Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Spiders
daycare 01:24 PM 09-04-2014
So my youngest son and daughter have been getting bites/bumps all over them. They are the only ones in the house that have them. At some point all of my children sleep in my bed. I know sounds weird, but they do.; My daughter comes home and naps in my bed after school and my son still co-sleeps with us. the bites appeared about a week ago

the bites are BAD. They are from head to toe. We have done the following:

last month professional exterminator
we have bombed the entire house, changed every single linen, bedding,

carpets professionally cleaned

inspected for bed bugs, no
mites, no

Today they went to the doc and the doc says they are spider bites. My question is why are they the only two getting the bites. Not one daycare kid, my husband, cats or other son has gotten one bite.

I am not sure that I am buying it. Just this morning my son woke up heading out the door and the sun hit his face I could see about 10-12 bumps all across his forehead............................

UGH what else can I do....currently I am trying to find a spider to catch in my house so I can find out what kind it is....

Any advice on how to stop this? What did I miss cleaning wise??
TwinKristi 02:40 PM 09-04-2014
Well it IS spider season so I think it's definitely possible. This is when we have the most spider activity here. My kids all have spider bites too actually. I think I got 1 recently but the kids have them more often and I'm finding more crawling around. None if my DCKs have them either but I think it's more of a night time thing. They crawl around and bite us while we sleep since they like dark cool environments. They sleep in the nooks and crannies of our house and come out when we sleep. LOL
I would probably spray the bedrooms with store bought stuff on the weekend. Spray the perimeter if the room along the floors and ceilings, windows, vents, etc. under beds and wash all the linens and just really move stuff around if have to. If you have a plan with an exterminator explain that you're still having spiders and need a follow up visit or call another one.
Thriftylady 02:43 PM 09-04-2014
Are you sure they are happening at home? Could they be getting it someplace else and it takes awhile to see them?
daycare 02:43 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Well it IS spider season so I think it's definitely possible. This is when we have the most spider activity here. My kids all have spider bites too actually. I think I got 1 recently but the kids have them more often and I'm finding more crawling around. None if my DCKs have them either but I think it's more of a night time thing. They crawl around and bite us while we sleep since they like dark cool environments. They sleep in the nooks and crannies of our house and come out when we sleep. LOL
I would probably spray the bedrooms with store bought stuff on the weekend. Spray the perimeter if the room along the floors and ceilings, windows, vents, etc. under beds and wash all the linens and just really move stuff around if have to. If you have a plan with an exterminator explain that you're still having spiders and need a follow up visit or call another one.
hmm that makes lots of sense.....my new house has a TON of trees around it, unlike my old house...I hate spiders. I think maybe its time to sleep with the cats indoors so they can eat them....lol

thanks for letting me know this...I don't know anything about spiders....obviously...lol
daycare 02:47 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Are you sure they are happening at home? Could they be getting it someplace else and it takes awhile to see them?
school would be the only other place, but then it would not explain why no one else had them....i just thought maybe it was my room as this was the common place we all go....

when I am telling my husband about what TK said, about they come out at night, he said that the doc did say that would explain why my kids have them and not DCks..

thanks TK......
TwinKristi 02:51 PM 09-04-2014
LOL Oh I hate spiders. Hate hate hate them!! I have noticed the trend in the last couple years that when we walked by this one house right next to the school that there was always a TON of spiders in the Juniper bushes from when school started til the first rain or frost. Then once we moved here we saw more and more of the juniper bush spiders. One was really big and I hated walking by it!! I was so happy when it rained and he was gone. Remember the Itsy Bitsy Spider song?? LOL
My kids get nasty big swollen bites from spiders and Mosquitos are usually smaller. They usually get a cluster of bites from fleas or Mosquitos. We haven't had fleas in a LONG time. But spider bites I notice in a single big bite or 3's.
daycare 03:07 PM 09-04-2014
LOL Oh I hate spiders. Hate hate hate them!! I have noticed the trend in the last couple years that when we walked by this one house right next to the school that there was always a TON of spiders in the Juniper bushes from when school started til the first rain or frost. Then once we moved here we saw more and more of the juniper bush spiders. One was really big and I hated walking by it!! I was so happy when it rained and he was gone. Remember the Itsy Bitsy Spider song?? LOL
My kids get nasty big swollen bites from spiders and Mosquitos are usually smaller. They usually get a cluster of bites from fleas or Mosquitos. We haven't had fleas in a LONG time. But spider bites I notice in a single big bite or 3's.
yeah the bites are big....my first thought was fleas, I took my cats in to get checked and they came back clear. so I was like WTH.... lol

Yeah I have the potty mouth thing going on...sorry.

so now I can't stop itching all over......
Thriftylady 03:18 PM 09-04-2014
But if it was your bed, wouldn't you and DH have them?
daycare 03:20 PM 09-04-2014
But if it was your bed, wouldn't you and DH have them?
I guess they don't like us....lol I don't have any my husband has had 1...my older son also sleeps in my bed at time and he has zero....

I am not juicy I guess....or tasty...lol
Thriftylady 03:26 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I guess they don't like us....lol I don't have any my husband has had 1...my older son also sleeps in my bed at time and he has zero....

I am not juicy I guess....or tasty...lol
ROFL!!!! Daycare, I really like you!!!!
daycare 03:30 PM 09-04-2014
ROFL!!!! Daycare, I really like you!!!!
lol, well. I am glad you like me and not the spiders.....lol BTW I sent you a PM.

I can't stop itching....its all in my head...you know tonight I am going to be sleeping in my car.....
Thriftylady 03:45 PM 09-04-2014
lol, well. I am glad you like me and not the spiders.....lol BTW I sent you a PM.

I can't stop itching....its all in my head...you know tonight I am going to be sleeping in my car.....
Aww you live quite far from me, I promise not to bite!!! Heck my car won't even get to mars. Get a lot of kids there?
AmyKidsCo 04:45 PM 09-04-2014
Now I'm itchy all over too!
Leigh 07:22 PM 09-04-2014
I'm the only one at my house that ever gets bit, too! I use Cutter Bug Free Backyard spray in the yard. I spray everything outside with it (even my house, especially around windows, doorways, and the foundation). It really helps keep spiders away around here (as well as LOTS of other bugs!).
Second Home 03:39 AM 09-05-2014
Is there another place at home that your dd & ds go that you normally don't go into a lot . The basement or one of their rooms ? A place in the yard ?
I just find it weird that you and your dh do not get any bites but the kids get a lot . Maybe it is not your room but another area your kids spend more time in than you do .
DaveA 05:50 AM 09-05-2014
I'm the opposite- I hate killing spiders. I wouldn't want one as a pet, but they are fascinating to me. I try to catch and release them if I find them in the house. Drives my wife nuts. I once had a state biologist tell me there is a 90% chance you're within 15 feet of a spider at any given time.

We had something infest our mattress a few months ago. Washed everything in hot water/ stain cycle. Heavily sprayed the mattress (I might have gone a little thermonuclear on it) with bleach water, then sprayed it with a febreeze-type spray made with eucalyptus ( I forget the name). Took care of the problem.
TickleMonster 06:08 AM 09-05-2014
Ugh we have the spider issue too. I have a pest control company that comes out every 90 days but we can call them back out anytime we need them as we are under warranty. Needless to say, after the 8 legged monster I saw this weekend, pest control got an immediate call! I also buy my own repellants and spray for good measure, seeing as how Missouri is notorious for bugs. I found a great spider spray. I think its the Terro brand. Its a bright orange bottle with a hidieous spider across the front. The spray is VERY potent! I cannot use it with any of the kids in the house or my mother because it kills her asthma. So on the weekends when we are headed out somewhere, Id quickly spray the house while the others are in the car. Hold your breath because it will make you gag but believe me, not a bug will survive it!!
Baby Beluga 07:11 AM 09-05-2014
Another thing you could use to help is glue traps. They are these cardboard squares you can get at any home improvement store that has a super sticky glue on them. Most have some sort of pheromone or scent to attract the bugs to the glue, then they are stuck there forever.

Where I am we get scorpions, so I have these traps all over my house (out of reach of little hands of course). In the cabinets, under beds, under the couch, in closets, in the garage, etc. But I've noticed when I go to change them out I have always 'caught' a few spiders as well.
TickleMonster 07:19 AM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Another thing you could use to help is glue traps. They are these cardboard squares you can get at any home improvement store that has a super sticky glue on them. Most have some sort of pheromone or scent to attract the bugs to the glue, then they are stuck there forever.

Where I am we get scorpions, so I have these traps all over my house (out of reach of little hands of course). In the cabinets, under beds, under the couch, in closets, in the garage, etc. But I've noticed when I go to change them out I have always 'caught' a few spiders as well.
Yep we use the glue traps too. Very handy! Also meant to say that if you want to go a more natural route, there are certain smells and herbs that spiders really dislike. I believe lemon is one of them. You can look it up online. I know for ants, they hate anything spicey or minty so when we had an ant problem, I created a cayeanne pepper and vingar spray and sprayed it where ever we saw ants. Also, and I know this sounds strange, but we smeared toothpaste on the undersides of the cabinets and placed mint leaves in bowls on the counters and within a few days, the ants had vanished. So maybe see what herbs spiders hate and try that!
daycare 08:21 AM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I'm the opposite- I hate killing spiders. I wouldn't want one as a pet, but they are fascinating to me. I try to catch and release them if I find them in the house. Drives my wife nuts. I once had a state biologist tell me there is a 90% chance you're within 15 feet of a spider at any given time.

We had something infest our mattress a few months ago. Washed everything in hot water/ stain cycle. Heavily sprayed the mattress (I might have gone a little thermonuclear on it) with bleach water, then sprayed it with a febreeze-type spray made with eucalyptus ( I forget the name). Took care of the problem.
mind flying to my house and becoming a nocturnal spider saver?

I was up all night long tossing and turning thinking about these stupid spiders. I swore on my life that I was getting bitten.....woke up with just wonderful starches that I gave myself.

Looks like I need to clip my nails today...lol
TwinKristi 09:18 AM 09-05-2014
LOL in comparison CA has very limited pest issues. Haha! Spiders here are about 1/4 of the size in most places. We do have some dessert Turantulas and such but they don't usually come in and bite. Brown Recluse spiders don't even live here but have reportedly bitten thousands of people LOL They're brought in on trucks and trains and such but aren't native to CA.
daycare 10:00 AM 09-05-2014
LOL in comparison CA has very limited pest issues. Haha! Spiders here are about 1/4 of the size in most places. We do have some dessert Turantulas and such but they don't usually come in and bite. Brown Recluse spiders don't even live here but have reportedly bitten thousands of people LOL They're brought in on trucks and trains and such but aren't native to CA.
ever hear about henry coe park....its home to turantulas....so guess what I have inmy back yard????
mom2many 10:03 AM 09-05-2014
In 30 years of living here, I have never ever seen a black widow. However, this past summer there were 3 in our backyard! Two on our pool deck on separate ends of the pool area & the other inside my hubby's man cave that is also on our pool deck. (All 3 places are off limit to daycare kids...but freaked me out, because my 2 yo granddaughter is often around these areas on the weekends. We sprayed, so hopefully that's the end of them!!!!
TwinKristi 10:25 AM 09-05-2014
ever hear about henry coe park....its home to turantulas....so guess what I have inmy back yard????
Yeah we've been there! We rode our bikes around their path and such! Never knew it was Tarantula land!! LOL I've only seen them in the country up near Sacramento and such.
Play Care 10:29 AM 09-05-2014
Why did I read this thread?! My skin is crawling!!
Reply Up