Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So. Much. Poop.
Indoorvoice 05:31 AM 08-03-2015
I feel weird asking because I know baby poop varies so much, but I just feel like something might be off here,and you all are so much more experienced than Google The little 5 month old I care for has been having these extremely watery poops for about 2 months now. He is exclusively breastfed. He poops 6-8 times here in the 10 hours he is here plus I know he poops at home too so he is going upwards of 10 times a day. Every day. They aren't little either. Like up the back, need to change his outfit poos... He doesn't have other symptoms, except maybe fussing, but I just assumed he was just a fussy baby. Do you think I should have the parents bring it up with their Dr, or is this just normal? I've never cared for a baby that poops this much.
hope 06:01 AM 08-03-2015
It sounds normal for a breast fed baby. Breast milk is digested quicker so it seems to run through their little bodies quick. I find it to be much more watery than formula baby ppop so it does run up the back and seems bigger.
Unregistered 06:10 AM 08-03-2015
Completely normal for breast fed babies. The poo will be different colors, consistency and smells. Never really worry unless is is bloody and red.
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I feel weird asking because I know baby poop varies so much, but I just feel like something might be off here,and you all are so much more experienced than Google The little 5 month old I care for has been having these extremely watery poops for about 2 months now. He is exclusively breastfed. He poops 6-8 times here in the 10 hours he is here plus I know he poops at home too so he is going upwards of 10 times a day. Every day. They aren't little either. Like up the back, need to change his outfit poos... He doesn't have other symptoms, except maybe fussing, but I just assumed he was just a fussy baby. Do you think I should have the parents bring it up with their Dr, or is this just normal? I've never cared for a baby that poops this much.
I don't know.....the last 4 babies I've had have been exclusively breast fed and while they do tend to poop more often and their poo is more watery in consistency than formula fed babies, I've never had one that pooed up and down their back every day or even leaking out.

I'd ask mom to talk to her pediatrician and see if that type of "regularity" is normal or not. Mom could be drinking too much milk/dairy herself or be eating something that doesn't agree with baby.
Play Care 07:11 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't know.....the last 4 babies I've had have been exclusively breast fed and while they do tend to poop more often and their poo is more watery in consistency than formula fed babies, I've never had one that pooed up and down their back every day or even leaking out.

I'd ask mom to talk to her pediatrician and see if that type of "regularity" is normal or not. Mom could be drinking too much milk/dairy herself or be eating something that doesn't agree with baby.
This.

The last three I've had were all BF, and while we had a lot more poo, there were only the usual number of blowouts. In my case it tended to happen when the infant's diapers were too small.
Indoorvoice 08:21 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This.

The last three I've had were all BF, and while we had a lot more poo, there were only the usual number of blowouts. In my case it tended to happen when the infant's diapers were too small.
Yeah I just had her bring the next size up last week and it hasn't helped. She also brings me pampers, so they are good diapers. It's just so weird. I've had lots of BF babies too and have seen nothing like it with multiple clothes changes a day. He is also the most irritable baby I've had, so I'm starting to wonder if the two things are connected. Of course he is just the most wonderful, happiest baby at home.
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 08-03-2015
Yeah I just had her bring the next size up last week and it hasn't helped. She also brings me pampers, so they are good diapers. It's just so weird. I've had lots of BF babies too and have seen nothing like it with multiple clothes changes a day. He is also the most irritable baby I've had, so I'm starting to wonder if the two things are connected. Of course he is just the most wonderful, happiest baby at home.
10 to 1 the parents are lying.

If not, then I would ask them what you are doing differently compared to them. If it gets too bad, I'd have to term simply because if baby is happy at home and doesn't have any of these issues at home then it obviously means you aren't the right fit for the family.

I am NOT implying that you are doing anything wrong....I'm just stating the opposite side of the coin that parents always fail to remember when they use the line "Oh, they aren't x or y at home" and then when the provider says she can't replicate home, the parents always do a ton of back peddling then....

Maybe you should set a limit. X number of blowouts and child goes home.
Otherwise, INSIST the child see his/her Dr for more info/diagnosis
AuntTami 09:05 AM 08-03-2015
Has he always been like this with you? Have they ruled out an allergy to BM?
nothingwithoutjoy 10:02 AM 08-03-2015
When my daughter was 3 months old (breast fed), her pediatrician asked how many times she pooped a day and I said 8 or 9. She said that was way too much and suspected allergies. I thought she was crazy, thinking "oh, all breast-fed babies poop a lot." Nope--she tested her, and it turned out there was blood in her poop (not visible at all)--and it turned out she was allergic to dairy. It took a long time to get it out of her system, but when we did, she pooped far less often, slept much better, and was generally happier all around. I'm now so grateful the pediatrician caught it!
littletots 10:53 AM 08-03-2015
I think your feedback about dck bm is important. Talk to dcm for sure. I did backup care. Day 2 I spoke to dcm about similar situation. She didn't seem interested. Turns out she took baby to ped, ped ran RAST test, results come back dairy allergy. Dcm stopped diary, dck no longer fussy w better quality bms. Dcm had been using regular fcc provider 6 months and never had feedback. She certainly appreciated it.
AuntTami 11:01 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
I think your feedback about dck bm is important. Talk to dcm for sure. I did backup care. Day 2 I spoke to dcm about similar situation. She didn't seem interested. Turns out she took baby to ped, ped ran RAST test, results come back dairy allergy. Dcm stopped diary, dck no longer fussy w better quality bms. Dcm had been using regular fcc provider 6 months and never had feedback. She certainly appreciated it.
One of my guys is 16 months old and has been with me for 3 months, so he was 13 months old when he started here. He pooped at least 6x a day here and was always MISERABLE. It didn't take me long(being lactose intolerant myself) to catch on to what was happening

. I stopped all dairy for him for two days and OH MY GOSH! He was a completely different child. One, regular poo a day, no more crying and screaming all.the.time! I said something to his mom after day 2 about suspecting intolerance and she gave me the go ahead to continue no dairy and he continued to be a sweet wonderful boy.

After about two weeks(mom didn't bother to schedule an appointment for him to confirm despite my recommendations but that's on her) I gave him ONE container of yogurt for breakfast one morning.... He was back to crying for a while until he pooped 3 times and then he was fine.

After telling mom THAT, she made an appointment for him. Dr recommended we try lactaid for now so he still gets his dairy. It's been about 3 weeks of lactaid now and he's so so so much better now.
I can't have any amount of dairy, what so ever, or I'm MISERABLE so I caught onto the intolorenxe very quickly.
Indoorvoice 11:34 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Has he always been like this with you? Have they ruled out an allergy to BM?
Yeah I would say pretty much since he started with me, I was very surprised by the amount of poop. Dcm hasn't brought up any concerns about it, but this is her first, so she doesn't really know anything different. She is very touchy and emotional whenever I bring up any concerns, so I was hesitant to say something unless all of you thought it was weird also. I probably should just mention it casually and see where she goes with it. Dcm is also related to my family, so I'm aware of her eating habits, which are terrible. She does eat mostly dairy and not a lot of fruits or veggies. Very picky. I wonder if this is some of the problem?
littletots 11:27 AM 08-04-2015
Does dck bm smell funny, sick, sour? We daycare providers change lots of diapers. We start to get a sense of what a healthy bm smells like. I would be interested in an update. Keep us posted.
Indoorvoice 06:32 AM 08-05-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
Does dck bm smell funny, sick, sour? We daycare providers change lots of diapers. We start to get a sense of what a healthy bm smells like. I would be interested in an update. Keep us posted.
No it smells perfectly normal, and the color is normal. The only thing weird is the watery consistency, the frequency, and the fact that it isn't "seedy" looking at all. Just complete water. I talked to mom yesterday and she said it isn't like that for her at home. In fact on the weekends, he rarely poops at all. They had a long weekend last weekend and she said he didn't poop at all Friday and Saturday, but pooped 11 times on Sunday after getting a few bottles from family members. I'm wondering if there is something weird happening with the milk she pumps. I'm not sure though! She has a crazy good supply, but usually a foremilk imbalance produces green frothy poo and I'm not seeing that. I suggested doing breast compressions while she pumps and when she feeds him to get some more of the fat out of the ducts. That's all I could think of. If you have any more suggestions, let me know!
Reply Up