Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Refund For Half Days?
CountryRoads 06:38 AM 09-26-2019
I'm thinking about closing at lunchtime on Halloween so I can go to my kids' school party.

My contract states that I don't do half day rates - but I also don't charge when daycare is closed.

Would you give a small refund or no? If not, what would you say if a parent questioned you on it?

I'm tempted to just be closed the whole day so I don't have any issues at all. Such as parents not picking up on time
Cat Herder 06:53 AM 09-26-2019
I would not discount unless I closed for the whole day. With 30 days notice, you should be fine.

The reason I'd discount is that I already include all my paid days off in my weekly tuition (charged over 50 weeks, instead of 52) so they don't have to pay me the weeks they have to find alternative care. I am paid in advance for the week so taking an extra day would mean taking a day they have already paid for.

I found that parents budget based on the monthly amount. The rate did not matter as much as the consistency of the monthly amount. So, if I charge on my closing weeks and they have to pay someone else, they view it as an extra cost. When they don't pay me, then give that pre-planned payment to someone else, they feel they stayed in budget, so no problem. They still paid for the extra two weeks if they paid for back-up care, but it did not hurt their budget.
rosieteddy 07:17 AM 09-26-2019
Why not just close for the whole day.Give notice soon and use a personal day.You can probally guarantee some parent will "forget"or be late to pick up.Why not schedule something else for you that morning and then get to go to your child's school event.That is one thing I did regret not getting to attend my own children and later grandchildren's school functions.
boy_mom 07:56 AM 09-26-2019
I agree, close for the day. That solves the issue of potential payment confusion with parents and as PP mentioned, there is always that one family that doesn't not show up on time and ruins the afternoon for you. Half days always backfired for me, so after a few times I just started taking the entire day off.
Ac114 08:01 AM 09-26-2019
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
I agree, close for the day. That solves the issue of potential payment confusion with parents and as PP mentioned, there is always that one family that doesn't not show up on time and ruins the afternoon for you. Half days always backfired for me, so after a few times I just started taking the entire day off.
I agree with this. Anytime I’ve closed early I ALWAYS have that one family that picks up late. Just in August I closed an hour early 2 days in a row for my kids school open house. Each day I had someone more than 30 minutes late and I actually missed open house the 2nd day. Talked about being PISSED.
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 09-26-2019
I charge 52 weeks a year with no credit for anything but when I used to charge daily/half day rates I always said half days DO NOT include lunch or nap.

If you're still serving lunch and then closing, I'd charge the entire day rate. You did 3/4ths of the days work so....
Jupadia 08:18 AM 09-26-2019
I close early on Halloween at 5pm instead of 6pm, as well I close at 12pm on Christmas eve. Both of these are in my contract and I get regular rate for those two days. I dont charge for vaction or last minute closures. For the last minute ones I refund (or rather charge one less day, for next payment). I dont have a half day rate.
If it were me I would just close for the day, it will make it less confusing pay wise, and give you a morning off before a busy day.
Ariana 10:43 AM 09-26-2019
I give myself personal days off paid so this would be paid in my opinion. I also reserve the right to close early with notice, also paid. Whether or not I would count this as a personal day would depend on how many meals the kids ate. To me eating lunch is a full day.
DaveA 11:18 AM 09-26-2019
For me a 1/2 day would be at 11:30. If I need to close before that I just close for the day and don't charge for it. If I have to close after that I charge as a normal day.
Annalee 11:28 AM 09-26-2019
52 weeks pay a year for me, no matter what!
littlefriends 03:12 PM 09-26-2019
I don’t refund unless I have to call in sick.
Tags:discounts, refund - half day, refunds
Reply Up