Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Serving Stew-Type Stuff
SilverSabre25 12:23 PM 07-21-2011
Like chili, vegetable soup, beef stew, etc.

How do you ensure, to the food program's satisfaction, that each child gets an ample serving of protein and veggies, assuming that those are both being covered by the stuff you're serving? (For example, I'm making vegetarian chili and lots of tomatoes, beans, corn, green pepper).

or do you still have to give a separate serving of veggies?
familyschoolcare 01:47 PM 07-21-2011
I recently got on the food program ans ask the guy that when he was here. What he said was make sure the portions are correct, and that only one fruit/vegetable can be counted this way. Therefore, You would have to serve at least one separate vegetable/fruit. What state are you in while the food program in federal funded in is run at the state level so some of the rules and how they are in forced are different in different states.
SilverSabre25 02:09 PM 07-21-2011
I'm in OH but I'm not on the Food Program. I just like to follow the guidelines as much as I can w/ regard to this kind of thing.

I sort of figured that only one could be counted that way, but it's not a big deal or anything. I usually serve fruit with a meal and fruit won't work in a stew somehow, lol
sharlan 04:20 PM 07-21-2011
I so wish my kids would eat stews, soups, and casseroles, but they won't. It's just a waste of money trying. The one just doesn't eat much beyond yogurt. The other one is a texture issue and won't eat anything mixed together.
meganlavonnesmommy 04:35 PM 07-21-2011
I'm with you Sharlan, my kids wont eat anything mixed up either.

My food program lady said just to measure accurately. For instance if you use 4 cups of veggies when you make the stew, and end up with 8 cups of stew in the end, each cup serving of stew has 1/2 cup of veggies in it.
Reply Up