Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feel Bad...Toddler Got Hurt
SilverSabre25 12:16 PM 10-30-2012
but I really don't think I could have prevented it!

Toddler dcb was in the double stroller on our daily bus stop walk. It's not a side by side, it's the other kind and he rides in the back. I had the canopies pulled forward trying to shelter both toddlers from the bitter cold wind, and I guess that he was leaned forward, chewing on the back of the seat in front of him when the stroller wheels got hung up on a bump in the sidewalk, jolting the stroller pretty hard. He bit his lower lip and it bled quite a bit (as mouth wounds are wont to do) and there are clear tooth marks from his top teeth.

I feel awful. He cried terribly all the way home and while I cleaned him up and got a good look at it. He calmed down by the time I laid him down for nap though, but his little lip looks just awful.

We walk the same path everyday and the stroller has never gotten caught like that before.

I always dread telling parents about injuries. *sigh*
Heidi 12:21 PM 10-30-2012
I always call them if it's on the face. I hate when they walk in and see something like that without warning.

Something like "hey, just so you know, Kiddo isn't quite as pretty now as when you left him here this morning. He has a bit of a fat lip". Then explain...
lovemykidstoo 12:23 PM 10-30-2012
Poor baby. I hate it when the kids get hurt too. Thankfuly it doesn't happen too often. That does not sound like it was preventable at all. Worst one I had was a dcb that took a header in my driveway once. That was bad. Scratched his face pretty bad. I felt terrible.
sharlan 01:28 PM 10-30-2012
I always hate when they get hurt on the face. The bleed so much worse than anywhere else. Plus, I'm always afraid that they will scar.

My 9 yo tripped over my 3 yo last week. Poor thing ended up with both lips split and scraped, plus the whole side of her little nose scraped from the concrete. I had to carry her 3 houses with blood pouring all over both of us and the stroller.
Lilbutterflie 02:15 PM 10-30-2012
I typically call the parent if it's a decent injury, too. That way they aren't too surprised when they pick up; and somehow I think it reassures them that you are addressing it immediately.

Do not feel bad! Accidents happen, and like you said; you probably could not have prevented it. The nice thing is that injuries inside the mouth heal a lot faster than other injuries. My DD fell into the side of our coffee table once and bit her top & bottom lip with both of her top and both of her bottom teeth. Fortunately for us, it didn't bite the entire lip through so she did not need stitches. But it looked AWFUL! And it hurt her so bad. It was the worst injury she has had other than her broken wrist. With all of the blood, it was the most horrifying for sure!

I really hope the parents are understanding. I have found most of my parents have been super understanding with injuries.
Reply Up