Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Scarlet Fever Minus the Fever

Anyone ever have this?

My DS got sick (vomited) Sat. night just once.

Sunday developed a rash.

Today it is worse. Mainly in armpits, creases of legs, groin area. Took him to doctor.

Doctor said it's scarlet fever without the fever. He could've had the fever last week. Treatment is just benadryl for itch. No antibiotics bc he is not showing any symptoms of strep throat.

Doctor DID stress that if he comes down with any symptoms of meningitis he needs to go straight to ER. <---SCARES ME!

My DD had Scarlet fever a while back and had symptoms of and a positive strep test. This seems different, but reading info on it- it does follow the description.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

My oldest had Scarlatina - it was the weirdest thing. Since he was sick, he was in a red sleeper all day. When he took it off for a bath he looked like he was sunburned! I thought the red sleeper bled. Nuh-uh.

They did test your DS for the strep right? I'm betting the overnight comes back positive. Be prepared to get antibiotics tomorrow.

In the mean time, I'd treat it like he has strep and keep him away from your DC kids and vice versa.

Feel better kiddo!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

My daughter and youngest son had scarlet fever last year. It is caused by the strep bacteria and is contagious. Like strep, if it isn't treated with antibiotics then children will continue to be contagious after the symptoms have subsided. That is my understanding of the illness though. I hope your baby feels better!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

Doctor said no antibiotics or no exclusion as long as he isn't running a fever. Hmmm I know when my DD had it she tested positive for strep & was given antibiotic injections.

And they did not rapid strep test him. It might not be in the throat.

Doctor thinks he had the fever last week and the rash is the virus leaving his body. That's why he doesn't have any other symptoms now.

If he isn't getting any relief tomorrow I will be going to our family doctor.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

My kids have had it twice. We had antibiotics both times. The first time I closed since one of my dd's was really sick but the second time I just isolated them.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

The rash is the body having a reaction to a toxin produced by the strep bacteria. It is not like when the body gets a rash after a virus (hfmd, pox, etc). But scarlet fever is bacterial and not viral.

I would get a second opinion, imo, because the doc is either over simplifying for you or doesn't know about scarlet fever.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

One of my dds woke up one morning nearly purple!
It was a deep purple rash covering her trunk and face. She had a mild sore throat the day before with a very low grade fever (under 100.) No other symptoms, and no fever that day at all.
She was diagnosed with Scarlet fever. We also go antibiotics. I think I would try another doc or get a better explanation as to no antibiotics.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Going for second opinion in the morning
Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Trix are for kids

I hope he feels better! Keep us posted on what they say tomorrow!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Update

Went to family doctor this morning and I feel horrible for my DS.

He DOES NOT have scarlet fever because there is no fever or strep symptoms.

It is a random rash & they gave him steroids for relief.

DS has been MISERABLE and benadryl was not helping. Hoping that the steroids help!!

Thanks everyone!!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

Awww poor guy! Benadryl makes a cream that I find works well on my ds who is prone to rashiness. Hope you all feel better!

Tags
scarlet fever, strep throat