Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Upstairs...downstairs
MommyMuffin 03:45 AM 07-20-2015
I have mostly infants and toddlers. I'm wondering if I should make my basement into the daycare area. There is a bathroom down there and an extra bedroom but the kitchen is upstairs. I don't know if it would be a good idea because of going up and down for every meal...
On the other hand would it make me happier to have separate space for home and daycare?
What does your infant toddler area look like?
Play Care 03:54 AM 07-20-2015
In my state I need to be on the same level as the kids at all times. The only exception is if a fully potty trained child needed to use a bathroom a level up or down without me and was capable of doing so independently.
If I were you, I'd make a small kitchnette (microwave, small fridge, electric stove top) in the basement and make the whole basement day care only. No kids in the main level at all.

You could do so much more with your day care if you have dedicated space (think of it - wall murals, cubbies, kids art work, etc) And you can "leave" work at the end of the day. All the spit up and blow outs are contained to one area of your home which reduces your own families exposure.
DaveA 04:58 AM 07-20-2015
In IL a basement has to have a direct exit (no stairs) to be licensed. Something to doublecheck in your state. Otherwise I agree with PlayCare: a kitchenette would be worthwhile alternative even if you could do meal prep on a different level than your daycare space.
midaycare 05:20 AM 07-20-2015
Mine are all 3 and under and my daycare is downstairs. There is a separate door that parents come to - I love it. I do lose a lot of my home, but I also have a huge tax write off - 60%, because my t/s is so high with the dedicated daycare space.

My kitchen is upstairs and so is the bathroom. We go up and down stairs all day. No problem here. I just use a baby gate. I carry the ones I need to, and the rest walk. If they are not that great on the stairs, they go down on their bottoms. Most do anyway because they think it's more fun. I've been open 1.5 years - no one has had any issues yet.
AuntTami 05:20 AM 07-20-2015
My playroom and nap room are on the second floor of my home and I absolutely despise it. I've ended up bringing most of my toys to the living room because I hate having to trapse up and down the stairs 15 times a day with everyone.

I would definitely turn the basement into daycare, if you can. Bring a fridge, microwave, and a few other things down and make a kitchenette. you're not going to wanna be dealing with stairs all day.
LysesKids 05:22 AM 07-20-2015
I know in MO I couldn't do infants/toddlers in a basement... here I am all on one level; states that do allow the basement to be used will require a direct access to outside. I love the kitchenette idea
midaycare 07:29 AM 07-20-2015
The stairs are really not a big deal! Although that depends how many you are licensed for. I'm licensed for 6, so really, not a big deal. But 10? Different story.
midaycare 07:30 AM 07-20-2015
Plus I always reach my 10,000 steps by 5:00 pm
cheerfuldom 07:33 AM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I know in MO I couldn't do infants/toddlers in a basement... here I am all on one level; states that do allow the basement to be used will require a direct access to outside. I love the kitchenette idea
to clarify, MO does allow basement daycares but it has to be a walk out and a kitchen must be on the same level.

so what the OP is suggesting wouldnt be licensed in MO from my understanding.

However if you are legally unlicensed or your state licensing allows for this setup, then absolutely I would do it (and have done it). Keep a supply of table activities for the children to do upstairs at the table while you do the meal. You can do a lot of prep outside of daycare hours (or nap time) so the kids arent sitting for a long time at the table waiting for meals.
LysesKids 08:15 AM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
to clarify, MO does allow basement daycares but it has to be a walk out and a kitchen must be on the same level.

so what the OP is suggesting wouldnt be licensed in MO from my understanding.

However if you are legally unlicensed or your state licensing allows for this setup, then absolutely I would do it (and have done it). Keep a supply of table activities for the children to do upstairs at the table while you do the meal. You can do a lot of prep outside of daycare hours (or nap time) so the kids arent sitting for a long time at the table waiting for meals.
When I was doing infants only, the lady that registered me said infants couldn't be in a basement area period... looks like they switched the rules. Either way, yeah unless there was a direct exit, she wouldn't be legal in MO if she full licensed
MommyMuffin 12:36 PM 07-20-2015
Looking into the statutes it looks like I can because I have stairs and a window that meets the requirements. But I will check with my licensor.

Anyway with legalities out of the way...how to make a smooth transition...
Thriftylady 04:00 PM 07-20-2015
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Looking into the statutes it looks like I can because I have stairs and a window that meets the requirements. But I will check with my licensor.

Anyway with legalities out of the way...how to make a smooth transition...
Make sure with your window, you have the ladder, they will check for that. When I did daycare in KS I didn't have the window, I wish I had, because I would have done separate levels in a heartbeat.
Reply Up