Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Before the Walkthrough
Pandaluver21 09:08 PM 08-02-2018
I have parents fill out an application before setting up a walkthrough. This gives me an idea of what days and hours they will need, as well as the kids birthday (so I have exact age) and any other special information about them.

However, I think it's freaking parents out that I'm calling it an application. Does anyone have a 'before walkthrough questionnaire' that they send to families?
CityGarden 10:35 PM 08-02-2018
I have a pre-enrollment form that is required prior to scheduling a tour.

I have ask basics: Name (parent & child), address, phone, email, age of child, schedule request, desired start date, blank space for any comments. (This is off the top of my head, so I may be leaving something out.)

I have not had any push back on it but occasionally a parent will just email me saying they want a tour.... I think send them a link to the pre-enrollment form. I have considered switching the name to Tour Request Form..... but for now this has been working.
Josiegirl 02:12 AM 08-03-2018
Do they contact you through email or by phone mostly? All I do is ask via phone/email? I ask the standard questions too, age/gender, allergies, their hours needed, child's previous care history, and what PP mentioned. I also email them a copy of my policies and welcome letter so they have enough info to decide whether they need to keep looking. I tell them to read through my policies and if they have any questions, just to call or email back.
Baby Beluga 07:14 AM 08-03-2018
I have "pre-interview questions" so I can "tailor their tour here."

Age of child (if it hasn't already come up)

Desired schedule (full time part/part time) and desired drop off/pick up times

Has child attended a child care program before? If so, why are they seeking new care?

What is parent is looking for in a provider and program?

What social, emotional and educational goals does parent want child to work on while in care?

Does child have any allergies (food or otherwise) I should know about?

Does child have any health concerns I should know about?

Child's potty training status

Does parent have back up care in the event of an emergency?

I also ask parents to tell me about their child - any likes, dislikes, fears, etc. (I use this information to make sure something the child likes is out. Child likes dinosaurs? I have dinosaur books and figures out for them to explore)

I have debated adding in asking if there are any custody arrangements I need to know about, but I am on the fence about asking that before meeting.
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 08-03-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

I have debated adding in asking if there are any custody arrangements I need to know about, but I am on the fence about asking that before meeting.
I ask about this but say it like this:

"Are there any other family members or extended family members that spend specified time with DCK or have legal authority to speak/ack on child's behalf?"

I ask because it is relevant information to have and something I want to know ahead of time.
Baby Beluga 08:39 AM 08-03-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I ask about this but say it like this:

"Are there any other family members or extended family members that spend specified time with DCK or have legal authority to speak/ack on child's behalf?"

I ask because it is relevant information to have and something I want to know ahead of time.
That's a perfect way of wording it, thank you! May I use it?

I struggled to find a kind way to ask. It's often a touchy subject for many families (especially if the split/divorce is new) but is still information we need to know as providers.
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 08-03-2018
That's a perfect way of wording it, thank you! May I use it?

I struggled to find a kind way to ask. It's often a touchy subject for many families (especially if the split/divorce is new) but is still information we need to know as providers.
You sure can!
Pandaluver21 12:25 PM 08-03-2018

My current application just says:
Child Lives with: (they check mom, dad, or write in other)
Has custody: (same as above)
Tags:form - all about your child, tours
Reply Up