Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Jury Duty
DaycareMom 10:38 AM 11-18-2014
I have been summoned for jury duty. ugh!

Have any of you had to deal with this? Do you make the parents still pay you? I need my income and there is virtually no way out of getting out of it.

I know it could only be one day but it could also potentially be weeks!

Any suggestions?
Annalee 10:40 AM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I have been summoned for jury duty. ugh!

Have any of you had to deal with this? Do you make the parents still pay you? I need my income and there is virtually no way out of getting out of it.

I know it could only be one day but it could also potentially be weeks!

Any suggestions?
Licensing helped me write a letter about working in child care and how I could NOT put just anyone in my child care facility and I was let off!
DaycareMom 10:47 AM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Licensing helped me write a letter about working in child care and how I could NOT put just anyone in my child care facility and I was let off!
Unfortunately I am unlicensed.
snbauser 11:18 AM 11-18-2014
I've only been summoned once n the last 11 year **knock on wood** I wrote a letter that said something about being the primary care giver for xx number of kids and how me having to close would not only require me to find care for my own kids, it would also require xx number of parents to either miss work or find alternate care for their kids as well along with being out the income for the day(s). I was excused.
Margarete 11:23 AM 11-18-2014
Some exemptions allowed here that you may/ or may not be able to use to show a hardship where you live

Are you the sole breadwinner of your household and self employed?

Do you provide "unpaid" childcare for your own (or someone else's) children during the day?

We can also postpone jury duty as a "teacher" or student to our next school break.
Blackcat31 11:38 AM 11-18-2014
Other threads about jury duty

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=jury+duty
Neekie 12:11 PM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I've only been summoned once n the last 11 year **knock on wood** I wrote a letter that said something about being the primary care giver for xx number of kids and how me having to close would not only require me to find care for my own kids, it would also require xx number of parents to either miss work or find alternate care for their kids as well along with being out the income for the day(s). I was excused.
Yes, I did this twice and I was excused both times. I don't think it matters if you are regulated or not. I didn't need anything from the state or the county.
Maggie 12:48 PM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
This didn't work for me and at the time I had the kids of 2 state troopers, two teachers and a hospital employee. I was only needed for one day and everyone paid. Had I been needed for longer I probably would have given a discount.
crazydaycarelady 01:37 PM 11-18-2014
I have been called multiple times but always gotten off when I explain my circumstances. Our summons come with a questionnaire but if it didn't I would include a letter. I actually wouldn't mind jury duty but I simply can't afford to be paid $12 a day and don't feel like I can charge when the parents would have to find other care and pay for it. When I am retired I'll do it.
daycare 01:39 PM 11-18-2014
plead insanity.....lol jk.

I had to go in to explain why I could not serve and was let off.
Reply Up