Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Knock Knock Knock Knock Knock Knock Knock
Unregistered 09:46 AM 08-14-2013
I have a just turned 5yo dcb with only 1.5 weeks left in care so this is really just a vent because it is almost over........when he gets here he knocks and knocks and knocks, I have made several comments to dad about it being unnecessary, etc. etc. I started off nicely saying things like "Wow, Dcb i would have never known who was here but since you were knocking continually i knew it had to be you". I have continued to make more direct comments to father and son with dcd always ending with " I tell him to stop but he just doesn't listen to me" REALLY!? Oh my, what shall we ever do if our kid won't listen i guess we will just let them do as they please.

Today, they show up while 10m old is napping AND i had my nap signs out, knock knock knock knock knock knock knock knock, i see baby lift her head (has only been asleep half an hour) puts head back down, knock knock knock knock knock knock, baby lifts head again, i open the door fuming mad and firmly say "dcb, the baby WAS sleeping but you just woke her up" *baby chimes in with loud cries* I start to go to pick up baby and dcd says "he was knocking quietly" so i replied with "he was knocking continually" baby is crying and dcd says to baby from across the room in pack and play "oh, its not that bad" so i pick up baby and calm her with " oh, my poor baby, those rude people woke you up knocking on the door" childish, i know, but what does it take to get through to these parents, i was just sooo mad.
craftymissbeth 09:51 AM 08-14-2013
I guess what it takes is you straight out telling dcd if he allows it again then they can find a daycare provider who doesn't mind it. I would be furious.
craftymissbeth 09:53 AM 08-14-2013
Oh they only have 1.5 weeks left? Term immediately then? That's disrespectful... dcd doesn't care one lick if his kid bothers other children.
countrymom 09:56 AM 08-14-2013
sometimes you have to be rude in order to get your point across. I would say term, but its only a couple more days.
Unregistered 10:05 AM 08-14-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Oh they only have 1.5 weeks left? Term immediately then? That's disrespectful... dcd doesn't care one lick if his kid bothers other children.
Thats what my husband said but with school starting the 26th and my daughters bday on the 26th I really want to keep any extra money I can, Plus one SA child has already keft for the summer and I will be losing another SA that same week as well as 1 that will be starting pre-k and the knocker who is starting Kinder so I will be down to 3 full timers.

I am SO looking forward to it. Although i know I will need to fill in the gaps soon, but I have been at max almost ALL summer so I am really at my TAKE NO CRAP level right now.
craftymissbeth 10:25 AM 08-14-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thats what my husband said but with school starting the 26th and my daughters bday on the 26th I really want to keep any extra money I can, Plus one SA child has already keft for the summer and I will be losing another SA that same week as well as 1 that will be starting pre-k and the knocker who is starting Kinder so I will be down to 3 full timers.

I am SO looking forward to it. Although i know I will need to fill in the gaps soon, but I have been at max almost ALL summer so I am really at my TAKE NO CRAP level right now.
Then I would suggest just being honest and up front with dcd. No passive statements... simply tell him something like "dcd, when dcb knocks repeatedly on my door it disrupts what is going on inside with the other children. Since you are unable to stop him from knocking more then once I have to insist he not knock at all. If you cannot find a way to keep him from knocking then care for dcb will be terminated immediately."

And just hope he fixes it so you don't have to term... but be prepared to follow through. Does your contract state you give refunds? Does it have anything in there about families respecting you and your home?
Play Care 10:28 AM 08-14-2013
I know his behavior is rude, especially since you have already requested he not do it. But I'm always hesitant to stoop to their level. Every day when I see the family pull up I would go to the door and open it, standing to the side, but blocking the door with my body. I'd lead the child in with a cheerful "good morning!" Wave to the parents and then shut the door. Every day for the next two weeks. Take the opportunity away so it's a non issue. Parents have already given up, so if you don't want to term immediately then make it so you can deal for the rest of the time.
daycarediva 10:33 AM 08-14-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I know his behavior is rude, especially since you have already requested he not do it. But I'm always hesitant to stoop to their level. Every day when I see the family pull up I would go to the door and open it, standing to the side, but blocking the door with my body. I'd lead the child in with a cheerful "good morning!" Wave to the parents and then shut the door. Every day for the next two weeks. Take the opportunity away so it's a non issue. Parents have already given up, so if you don't want to term immediately then make it so you can deal for the rest of the time.
I had a child repeatedly ring my doorbell (before 7am!) and the parent think it was cute. I have an open door policy, ringing an unlocked door before my family is awake is anything BUT cute. I disabled the doorbell. Dcm came in and said "Ohhh dcb was so sad that he didn't hear the ding dong! Is your bell broken?" to which I replied "No, dcm. I asked you several times to not have dcb ring it so we have turned it off completely as it was very disruptive to my family."
Play Care 10:42 AM 08-14-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I had a child repeatedly ring my doorbell (before 7am!) and the parent think it was cute. I have an open door policy, ringing an unlocked door before my family is awake is anything BUT cute. I disabled the doorbell. Dcm came in and said "Ohhh dcb was so sad that he didn't hear the ding dong! Is your bell broken?" to which I replied "No, dcm. I asked you several times to not have dcb ring it so we have turned it off completely as it was very disruptive to my family."
I actually have a no knocking/ doorbell ringing policy in my handbook

But I think you handled it professionally. Getting annoyed huffy while making passive aggressive comments usually serves no purpose.
crazydaycarelady 11:23 AM 08-14-2013
In a case like that I wouldn't even deal with the parents. I would have a talk with the child about why you do not want him to knock AT ALL and tell him what the consequences will be if he does it the next day (time-out, missed outside time, whatever.) The next day tell him he did a good job (assuming her did) and remind him the same deal applies the next day also.
Unregistered 02:01 PM 08-14-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
In a case like that I wouldn't even deal with the parents. I would have a talk with the child about why you do not want him to knock AT ALL and tell him what the consequences will be if he does it the next day (time-out, missed outside time, whatever.) The next day tell him he did a good job (assuming her did) and remind him the same deal applies the next day also.
Lol i tried that the day before yesterday (my husband even took the initiative to let the little boy know that he woke him up, he really didn't by the way) little boy showed up yesterday and did not knock, but was with mom and this seems to be the norm when with her. My husband and I both told him what a great job he did and then this morning he wakes the baby up, signs and all, i think the fact that i had my signs out was what really got to me.

I know i handled it incorrectly this morning but I just couldn't help myself. And as a previous poster said I have told the parent to stop letting him straight out to their face he still replies with "i tell him not to" at this point i really have no hope for these people, im just going to smile and bear it through the next week, i just needed to let out some frustration this morning when i posted, it just really grated on my nerves that he told me that the child "knocked quietly" and then proceeded to tell baby that it was "not that bad" a number of other things crossed my mind to tell him trust me.
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 08-14-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Lol i tried that the day before yesterday (my husband even took the initiative to let the little boy know that he woke him up, he really didn't by the way) little boy showed up yesterday and did not knock, but was with mom and this seems to be the norm when with her. My husband and I both told him what a great job he did and then this morning he wakes the baby up, signs and all, i think the fact that i had my signs out was what really got to me.

I know i handled it incorrectly this morning but I just couldn't help myself. And as a previous poster said I have told the parent to stop letting him straight out to their face he still replies with "i tell him not to" at this point i really have no hope for these people, im just going to smile and bear it through the next week, i just needed to let out some frustration this morning when i posted, it just really grated on my nerves that he told me that the child "knocked quietly" and then proceeded to tell baby that it was "not that bad" a number of other things crossed my mind to tell him trust me.
Maybe you could have your DH connect one of those "buzzer" type things to your door bell. Then when the DCK or the parent goes to ring it they will get zapped.

No, really.....if you are only putting up with them until school starts, I would probably try and watch for them to arrive and then open the door and greet them BEFORE the child has a chance to ring the bell or knock.

I have a sign posted by my light switch in the entry way. It's for my outside security light and the DCK's have always tried to mess with it.... so I put a sign near it that says "Please do not paly with switch".

One of my long time DCM's says one day "Why do you have this here? The kids can't read"

I said "No they can't but YOU can."

Of course, it was HER child that constantly played with the switch.
Unregistered 02:25 PM 08-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe you could have your DH connect one of those "buzzer" type things to your door bell. Then when the DCK or the parent goes to ring it they will get zapped.

No, really.....if you are only putting up with them until school starts, I would probably try and watch for them to arrive and then open the door and greet them BEFORE the child has a chance to ring the bell or knock.

I have a sign posted by my light switch in the entry way. It's for my outside security light and the DCK's have always tried to mess with it.... so I put a sign near it that says "Please do not paly with switch".

One of my long time DCM's says one day "Why do you have this here? The kids can't read"

I said "No they can't but YOU can."

Of course, it was HER child that constantly played with the switch.

Hilarious! I actually put a section in my new policies (for parents staying on for school year) to not let their child knock continually on the door, or ring the doorbell, because it is rude and disruptive to the other children I also put that they were not to allow them to play with the buttons that unlock the deadbolt because my security company does not like multiple attempts of accessing my home. :-)

When I opened my policies were 6 pages of large font type. 3 years and 3 policy revamps later they are 10 pages of small print, no matter how many times i think they couldn't possibly come up with anything else, they do.
Tags:bad behavior, banging, loud child
Reply Up