Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Unregistered

Default Help! Potty training in underwear?

Hello! I run a small, in home daycare in my home. I have a just turned 2 year old girl who has been in pull ups for a couple months potty training. Her mother just had off two weeks ago for a weeklong vacation. During that week, the mother worked on potty training. When she returned to daycare last week, her parents brought her in underwear and said she was potty trained and no longer having accidents.

I take her potty every 30 minutes. Unfortunately, she has accidents every single day. 4-5 a day! I will take her potty, and literally 10 minutes later she will pee on the floor! I have told the parents, hoping they will get the hint and put her back into pull ups, but they are adamant that she is potty trained and she has no accidents at home.

Now I feel terrible like I am somehow doing something wrong since she is having accidents here and not at home. She just peed on the couch, and I have had enough. I don't want my entire house soaked in her pee!

I was going to contact her mother and explain the situation, and require that she wear pull ups at daycare until the accidents stop.

Is that the right thing to do? How do you all handle situations like this and potty training?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

If she's having accidents at your house, she is NOT potty trained, no matter what the parents say. Tell them that she needs to be in pull ups, PERIOD. I'd print this article (I'm putting in a link, and there are MANY of these out there) and tell them that she is simply not ready to potty train.

http://www.babble.com/toddler/danger...raining-early/
Old 07-27-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello! I run a small, in home daycare in my home. I have a just turned 2 year old girl who has been in pull ups for a couple months potty training. Her mother just had off two weeks ago for a weeklong vacation. During that week, the mother worked on potty training. When she returned to daycare last week, her parents brought her in underwear and said she was potty trained and no longer having accidents.

I take her potty every 30 minutes. Unfortunately, she has accidents every single day. 4-5 a day! I will take her potty, and literally 10 minutes later she will pee on the floor! I have told the parents, hoping they will get the hint and put her back into pull ups, but they are adamant that she is potty trained and she has no accidents at home.

Now I feel terrible like I am somehow doing something wrong since she is having accidents here and not at home. She just peed on the couch, and I have had enough. I don't want my entire house soaked in her pee!

I was going to contact her mother and explain the situation, and require that she wear pull ups at daycare until the accidents stop.

Is that the right thing to do? How do you all handle situations like this and potty training?
She is not potty trained. Potty trained children do not require a caregiver to bring them to the bathroom in timed intervals. Potty children know before they go that they need to go.

Just because the parents said the words doesn't make them true.

Also home environment and daycare environments are two totally different places and it is common for kids to use the toilet at home and not use it at daycare.

I would put her back in Pull ups until she has been accident free for two FULL weeks before allowing her to be in underwear in your home.

I would also let parents know that she needs to be able to tell you she has to go (BEFORE she goes) in order to be considered trained at your house.

It's an issue of sanitation as well. Unless daycare mom/dad want to pay for professional carpet cleaning every time she pees at your house, they need to send her in a pull up or a diaper.

That's my two cents...

If mom continues to state that she is trained at home and makes it sound like she only has accidents at your house, I would tell her you are unable to replicate home so you are unable to continue providing care for her.

I refuse to allow a child to urinate on my floors and carpets simply because a parent SAID the words "They are trained". I believe it when I SEE it.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Daycare.com Member

Nope! Here I don't consider a child potty trained unless they have NO accidents here for two weeks. Until then they stay in pull ups. If they have a great week and come back the next Monday and have an accident, the two weeks starts over.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Unregistered

I totally agree with the previous posters. I had a dcm ask me when I would start potty training her dcg who is not even showing signs of readiness. I think dcm is trying to rush dcg because dcg goes through at least five diapers a day here, and from what I gather, at home they don't change dcg until it's really full (now I know why every Monday dck comes with a rash). I made a letter about potty training at my program (combined info from different letters I found on here) and gave it to dcm. Never asked me again after getting the letter. I included the two weeks no accident policy.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

You are not doing anything wrong. 4-5 accidents a day is NOT potty trained. I'm assuming she doesn't tell you that she has to go? Even if she peed on the toilet every 30 minutes and had no accidents, that is not potty trained. That is peeing on command.

Tell dcm that for sanitary purposes and the health of all children in care dcg NEEDS to wear pull-ups until she goes two weeks without accidents AT DAYCARE (not two weeks accident-free at home).

It is common for dcks to use the potty at home, but not at daycare because it's such a different environment. Daycare is usually much more stimulating than home; kids are reluctant to stop playing and go potty, even if they do know when they have to go.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

4-5 accidents a day is ridiculous. She needs to go back to pull-ups or diapers, at least at daycare until she's no longer regularly having accidents.

At my center, we'll usually put kids in a pull-up after their second accident of the day. Children have bad potty days sometimes. They could be tired, not feeling well, constipated, having diarrhea, etc. Sometimes they need a safety net.

It's also pretty unusual to see a just turned two year old that's truly ready to potty train, IME.

Tags
None