler co-teacher. We have a 20 mos old who started preschool for the 1st time in August. She is a part time student and comes Monday, Thursday, and Friday. Since starting her mom has been pretty consistent in picking up at the same time each day 430pm give or take. She use to cry at drop off but in the last month she's adjusted to drop off and doesn't mind dad leaving. The crying starts as soon as our first child is picked up at 4:05 and doesn't stop until mom picks up. We have started doing our craft when she's there at 4:00 so she can keep busy until her mom comes, give her a frozen teething ring, read a book, etc. The crying only stops if we hold her or take the kids on a buggy ride. Holding her isn't going to help because we have 9 other toddlers who need our attention and the buggy ride isn't always an option if one isn't available. At this point I don't even think its a cry for mom but a cry to be held. I honestly don't think this child will ever like preschool and the fact her days are stretched out doesn't help either, but these are the days when dad is in class and moms a TEACHER and works Mon-Fri. My problem is mom will come in some days just as she's walked to the door screaming and "assumes" we haven't paid her child any attention which clearly is NOT the case. Today she called the director for the 2nd time to voice her concerns. I already have a conference scheduled with her on Monday (which was set up last week) and it frustrates me that instead of her emailing, texting, or calling me she went to the director. My director reviewed the tape and saw the child went to the door just as mom was walking in. I'm at a loss for things to do for her! She also has horrible bowel movements that mom knows about because she's in cloth diapers. She has had multiple diaper rashes and I wonder if shes sick and that's why she cries, because at times she cries even before the first child is picked up. She's also started putting her hand down her throat to induce vomit! Any opinions or tips would be appreciated! This is my 1st year teaching. Thanks.
cheerfuldom 07:52 PM 01-10-2014
Have you discussed all these issues with your director? What is the policy about rashes and vomiting? there should be a policy. even if this child is self inducing vomiting, it is still a sanitation concern and there must be some direction for you on what to do. Is the director backing you up as a teacher, now that the video shows this child is not being neglected? Will the parent be shown the video?

Really, at this point, the director is already involved. He/she should be helping to remedy all these issues.
heyhun77 05:41 AM 01-11-2014
How is she napping? Eating? If this behavior is just at the end of the day it could be that she's got low blood sugar and is tired. I have one just like this. Had to make sure she got protein at afternoon snack and if she didn't nap well I had her chill in the reading corner and she could rest her body even if she didn't sleep. Also, if she hasn't been in a group setting for long the activity of 9 other friends in the room playing may be overstimulating her.

I also hope that you have discussed this with the director before the second time the parent went to them. Great that you have a conference scheduled. Maybe focus on how her days go up until that point (as long as it's not an all day behavior). If she has a great day until mid afternoon then make mom knows that it's just at the end of the day and lay out your strategy for working with the child.
turtletchr 01:59 PM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Have you discussed all these issues with your director? What is the policy about rashes and vomiting? there should be a policy. even if this child is self inducing vomiting, it is still a sanitation concern and there must be some direction for you on what to do. Is the director backing you up as a teacher, now that the video shows this child is not being neglected? Will the parent be shown the video?

Really, at this point, the director is already involved. He/she should be helping to remedy all these issues.
Yes I have discussed this with the director. She has called mom a few times about her rash and mom says that they're working on it. Our policy is if the child vomits twice they go home. The parent will be shown the video as I am requesting it! Hopefully that will help the problem as far as the parent goes.
turtletchr 02:02 PM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
How is she napping? Eating? If this behavior is just at the end of the day it could be that she's got low blood sugar and is tired. I have one just like this. Had to make sure she got protein at afternoon snack and if she didn't nap well I had her chill in the reading corner and she could rest her body even if she didn't sleep. Also, if she hasn't been in a group setting for long the activity of 9 other friends in the room playing may be overstimulating her.

I also hope that you have discussed this with the director before the second time the parent went to them. Great that you have a conference scheduled. Maybe focus on how her days go up until that point (as long as it's not an all day behavior). If she has a great day until mid afternoon then make mom knows that it's just at the end of the day and lay out your strategy for working with the child.
She is on a dairy free diet as school because of her loose bowels. Her ped recommended she go dairy free for 3 months, however dad has mentioned they only do dairy free milk, not food! At school she's on non-dairy everything! She use to sleep the full 2 hours for nap and as of lately she's only sleeping an hour.
Reply Up