Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Read aloud books
childcaremom 02:00 AM 05-21-2015
My older group is 3 and 5. We always lead into rest time with stories. I am currently reading Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures to them and we are almost done.

Can anyone recommend some good books for this age group? I am looking for something between a picture book and a novel (Flora and Ulysses is probably at the upper limit for them). They really enjoy listening and seeing an occasional picture.

Thanks
cheerfuldom 05:22 AM 05-21-2015
A good curriculum that is literature based is Sonlight. If you look up the preschool curriculum, you will see what book titles they include and you can purchase used on ebay for cheap for most of them. They generally have a really good book list!
childcaremom 06:12 AM 05-21-2015
Thank you, I will check it out.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:28 AM 05-21-2015
Some of our favorite first chapter-book read-alouds:

Winnie the Pooh (the original; not the Disney stuff)
Milly Molly Mandy
My Father's Dragon
The Children of Noisy Village
B is for Betsy
Luna 09:35 AM 05-21-2015
My group enjoyed the Beverly Cleary books, Beezus and Ramona, and Henry's New Bike (or something like that). Lots of dated stuff in there, but it gave us an opportunity to talk about how things have changed.
daycare 09:41 AM 05-21-2015
in my classes i have learned that children need pictures and word association to stay tunes into stories.

the carrot seed
the hungry caterpillar
the little mouse the red ripe strawberry and the big hungry bear
polar bear polar bear

anything that repeats that is predictable for the kids to learn what will happen next.

books that teach rhymes.....

if you go to pinterest and you look up read out loud books with activities you can be there for years...lol

also the learning box has a book that you read each day.

i create a 5 day read out loud and the entire curriculum is based off of the book for the whole week.
childcaremom 10:48 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Luna:
My group enjoyed the Beverly Cleary books, Beezus and Ramona, and Henry's New Bike (or something like that). Lots of dated stuff in there, but it gave us an opportunity to talk about how things have changed.
Love Beverly Cleary. Thank you!
childcaremom 10:50 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
in my classes i have learned that children need pictures and word association to stay tunes into stories.

the carrot seed
the hungry caterpillar
the little mouse the red ripe strawberry and the big hungry bear
polar bear polar bear

anything that repeats that is predictable for the kids to learn what will happen next.

books that teach rhymes.....

if you go to pinterest and you look up read out loud books with activities you can be there for years...lol

also the learning box has a book that you read each day.

i create a 5 day read out loud and the entire curriculum is based off of the book for the whole week.
We do a lot of reading. This is just a special read aloud at naps for my older ones. I was testing their focus on a whim a few weeks ago and they love the story so I am happy to continue. A superhero squirrel.... what's not to love The author also wrote the Mercy the Pig stories... my own dks loved them.

I spend way too much time on Pinterest. I am doing The Tiny Seed, Jack's Garden and The Carrot Seed over the next few weeks
childcaremom 10:51 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Some of our favorite first chapter-book read-alouds:

Winnie the Pooh (the original; not the Disney stuff)
Milly Molly Mandy
My Father's Dragon
The Children of Noisy Village
B is for Betsy

I will check these out, too. Thanks!
Reply Up