Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snakes
Baby Beluga 05:40 PM 06-09-2015
I live in the southwest and have found two snakes in my backyard in the past week. The snakes were nonpoisonous, found when the children were inside and were removed by a professional.

My question is - would you send an email to parents letting them know what measures you have taken to prevent additional snakes from coming into the yard and to keep their children safe?

In my community snakes are often found so this is not an unusual thing.

On one hand I want to let them know what safety measures I have taken. On the other hand I feel like sending an email would make the problem seem bigger then it is.

WWYD?
Thriftylady 06:11 PM 06-09-2015
I wouldn't send anything you have dealt with it the best you can. They are around not much more can be said or done.
Leigh 06:56 AM 06-10-2015
I wouldn't send anything, either, especially since there was no danger in having a non-venomous snake in your yard.
AuntTami 07:13 AM 06-10-2015
Agreed. And you said yourself, they're common so the parents have to half way be expecting that they would make their way into your yard. Gross. I would burn my house down. Forget the professional snake guy, you're gonna need a fire department to put my house out. Nope. I don't do snakes.

I think if it continues to be an issue over summer or if a parent notices one, then maybe you could send a note, but for now, you've done all you can.
laundrymom 08:52 AM 06-10-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Agreed. And you said yourself, they're common so the parents have to half way be expecting that they would make their way into your yard. Gross. I would burn my house down. Forget the professional snake guy, you're gonna need a fire department to put my house out. Nope. I don't do snakes.

I think if it continues to be an issue over summer or if a parent notices one, then maybe you could send a note, but for now, you've done all you can.
I agree w Tami. And I just love Indiana. A lot. We have snakes. But not in town and normally not venomous.
Shell 09:38 AM 06-10-2015
I recently had a fox bolt across my unfenced yard and snag a rabbit.
I rushed all the kids inside, and have been vigilant going forward, but it hasn't returned.

Since a few of my dc kids were present at the time of the fox, and a couple were frightened and worried about the bunny, I did mention it to the parents.

I also told the kids that the fox was bringing the bunny back to its mommy. I'm generally very honest, but they were so upset about the bunny, that I told a little white lie.

I told the parents the full story, plus what I told the kids had happened, so they could handle any questions at home, should they arise.

Being that none of your dc kids was present, and you've handled it, I agree, and wouldn't tell the parents. It's likely they have some in their own yards, also.
Baby Beluga 12:43 PM 06-10-2015
Thanks everyone

The parents know about the snakes, my children are old enough to tell the parents about it and they saw one of the snakes on the patio. Since they know it happened, I though sending an email might fend off any uneasy feelings.
Tags:snakes
Reply Up