Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2015, 07:42 AM
MamaB'sKidz's Avatar
MamaB'sKidz MamaB'sKidz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 50
Default Potty Training: Will Go At Home But Not At Daycare???

Any other provider ever experienced this before? DCB, almost 2 1/2 yo the parents started potty training over Christmas break. He will go to the potty for them at his own house and has had a few accidents but DCM says he's doing good for the most part. He was dropped off in big boy underwear and when he goes he's suppose to be rewarded. But....he won't go here at daycare for me and it's been almost 4 hours. He screams and fights me when I try to put him on the potty. I don't want to force him and traumatize the little guy but I don't know what else I can do to help him. I Know he has to go, he is holding himself and hiding in the corner whimpering. :-( Help I'm stumped! I've potty trained 2 DCB's before and never ran into this situation.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

I have the parents come and put the child on the potty. They show me how they do it

If the child is truely ready, that seems to work to get them going at my house. If they are not, I put the child in a diaper. Because the parents SEE what is going on, there are no arguments.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaB'sKidz View Post
Any other provider ever experienced this before? DCB, almost 2 1/2 yo the parents started potty training over Christmas break. He will go to the potty for them at his own house and has had a few accidents but DCM says he's doing good for the most part. He was dropped off in big boy underwear and when he goes he's suppose to be rewarded. But....he won't go here at daycare for me and it's been almost 4 hours. He screams and fights me when I try to put him on the potty. I don't want to force him and traumatize the little guy but I don't know what else I can do to help him. I Know he has to go, he is holding himself and hiding in the corner whimpering. :-( Help I'm stumped! I've potty trained 2 DCB's before and never ran into this situation.
I'm unconcerned if a child goes potty at HOME. And I don't PUT kids on the potty. For a child to be in underwear HERE, they must tell me they have to go potty before they wet themselves, and be accident free while in diapers for two weeks. Parents aren't often honest when it comes to potty training.

I'd put the child in a diaper and call mom to bring more.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2015, 09:06 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaB'sKidz View Post
Any other provider ever experienced this before? DCB, almost 2 1/2 yo the parents started potty training over Christmas break. He will go to the potty for them at his own house and has had a few accidents but DCM says he's doing good for the most part. He was dropped off in big boy underwear and when he goes he's suppose to be rewarded. But....he won't go here at daycare for me and it's been almost 4 hours. He screams and fights me when I try to put him on the potty. I don't want to force him and traumatize the little guy but I don't know what else I can do to help him. I Know he has to go, he is holding himself and hiding in the corner whimpering. :-( Help I'm stumped! I've potty trained 2 DCB's before and never ran into this situation.
Home and daycare are two total different environments. Many many kids are completely toilet trained at home long before completing the process at daycare.

I would not stress about it and when he is ready to go at daycare, he'll tell you. Until then he needs to be in pull ups or diapers until he is trained at daycare.

It's VERY common.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Home and daycare are two total different environments. Many many kids are completely toilet trained at home long before completing the process at daycare.

I would not stress about it and when he is ready to go at daycare, he'll tell you. Until then he needs to be in pull ups or diapers until he is trained at daycare.

It's VERY common.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2015, 01:58 PM
nothingwithoutjoy's Avatar
nothingwithoutjoy nothingwithoutjoy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New England
Posts: 1,027
Default

Completely normal. Home is more comfortable to him. When parents tell me their kids are "potty trained" at home, if I've had no success getting them to use the potty here, I tell them they are not yet using the potty here and I'll let them know when they are ready for undies.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2015, 02:06 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I've had it both ways. PT here not at home or at home but not here.

Like BC said two totally different environments.....

What is your policy state on PT?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2015, 04:25 PM
MamaB'sKidz's Avatar
MamaB'sKidz MamaB'sKidz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I've had it both ways. PT here not at home or at home but not here.

Like BC said two totally different environments.....

What is your policy state on PT?
Honestly, I never thought to have a policy on PT in my handbook. And my state licensing rules just require us to follow proper sanitation procedures with PT. Guess I should think of revising my handbook.

I really don't think the DCB is ready yet. DCM has expressed to me she's upset that her older children where PT by the age of 2 and this one is not. So it sounds like DCB doesn't have a choice. I did tell DCM that I would work with him but that he would have to be in a pull up until he's completely trained here at daycare. Thank you all for the encouraging advise.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-2015, 04:28 PM
MamaB'sKidz's Avatar
MamaB'sKidz MamaB'sKidz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Home and daycare are two total different environments. Many many kids are completely toilet trained at home long before completing the process at daycare.

I would not stress about it and when he is ready to go at daycare, he'll tell you. Until then he needs to be in pull ups or diapers until he is trained at daycare.

It's VERY common.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-2015, 04:44 PM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

This is what I have in my actual handbook:

Potty training is an essential and sometimes stressful process for both children and parents. I will assist in potty training with the understanding that it will only work if we work together. ☺ Your child will not learn if they do not do it while in my care and at home. You must work with your child at home and have a foundation set up before I will begin potty training here. Clothing should be easy to manage to encourage self-help skills. Buckles, buttons, belts, overalls and suspenders when in a hurry to use the bathroom may create a problem and should not be worn during this time. I also require that each potty training child have pull ups until they are able to go 10 full days without accidents. I will give you my full potty-training policy when you are ready to start training at home ☺



And this is my separate potty training policy I would hand out when it's time:

Potty training is an exciting time for everyone! It can also be a difficult and sometimes frustrating transition for a child, and because your child may be here at daycare as much if not more during the week than at home. I am happy to support your child’s potty training while here! My policies are:

• Please have a solid foundation of training at home before they start here- it can be scary and often a child is more comfortable starting their training at home. I am happy to begin training once you have that foundation set.
• Please find a time (outside of our regular work hours) to discuss your home methods with me, so I can be on the same page as you. I also want to be able to use the same language as that at home. Your child will train much faster if there is consistency between home and daycare.
• While I know many parents do the underwear-only training, I am not able to do it at daycare due to health regulations.
• Your child must be in pull-ups while training at daycare. After two weeks without an accident (i.e. wet or dirty pull-up) they may begin to come in underwear. However, I will ask that you still leave pull-ups here in case they are needed again.
• I reserve the right to take a break from training here if they have been trying for a duration of time here and I feel they are just not ready. The worst thing for potty training is to try to force it before the child is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-05-2015, 04:55 PM
MamaB'sKidz's Avatar
MamaB'sKidz MamaB'sKidz is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post
This is what I have in my actual handbook:

Potty training is an essential and sometimes stressful process for both children and parents. I will assist in potty training with the understanding that it will only work if we work together. ☺ Your child will not learn if they do not do it while in my care and at home. You must work with your child at home and have a foundation set up before I will begin potty training here. Clothing should be easy to manage to encourage self-help skills. Buckles, buttons, belts, overalls and suspenders when in a hurry to use the bathroom may create a problem and should not be worn during this time. I also require that each potty training child have pull ups until they are able to go 10 full days without accidents. I will give you my full potty-training policy when you are ready to start training at home ☺



And this is my separate potty training policy I would hand out when it's time:

Potty training is an exciting time for everyone! It can also be a difficult and sometimes frustrating transition for a child, and because your child may be here at daycare as much if not more during the week than at home. I am happy to support your child’s potty training while here! My policies are:

• Please have a solid foundation of training at home before they start here- it can be scary and often a child is more comfortable starting their training at home. I am happy to begin training once you have that foundation set.
• Please find a time (outside of our regular work hours) to discuss your home methods with me, so I can be on the same page as you. I also want to be able to use the same language as that at home. Your child will train much faster if there is consistency between home and daycare.
• While I know many parents do the underwear-only training, I am not able to do it at daycare due to health regulations.
• Your child must be in pull-ups while training at daycare. After two weeks without an accident (i.e. wet or dirty pull-up) they may begin to come in underwear. However, I will ask that you still leave pull-ups here in case they are needed again.
• I reserve the right to take a break from training here if they have been trying for a duration of time here and I feel they are just not ready. The worst thing for potty training is to try to force it before the child is ready.
! Very good policy! The very last part of your policy is what I feel like telling the DCM. I feel like I'm traumatizing the poor boy when I try to put him on the potty. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 PM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

Copy it onto a word document and send home tomorrow Poor DCB is going to be so stressed and regress if she keeps it up Every child is an individual and "bullying" him into potty training when he's not ready is not helpful nor healthy for him.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-05-2015, 05:11 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post
Copy it onto a word document and send home tomorrow Poor DCB is going to be so stressed and regress if she keeps it up Every child is an individual and "bullying" him into potty training when he's not ready is not helpful nor healthy for him.
I agree.. I see parents try to push all the time and instead of taking a few days it MONTHS to PT....

the child will regress if dcp make it a negative experience.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Home and daycare are two total different environments. Many many kids are completely toilet trained at home long before completing the process at daycare.

I would not stress about it and when he is ready to go at daycare, he'll tell you. Until then he needs to be in pull ups or diapers until he is trained at daycare.

It's VERY common.
I agree; I've had several kids who were trained at home but unwilling to use the potty here. It takes time and patience but eventually, they do start. One little guy told me he would "NEVER!!!" use the bathroom here at day care. It's taken about 6 months of waiting but one day he was just ready and he potty trained in a day or two.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
potty training issues

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potty Training At Daycare c.w. Parents and Guardians Forum 39 08-13-2013 09:32 AM
Potty Training Woes Brooksie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 06-28-2013 04:55 AM
Potty Training caregiver Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 12-17-2010 05:17 PM
Daycare Parents Handbook DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 12-04-2010 12:35 AM
VENT: potty training ... (LONG!) AmandasFCC Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 09-02-2009 06:28 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:18 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming