Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Girl Doesn't Nap
LeslieG 11:30 AM 08-07-2018
We just started an almost 3 year old girl (2days per week). We knew from the interview that she doesn't nap at home (also, she's never been in daycare before). We thought we'd try taking her because we've had other kids start not the greatest nappers, but they have all at least rested quietly on their sleeping bags. That is not the case for this girl.

She's currently screaming in a pack n play upstairs because she would not stay on her sleeping bag and was crying uncontrollably, keeping all the other kids awake. We didn't know what else to do.

I'm worried that she's not going to get used to quiet time since she only comes 2 days per week.

She is otherwise very good! Wwyd?
Jo123ABC 11:37 AM 08-07-2018
I'm betting you're not going to be able to get her to nap because she's only there 2 days a week. Though she should be old enough to understand the concept of quiet time. She probably is still going to fight it though. Maybe she would quietly read a book or something?
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 08-07-2018
What would I do?

I’d call for pick up and say I’m not the right program for “Little Miss Non-napper”....

I refuse to allow a child (a part time) dictate my day and the other kids’ day. Not worth it for 2 days a week
Blackcat31 11:48 AM 08-07-2018
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
She's currently screaming in a pack n play upstairs because she would not stay on her sleeping bag and was crying uncontrollably, keeping all the other kids awake. We didn't know what else to do.
I’d be careful doing that....I’ve seen ALOT of write ups for that on the DHS naughty list.... it’s possible someone could consider that confinement and/or punishment for not napping and neither is viewed as developmental appropriate
boy_mom 12:07 PM 08-07-2018
My daycare program was part timers only, so kids came 1-3 days per week. This child will probably not adjust to nap time if she doesn't take one the other 5 days at home! I quickly learned that part time families had to be pretty much on the same page as my program before starting care in order to be a good fit.

She may adjust to quiet time, but I don't think I'd have the patience for that process! If she is excessively crying, I would call for pick up.
LysesKids 12:29 PM 08-07-2018

I agree with BC; PnP's are a No no because it's considered confinement. At that age, if she won't sit quietly paying with a small toy or looking at a picture book, I too would call and let mom know it's time for pick up and that I'm not the right childcare for the family.
amberrose3dg 01:08 PM 08-07-2018
We just started an almost 3 year old girl (2days per week). We knew from the interview that she doesn't nap at home (also, she's never been in daycare before). We thought we'd try taking her because we've had other kids start not the greatest nappers, but they have all at least rested quietly on their sleeping bags. That is not the case for this girl.

I'm worried that she's not going to get used to quiet time since she only comes 2 days per week.

She is otherwise very good! Wwyd?
That be something I wouldnt want to deal with especially for a part-time child.
LeslieG 01:19 PM 08-07-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I’d be careful doing that....I’ve seen ALOT of write ups for that on the DHS naughty list.... it’s possible someone could consider that confinement and/or punishment for not napping and neither is viewed as developmental appropriate
I did not know this! I read not meaning to punish her, I just literally had no where else for her to go. I tried a sleeping bag upstairs but she just kept screaming and running out of the room.

I don't think this is going to work out!
Blackcat31 01:43 PM 08-07-2018
I did not know this! I read not meaning to punish her, I just literally had no where else for her to go. I tried a sleeping bag upstairs but she just kept screaming and running out of the room.

Oh I agree with you...I don’t think that’s punishment either but I know that the state has really been cracking down on that type of thing so just wanted to give you heads up

Seems any type of discipline is no longer acceptable and redirection is our only course of action

I would definitely think twice about keeping a child that is this stressful for only two days a week
amberrose3dg 02:37 PM 08-07-2018

It's hard to get older kids to adjust to structure of daycare.part time makes it harder.i doubt it will work out.
CityGarden 02:41 PM 08-07-2018
Most of my dcks are PT and I love them!!! I think you will get the opposite of what you desire by getting frustrated or trying to fight her into submission....

I do the following:

Communicate with the parent(s) that a quiet time of X amount of time is required by licensing and that you do not require children to sleep but they will have to stay on their mat/sleeping bag quietly and do X (read, puzzles, lay quietly, etc.). If I have an issue with a child disrupting others during nap I email the parent reminding them of the policy and asking them to partner with me to remind their child they have to lay quietly during that time. I also suggest they institute a quiet time at home of X amount of time doing the same thing we do here and detail exactly what that is.

All the the kids here know the routine.... it is the same each day and I think is friendly with nappers and non-nappers.

Lunch
Potty & wash hands
Lay on nap mat (in room with black out curtains and AC on, I close the curtains during lunch)
They "read" books on their nap mats until all the dcks are in the room (so I can help with bathroom time)
When all are laying down I put on an audio book and I tell the older non-nappers after the audio book is over they can read quietly on their mat (I pay attention to the length of the audio book and pick things like Mr. Popper's Penguins, Charlotte's Web, Fudge, Super Fudge, etc.)

NOTES: I never require they be "inside" their nap mat blanket as different bodies run on different temperatures but their bodies have to be completely on it. Also I know some states have rules/limits on "audio" and consider it the same a screen time.... I honestly could not imagine naptime without our audio books! I play the same audio book for several days/weeks.

Most of the dcks will end up napping but I do exercise them both mentally and physically a great deal prior to nap. All of them LOVE the audio books and even if they don't nap they tend to look forward to the special time and the stories.

There has only been one child I had to term over naps and the family made poor sleep changes including switching to a toddler bed and locking the child in their room at night in the name of "sleep training" he had to go back to 1/2 day pick up (which is what his initial contract was for).

Other ideas:

You can try to "partner" with dcg telling her to pretend to sleep until all the other kids are sleep then she can read?

Ask DCM to increase to 3 days per week or only 1/2 days picking up before nap?

Best of luck!!!
Tags:age appropriate - curriculum, confinement equipment, discipline - positive, regulations
Reply Up