Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Opinions...
Kabob 08:39 AM 01-23-2014
So I've been interviewing families to replace the one I lost and the response has been good. I have 3 families lined up that I'm partially through going through the second interview with and so far so good...each has their strengths and weaknesses.

The problem I am having is with a current family. They went from following my policies and being honest to suddenly questioning everything and making up stories about their children and my practices to suit their needs. They have a 2.5 yr old dcg that they keep insisting is potty trained and have tested my policy on that repeatedly. The most recent comment from dcm after discussing my policy with her again was "Well she didn't really poop her pullup. She just doesn't wipe well which I know you said she needs to work on but I do it all the time for her at home or else she gets poop in her pullup. So you just need to wipe her better." I told her as per my policy it was another reason why I couldn't accept her in underwear and she got huffy. Most recently dcm has tested me with 2 month old baby by sending her here Monday after she KNEW baby hadn't been eating ALL WEEKEND and was lethargic because she didn't want to use more time off but didn't tell me any of this until after I called saying she needed to pick up because baby was not eating and wasn't acting normal. Then she fought me on this by calling and saying that baby is "all better now" and that baby wasn't eating for dcd but would eat for her so she thought baby was just being picky. I asked if that was because she only wanted to breastfeed and dcm said yes...so then I said well I can't give her a boob here so she'll have to stay home. Dcm then said "well she's acting normal otherwise. She only vomits when she coughs or after we give her the meds." Again I said vomiting is vomiting and it's not happening here. Dcm said she'll lose her job...again...

So basically that got me thinking about taking the risk with replacing this family with a new one.

My options are:

16 month old boy who never has been in daycare but the parents interacted with him well here and he played well with ds. Parents would drop off at 7:30am and pick up by 4:30pm. They would need 3 days a week.

4 yr old boy who never has been in daycare. Single mom who said she was looking for care because she "has to get him socialized some time." Little worried about that and his apparent spoiled behavior she described at home. She would need to arrange someone to pick up and drop off as she works before and after my hours (7am-5pm) but is willing to do that. 3 days a week is what she needs.

Family of 4 boys with 3 being enrolled for sure: 1 yr old, 3 yr old, and 5 yr old. 8:30am to 4:30pm around 3 to 4 days a week. The dad didn't seem to like me much but I'm hoping to clear that up at the second interview. They used to run a daycare. Both parents work at the same location. Parents were not shy about disciplining their kids in front of me. Just worried about the dad's personality not meshing here. Otherwise they made plans for 5 yr old to get transportation to preschool and the eldest most likely would attend an after school program so I didn't mention him.

All have reviewed my handbook and contract and want to sign up for the first week of February.

The problem is that if I take a risk and replace the problem family with the big family and one child, I wouldn't be able to give 2 week notice...I can term at will but I don't want to cause hard feelings.

So...what option would you pick?
KidGrind 08:46 AM 01-23-2014
16 month old gets my vote.
coolconfidentme 08:50 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Mine too!!!
DaycareMom 08:52 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:

Totally agree. 3 days/week and fits your schedule and he's young enough for you to "mold" him lol
Cat Herder 08:52 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
I can term at will but I don't want to cause hard feelings
The first thing I see is that you have to let this go to make a rational decision.

No matter how politely you term a family for not following policies, it will cause hard feelings. Adults don't like being told no when there is money involved. Period. Dot.

After that, go with your gut.
Kabob 08:53 AM 01-23-2014
Lol I really liked the 16m old family too based on how well I clicked with the family from the get go...the last family I enrolled like that turned out to be my best family ever so far...
Kabob 08:56 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The first thing I see is that you have to let this go to make a rational decision.

No matter how politely you term a family for not following policies, it will cause hard feelings. Adults don't like being told no when there is money involved. Period. Dot.

After that, go with your gut.

Yeah...I'm trying not to be emotional about this but I worry emotions have led me to this thought to begin with...plus I apparently stink at picking the right families. I weeded out a few this time that I would've taken in the past....so I am learning.
Play Care 09:03 AM 01-23-2014
I was going to say the toddler as well. I took on a family of boys last year and termed within a week. They had been home with mom since birth and the kids were terribly behaved. I say a child over 2 who doesn't have good day care experience will probably not be a good fit for my program
Kabob 12:53 PM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I was going to say the toddler as well. I took on a family of boys last year and termed within a week. They had been home with mom since birth and the kids were terribly behaved. I say a child over 2 who doesn't have good day care experience will probably not be a good fit for my program
Good point. I mean these boys were in their mom's daycare so I don't know if that makes a difference since I've never enrolled children from family that used to run a daycare. Anyone ever have experience with that?

The last family I had that never put their 4 kids in daycare before did terrible. The kids adjusted but the parents never did...they kept trying to treat me like I was their nanny. Didn't work out for them.
Kabob 09:00 PM 01-24-2014
Well I went with the toddler after realizing that I would be dealing with introducing 3 maybe 4 new children to daycare at once. That combined with the dad's (I still don't know his name) attitude kind of worried me about how well everyone would adjust. Besides that I had a very good interview with the parents of the toddler.

So I emailed everyone else and let them know the opening was filled and thanked them for their time.

For some reason the mom of the 4 boys took it personally and made a comment that I didn't seem happy with her boys anyway. I was shocked. I thought that she of all people would take it well since she did daycare and so I thought would understand and not take it personally. I guess not. I was feeling super guilty about turning them down based mainly on the dad's behavior and my desire to not "rock the boat" (especially since I thought it might be nice going with a slightly older group and replacing a difficult family in the process) but not anymore...
TwinKristi 09:13 PM 01-24-2014
Ewww how rude!! It's better to take the high road and just ignore it but sometimes I want to say "then aren't you happy I didn't choose you? But it was actually your husband's coldness that sealed the deal!" LOL

Glad the 16 month old can work out for you! Sounds like the best investment for your time anyway. While having 3 kids would be more money, it would be a lot of work as well and a family that didn't seem to jive. The 4yr old is going to go to Kindy soon anyway so only 18mos max!
Reply Up