Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Children's Books Containers
kcnjason 06:16 PM 04-11-2011
We have a large quantity of books for daycare and I need ideas on how to store them. A book shelf just isn't sufficient as I have yet to find any child that puts books neatly back onto a shelf. What are some of your ideas for storing all of the children's books? Are there containers you like to use? shelves? baskets? Any ideas would be great!
GretasLittleFriends 06:27 PM 04-11-2011
We use a rectangular laundry basket. I have a storage tote in the basement for "out of season" books. I rotate them around, and pull out the holiday ones when a holiday or season approaches. Basket is easy clean-up. If I'm feeling mildly OCD I have been known to actually stack them in basket neatly and organized by size.
SilverSabre25 06:28 PM 04-11-2011
If you google "rain gutter bookshelves" you might get some nifty ideas.
spud912 07:49 PM 04-11-2011
I have bookcases like these and the children know how to put them away. I also alternate books.

Abigail 08:00 PM 04-11-2011
We have one like Spud posted above, but instead of cloth it's all wood. It looks nice and the kids put books away neatly, BUT they also climb as if they're on a ladder with the wooden shelves being an inch or so apart and then go higher up in height for the next level of shelf.
daycare 10:00 PM 04-11-2011
I have regular bookshelf. When the kids take one ( only one at a time off the shelf per child) I have them place the books in a small crate. Then I put them back at the end of the day. This was the way my local library does it, but has a big cart instead of a small crate..

If I don't put them away the kids shove the books bending the pages.
Meyou 01:13 AM 04-12-2011
I use a regular bookshelf and have a bin next to it for the books when they're done. It only takes a minute for me to put them away neatly.
SunflowerMama 04:29 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by spud912:
I have bookcases like these and the children know how to put them away. I also alternate books.

I have one like this but the cloth is a light canvas color. The only problem I run into is what daycare mentioned. When the kids are cleaning up or putting the books back sometimes they bend or get stuck in/on other books.
WImom 04:30 AM 04-12-2011
I use raingutters. I have two up. Then I just rotate my books every few weeks. I probably have about 30 out at a time. I also have a small gutter up by my circle time area that is for the theme of the week books. Those rotate every week and go with out current theme.
Meyou 05:04 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I use raingutters. I have two up. Then I just rotate my books every few weeks. I probably have about 30 out at a time. I also have a small gutter up by my circle time area that is for the theme of the week books. Those rotate every week and go with out current theme.
Just pieces of raingutter screwed to the wall?? This idea sounds great to keep theme books out.
SilverSabre25 05:07 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Just pieces of raingutter screwed to the wall?? This idea sounds great to keep theme books out.
Pretty much; Google "Rain Gutter Bookshelves"

They're pretty awesome. Some day when I stop rearranging the playrom () I will put some of these up. Or, when I have my BIL build us a reading loft, I'll put some in there.
MissAnn 05:33 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
We have a large quantity of books for daycare and I need ideas on how to store them. A book shelf just isn't sufficient as I have yet to find any child that puts books neatly back onto a shelf. What are some of your ideas for storing all of the children's books? Are there containers you like to use? shelves? baskets? Any ideas would be great!
I have bookshelves and the kids do put them away standing up, spine out. We had to practice and then we have to teach new kids. My youngest kid is 2.5 and he isn't so good at it. It's easier for me since the rest of my kids are 3-5.
My Lil' Monkeys 06:14 AM 04-12-2011
I have a wooden basket.... but I want to do this... seems very easy to make to hold all kinds of books.. plus the fabric can be any kind of color fabric..

The Book Sling

Crystal 07:50 AM 04-12-2011
I have wicker baskets full of books in each of my interest centers, related to the current activities and throughout the house as well. I have the canvas shelf but it sits in the garage as too many books were getting ruined when the kids put them away. I have always wanted to do the raingutters but haven't found the time to do it.
SunflowerMama 08:02 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by My Lil' Monkeys:
I have a wooden basket.... but I want to do this... seems very easy to make to hold all kinds of books.. plus the fabric can be any kind of color fabric..

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/book-sling-919473/
I LOVE this! Might be my next project for my girls' room. Cute!
gkids09 12:06 PM 04-12-2011
I bought plastic baskets at the dollar store, and divided books up according to type (board books, audio books, magazines, books about differences, etc). Each book type has a color.

The sign on the front of the "Magazines" book basket, for example, is yellow. I got all the magazines and taped a square of yellow construction paper on the front cover. At this time, I have 8 baskets. Each one has a different color sign, and the books have the coordinating square on the front cover.

I have found that the kids are REALLY good at matching the color on the front to the color on the basket sign.. My "shelf" is actually an old changing table that was donated..I sanitized it of course, but it has three good shelves that I have my baskets on!

Hope this helps a little. I have always wanted to do the rain gutter storage, but can't decide where to put them since I move things around so much!!
Abigail 12:32 PM 04-12-2011
"I have always wanted to do the rain gutter storage, but can't decide where to put them since I move things around so much!!"

I agree! I change things around a lot!
daycare 12:43 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
"I have always wanted to do the rain gutter storage, but can't decide where to put them since I move things around so much!!"

I agree! I change things around a lot!
you sound like me. I recently got tired of having too many shelves, so I got rid of three of them and my ex-husband is currently making me a super huge one that includes doors. I am soooo excited...

I think I move things around a lot becuse of our lessons.....
Tags:bins, book - bins, book - containers, containers, storage
Reply Up