Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Registration Fee, What Are They For?
nancy123 05:48 AM 03-15-2011
I have been paying registration fees every year(for 4 years now) and have never asked what they are for. What is the money used for?
nannyde 06:01 AM 03-15-2011
For me: Covers the cost of the interview process and paperwork to build the child's file.
nancy123 06:09 AM 03-15-2011
But they need $50 per child, every year.
Cat Herder 06:13 AM 03-15-2011
For me: Helps cover the cost of personal infant supplies that I supply like a new PNP, changing pad, linens, floor gym, etc.. And the office supplies to build your child's file as Nan stated above.

I only enroll infants

I think everyone has a specified use? Did they not cover it in the handbook? That would be odd IMHO...
DCMomOf3 06:13 AM 03-15-2011
That seems strange to me. A registration fee, to me, is logical on first enrollment, but not yearly. If it's a yearly supply fee, that could be justified.

Have you asked your provider why they charge that every year?
Cat Herder 06:17 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by nancy123:
But they need $50 per child, every year.
I do know the large centers I worked in used them to cover accountant fees and for the upkeep of medical/accident files by a dedicated employee (covered their salary). Keeping up with 300+ immunization forms, boo-boo reports, allergy management forms, special needs forms and looking for patterns of injuries in specific rooms to investigate is a pretty big task...
youretooloud 07:49 AM 03-15-2011
I used it as a materials fee. But, I called it a materials fee. Every August, the parents gave me $50, and within the month, I had huge boxes of new toys, paint, paper. Some years, I spent most of it on one large toy, and some years, I restocked my entire craft closet. Some years, it was new manipulatives.
daycare 08:24 AM 03-15-2011
does your daycare raise their fees at all? I used to do this instead of asking for a raise. You do have to think about the fact that things are getting more expensive every year and that somehow they have to offset the cost of those items that are NEEDED, like toilet paper, Insurance and etc.

If they are not asking for a rate increase each year, I think this would be fine.
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 03-15-2011
If you are on state childcare assistance, the state will pay a provider a registration fee and an activity fee once per year per family but ONLY if the provider charges all families the same fees.....could your provider be collecting from the state for those on assistance and charging you as well to stay legal? I know the maximum paid for each in my state is pretty high so ???? just saying...
daycare 08:29 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If you are on state childcare assistance, the state will pay a provider a registration fee and an activity fee once per year per family but ONLY if the provider charges all families the same fees.....could your provider be collecting from the state for those on assistance and charging you as well to stay legal? I know the maximum paid for each in my state is pretty high so ???? just saying...
this is a great point.. I dont know anything about state assistance because I dont take any in my care, but that is very true. I do recall hearing this at one of my meetings
JenNJ 10:19 AM 03-15-2011
I charge a $50 registration fee which covers paperwork, buying a chubby, pack n play/nap mat, personal set of cups, and personal educational materials. Each September I charge families a $40 supply fee per child which covers any personal items that need to be replaced and replacing toys, books, and other items in the daycare.
TBird 05:09 PM 03-15-2011
It sounds like more of a yearly supply/maintenance fee rather than a registration fee. My registration fee covers paperwork, etc. This is secondary, but it also lets me know that the parents are serious about joining my group.
Unregistered 09:26 PM 03-15-2011
OP, maybe you could ask the provider specificallly what the fee will be used for. It's not wrong of her to charge the fee each year. My arts and crafts budget is pretty big and the products aren't always cheep. There are also some providers who do field trips and that costs money. Keep that in mind so that you can see that your money is paying for a great daycare experiences.
missnikki 01:18 PM 03-16-2011
For my program, it helps defray the cost of handbook, paperwork, billing, stamps, etc...not a 'billing' fee, but an administrative fee to ensure you have a spot in our records and data upkeep, which is done far more often than annually.
Unregistered 04:14 PM 12-11-2011
I too think that it's absurd to charge that fee. Registration fee means to register initially. Filling out paperwork and what not. If it's being used for any other reason besides that then it is not a registration fee, it is just a fee.

The daycare my daughter is in charges that fee every year but our state assistance program only pays it once and thats the first year you enroll. I think that if your child is not disenrolled then each year that reg fee does not need to be charged. If that money is being used for any other reason besides the registration of the child, it is not a reg fee. If you are using it for supplies tax wise, it's income to you. It's a donation to the parent and they should be receiving a tax donation form. If it's being used to pay salaries then it needs to be noted as an annual non refundable fee not a registration fee.

I'm an accountant and tax advisor. Charging a fee for something and using it for something else is against the law and punishable by the IRS.
CheekyChick 05:03 AM 12-12-2011
I charge a one time small registration fee. That covers my time interviewing the family, giving them a packet with a Parent Handbook. If they enroll, I mail them an enrollment packet.

I can't see why someone would charge that fee every year.
Nellie 04:46 PM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I too think that it's absurd to charge that fee. Registration fee means to register initially. Filling out paperwork and what not. If it's being used for any other reason besides that then it is not a registration fee, it is just a fee.

The daycare my daughter is in charges that fee every year but our state assistance program only pays it once and thats the first year you enroll. I think that if your child is not disenrolled then each year that reg fee does not need to be charged. If that money is being used for any other reason besides the registration of the child, it is not a reg fee. If you are using it for supplies tax wise, it's income to you. It's a donation to the parent and they should be receiving a tax donation form. If it's being used to pay salaries then it needs to be noted as an annual non refundable fee not a registration fee.

I'm an accountant and tax advisor. Charging a fee for something and using it for something else is against the law and punishable by the IRS.
I think you mean deduction instead of donation? All fee's wether material, registration, or non refundable yearly fees are income to the business. Every penny a parent provides to the daycare for the care of their child is recorded and parents are given yearly statements for their taxes. This includes late fee's, weekly tuition, yearly fee's, tips, and bonuses. Do you want to do my taxes?
Nellie 04:55 PM 12-13-2011

I think you mean deduction instead of donation? All fee's wether material, registration, or non refundable yearly fees are income to the business. Every penny a parent provides to the daycare for the care of their child is recorded and parents are given yearly statements for their taxes. This includes late fee's, weekly tuition, yearly fee's, tips, and bonuses. Do you want to do my taxes?
wdmmom 02:31 PM 12-14-2011
I charge a one time enrollment fee of $50 per child. This covers the cost of the handbook, my interview time, and the costs associated with building the child's file.

I also charge a supply fee each consecutive year on their anniversary month. The supply fee covers expenses associated with crafts, toilet paper, kleenex, paper towels, paint, paper, ink for the printer, etc.

I previously asked for parents to donate items and they were very good at it but I wound up with ten times the amount of the cheapest item. Example: I got 16 glue sticks, 5 bottles of glue, 1 pack of construction paper and 1 box of tissues!
Unregistered 02:40 PM 12-17-2011
I charge an initial reg fee $25 per kid. Covers the cost of paperwork printed, files for each child and my time to interview. I do not charge a yearly fee. I think if you preger your provider can change the title to supply fee and charge it yearly or raise rates to cover whatever she is using the money for.
Kim 05:38 PM 02-03-2012
I charge a one time fee of $50 per child. It covers the cost of the initial paperwork, my time prepping for the interview and a new crib sized sheet, blanket and pillow for the child's cot. I buy them cheap from Ikea so it costs me under $10 per child. I like each newly enrolled child to have a fresh set of bedding. Any money leftover covers art supplies.
Daycare Diva 01:08 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I charge a one time small registration fee. That covers my time interviewing the family, giving them a packet with a Parent Handbook. If they enroll, I mail them an enrollment packet.

I can't see why someone would charge that fee every year.
I have to update all paperwork annually,so my families are registered and re- registered each year. It is mandatory that I have them fill out new paperwork and give them an updated handbook each year.
ECHOLSKIDZ 09:18 AM 08-10-2012
I have been in childcare for many years and have noticed that parents don't think of the centers as a school. It is a place where your child is learning everyday. Just as in elementary, middle and high school parents have to enroll their children, have a registration fee and buy supplies.
Some centers registration fees the amount of their weekly tuition. Let's face it, children don't return because parents don't pay and you are left with the bill. Many times registration fees are the provider's security.
texascare 02:01 PM 08-10-2012
I have never chrged a yearly supply fee but I am now! I spend so much extra on stuf for the kids it's unreal!
JuJubug 08:28 PM 08-17-2012
We chrg registration every year. We chrg $100.00 that is to be paid with the application for each child. I use it for construction paper, copy paper, office supplies, cleaning supplies, paint, anything that we need for start up. Even half way through the school there is a need for something and that is were the reg comes in. Everything is so expensive.
DCMama 09:28 PM 08-22-2012
I think different people use it for different thing, so you should definitely ask your provider. For me and I think for most people, we use it for supply. I tell parents in advance that this fee is going straight back to their child services and education. I don't gain a cent from it.
Unregistered 10:17 AM 09-19-2014
I see a lot of you have said you charge a yearly fee, then go buy toys, office supplies (ink, paper), art supplies, paper goods (TP, PT, Etc). Do you not deduct them on your taxes as expenses for the daycare business? I have never charged a parent any kind of an activity fee that would cover something like that because as a Business, I am expected to supply those on my own, out of my pay, and in turn take it as a deduction.

IF i charged an activity fee, I would keep that money to cover entry costs into venues I might take the kids to, a paid art activity fee if we went somewhere that charged for something like that, etc. I cant see taking extra money from parents for things we can deduct off our taxes as expenses for our business.
ACH247 09:37 AM 09-22-2014
I'm not an accountant but I think you add the fee to income and still deduct the expenses.
Unregistered 02:56 PM 08-12-2018
in ocala, fl, a daycare charges a 250 application fee, yearly, even to kids that have been continually enrolled for the prior year....say it helps keep undesireables out....how is this legal?
storybookending 08:11 PM 08-12-2018
in ocala, fl, a daycare charges a 250 application fee, yearly, even to kids that have been continually enrolled for the prior year....say it helps keep undesireables out....how is this legal?
Because it is your choice to pay it or not. No one is forcing you. You could refuse and just lose your spot. That being said I still think that this is ridiculous and taking advantage in a big way.
MarinaVanessa 09:47 PM 08-12-2018
Sounds like they may be trying to be like an "elite" daycare where the more wealthy families tend to sign up. Typically these type of preschools/daycares are in large metropolitan areas like LA, NYC etc.
CityGarden 09:26 AM 08-13-2018
In my program there is an enrollment fee due your first year (which shows me your commitment to enroll and covers materials) and then a materials fee in subsequent years (that is equal to the enrollment fee)..... both fees directly help cover the cost of art materials and supplies since I run an art heavy program with high quality art materials.

It could easily be there the name of what the fee is for is being poorly communicated. I would ask what specifically the fee "funds"..... but it's not uncommon in major cities for high end programs to have additional fees.
Snowmom 09:47 AM 08-13-2018
They should be able to define what the fee covers. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask.

I charge a fee every year to families. It's a supply fee. I buy outdoor clothing/gear and replenish some preschool supplies.
Tags:2011, accountant, registration, registration fee
Reply Up