Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Creating a Schedule to Fill Spots
ChelseaB 06:57 PM 10-14-2015
Okay, so I am implementing something a little different for my in-home daycare, but I want to run it by you guys first to help me with any potential issues I may not have realized, suggestions, etc!

I have been attempting to fill spots, but for some reason, I have been receiving a lot of part-time inquiries. Full time has been a little tougher to do, and for financial reasons, I decided to go ahead and try something with part time/drop ins.

I am going to create a calendar with a schedule of business days. My full time families will obviously have priority, and they will always be listed. I have 6 slots total. So, that will leave about 3 openings per day for others to claim. One part time family knows their schedule will always be Tuesday/Thursday, and she could be interested in switching to full time in the future. Otherwise, the other spots will be filled first come, first serve. If they mark their name down by no later than Friday for the week ahead, their spot will be secured. However, payment will be required regardless of attendance (pre-pay). During the week of, families may request drop in care, but of course, this comes with no guarantee of availability.

My pay scale is normally:
$105/week for full time
$25/day for part time/drop in
I have considered upping the drop in rate to $30/day, more so to encourage proactive scheduling, however, I feel that my families may be offended by a price change in addition to everything else. So I want to keep it this way, at least for the moment. I may reconsider at a later date when many of my loyal families are ready to move on...

I'm trying to keep it simple, but I think it will alleviate some financial stability for me. Plus, the families always have the option of going full time to save money AND have guaranteed days

Anyone have some advice?? Thanks in advance!
ChelseaB 07:04 PM 10-14-2015
I should add that there are currently about 4 PT kids, 3 kids I provide back-up care for, and 2 of FT's siblings periodically. This all ranges from about 1-5 days per week, depending on their needs.
daycare 08:30 PM 10-14-2015
I don't know anyone who does drop in with such a small group and run a successful program, but not saying that it can't be done.

i personally like to have consistency with the kids, because this is what they need to be successful.

here is what I offer.

ft- anything 4 or more days
pt you can choose MWF or TTH. I will not take children under 2 less than 3 days a week. IME it does not work well with kids so young only coming 2 days a week.

In my program you are paying for the spot, not the actual time you use it. so if you are there or not you pay for it. this way I know how to forecast my spending within my program and how I need to schedule my employees. It also helps me to know when to expect to work. I have set hours too.

so each family is set in contracted times and they must abide by those times. This way I know what time i am starting and ending my day with each family.

I don't have open to close hours that children can attend.

maybe someone on here has been successful at drop in care and can offer you some good advise.

in years past when I offered drop in care, I made each family submit payment and their schedule every friday in advance for the following week. If I didn't get it by 5:00pm, they didn't get a spot. however, I once had a family show up to drop off payment on a Friday and I had to tell them sorry I don't have any spots left. I tried changing it, but no matter what someone was always mad when they didn't get a spot because they came 5 min or 15 min later.

hope some of this helps you. good luck and welcome to the board.
Thriftylady 06:15 AM 10-15-2015
I do drop in, but only on a space available basis. It could work, but be sure that families understand space is not promised, as full time clients will take priority.
MarinaVanessa 06:34 AM 10-15-2015
I do what you are trying to do on a regular clients. I however don't give anyone priority and handle it as first-pay first-serve, but I do give current clients the courtesy of telling them when someone else has shown interest in a day that they have mentioned wanting but haven't paid for. Depending on the child and sometimes the age I typically don't have any issues with behavior when I do it even when it's a child I rarely see.

Typically for me it's a SAHM and WAHM group that uses me for appointments as well as previous clients.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that for my current PT clients that want an extra day added I charge them what they already pay for a day. I only charge more for the people that are only Drop-In.
kendallina 10:38 AM 10-15-2015
I've done this for my summer program. I live in a college town and a lot of people don't work summers, so I've had to get a little creative with it. In the summers, I run a summer camp for preschoolers up to first graders. Usually I have parents choose either Tth or MW schedule and stick to it for the summer. This year, I offered a lot more flexibility and scheduled in my full timers, then had a sign up list for everyone else. It worked great and I was full most days.

Make sure you're clear with how you'll handle illnesses or parents changing their mind once they're signed up (I still charge personally).

Would you be interested in running any kind of Moms Day Out program? I have s lot of stay at home moms in my community, but once their kids are 2.5, these moms love having a half day option for their kiddos. I used to run that when I first opened.
racemom 10:52 AM 10-15-2015
It sounds like you have figured out a system that would work. If you want $30 a day for drop in, maybe start it by saying if you sign up and pay for the month before the 1st is $25 a day, sign ups after the first are $30 a day.
ChelseaB 11:04 AM 10-15-2015
Thanks so much for the input! Everything has been very helpful and supportive so that I can strive for success I'm feeling more confident about it now!
Reply Up