Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worker Napping
Unregistered 11:55 AM 08-23-2018
Hi is it common for a home daycare provider to be taking naps when the kids do? I suspect my kid’s provider does this. I’m not even sure that I mind but just wondering if it’s normal. Thank you.
Silly Songs 12:00 PM 08-23-2018
No. The provider still needs to be alert to any problems or issues which may occur. They are still working and should be awake. I would mind,very much, if someone caring for my child was asleep during the day. Children can choke, cry, etc. Someone needs to be able to hear them. It’s most likely against licensing standards.
Cat Herder 12:04 PM 08-23-2018
It varies by state.

Here's an old thread on this topic that you may find interesting. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40903
storybookending 12:32 PM 08-23-2018
I don’t but I know when my cousin was pregnant she did. I suspect an interesting discussion will follow.
DaveA 12:45 PM 08-23-2018
I think it’s against the rules here in IL, but I imagine it varies state by state. I come from a center background where falling asleep on the job very likely get you fired. Personally I wouldn’t do it.
Cat Herder 12:51 PM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I don’t but I know when my cousin was pregnant she did. I suspect an interesting discussion will follow.
Probably not. A lot has changed since 2012 with QRIS and more regulation in almost every state.

I am unaware of any state that allows licensed providers to nap, now (that does not mean there isn't one). Even overnight care is regulated for a provider to be up.

I am not sure how it applies to those few states who still allow providers to be legally unlicensed, though.
Leigh 12:51 PM 08-23-2018
I know of a pair of sisters who have a childcare, and they lie down and nap with the kids every day. They're unlicensed/unregistered. It's legal.

If you are registered or licensed in my state, you must be awake during day hours when you have kids. You may sleep at night when kids are sleeping, as long as you have a monitor or are in the same room as kids.
BrynleeJean 01:01 PM 08-23-2018
i don't know of a specific rule against sleeping while the kids are sleeping during the day here in my state. I know you have to be in proximity to them so you can hear them to monitor them. They have rules about sleeping during over night care but nothing really against it though i don't think my licensor would be happy to see me napping
If the question is bugging you you can always call your local licensing office or look up the minimum standards for childcare homes in your state. Super simple, i have it in Ibook form on my iPad.
Cat Herder 01:04 PM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
You may sleep at night when kids are sleeping, as long as you have a monitor or are in the same room as kids.
That is how it was here, once. Same room, hook lock up high on door, then carry on.

Now it is straight cut: "At least one Adult shall supervise Children at all times"
BrynleeJean 01:16 PM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That is how it was here, once. Same room, hook lock up high on door, then carry on.

Now it is straight cut: "At least one Adult shall supervise Children at all times"
Woah kinda strict. I bet that closed a lot of night care homes
sharlan 01:21 PM 08-23-2018
Very tempting some days, but I wouldn't risk it.

If you have concerns, you need to speak with your provider.
Jupadia 01:23 PM 08-23-2018
I confess to falling asleep a couple times, while sitting up in my chair though it was when I was pregnant with my last. Mostly I ended up half dozing a couple times. But I've never layin down to sleep and never would cause I'm being paid to take care of the kids during normal daytime hours.
I know a staff member who was fired from a center for falling asleep (Alberta canada) while I worked there.
storybookending 01:52 PM 08-23-2018
The center I worked at also had an off base 4K program. The assistant there was known for sleeping on the job and she never did get fired My boss almost talked about it in a joking manner at times. Then again she never was professional about anything so I’m not sure why I was shocked to learn this.
Cat Herder 02:14 PM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
Woah kinda strict. I bet that closed a lot of night care homes
Not really.

They just work 2nd or 3rd shift and sleep like other 2nd or 3rd shift workers. We have several plants here that support that business model.

I used to work 24/48 shifts and opened my daycare under that model for a few years. I was already used to being up for 24 at the time. No way I'd do it now, I like my nights and weekends too much.
Ariana 02:23 PM 08-23-2018
I do think it is normal. I think a lot of providers see nothing wrong with it. I personally think it is very unprofessional and not a safe idea. Anything can happen while you are unconscious. I don’t quite know how you CAN fall asleep! I would be too worried. I do watch Netflix or read but never sleep unless I have a headache and my husband is home to supervise.
hwichlaz 04:20 PM 08-23-2018
It's still legal in California to nap when the kids nap. but with safe sleep regs about to change I suspect at best it'll only be true if you don't have babies in care.

If I'm sick, I gate myself into the play room, pull out a nap mat, and doze along with them. I don't fully fall asleep, but I rest my eyes for sure. They can't get out without waking me up...and I don't have a single kid that wouldn't come poke me in the eye or something if they woke up before I did. Generally...I up before them...because I start hearing them make noise shifting around on their mats. I certainly did it when I was pregnant.
MarinaVanessa 08:10 PM 08-23-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
It's still legal in California to nap when the kids nap. but with safe sleep regs about to change I suspect at best it'll only be true if you don't have babies in care.
yep it's not against regulations now but according to a safe sleep draft I got from one of the CA child care advocates it will be come November (the anticipated date they are trying to roll out the new safe sleep regulations). It won't be legal to sleep at all during the day when kids are napping if you have kids at any age in care. If you have overnight kids you can only sleep if the kids are already asleep and you're going to bed for the night.
Puddleduck 05:44 AM 08-24-2018
I try not to close even when I'm quite ill and I'm a very light sleeper so I will nap on those days so I'm better able to care for the children when they're awake. The other option would be to close and my daycare parents would need to find alternative care. This seems to be an ok compromise. But I'm also aware it's not very professional and I've made sure all my daycare parents are fine with it.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 08-24-2018
Nope.

The legalities are irrelevant in my eyes.

I would never even think of sleeping while responsible for someone else's children.

It's unprofessional, dangerous and downright lazy in my opinion.
LysesKids 06:27 AM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nope.

I would never even think of sleeping while responsible for someone else's children.

Yes, if I'm sick, I will close before sleeping on the job and my parents know I have a few built in sick days... as I get older I know my limits - its why I refuse to do late night or overnights now. After my health scare in FEB, not chancing anything
hwichlaz 06:57 AM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
yep it's not against regulations now but according to a safe sleep draft I got from one of the CA child care advocates it will be come November (the anticipated date they are trying to roll out the new safe sleep regulations). It won't be legal to sleep at all during the day when kids are napping if you have kids at any age in care. If you have overnight kids you can only sleep if the kids are already asleep and you're going to bed for the night.
As written...they seem Ridiculous. What does sanitizing infant bedding daily accomplish? And if they want me to do a health check every 15 minutes that involves touching a sleeping baby....that’s just mean. Also waking them up by rolling them over .... :P. At least you only have to do that part until parents sign a form.
LysesKids 07:30 AM 08-24-2018
As written...they seem Ridiculous. What does sanitizing infant bedding daily accomplish? And if they want me to do a health check every 15 minutes that involves touching a sleeping baby....that’s just mean. Also waking them up by rolling them over .... :P. At least you only have to do that part until parents sign a form.
Here in TN, touching a sleeping infant has been regs for years lol... I know it sounds mean, but I still do it. When it comes to sanitizing, again I love my Benefect disinfectant ; it's very expensive, but it's literally spray & walk away, less toxic than vinegar & water.
skipper 10:03 AM 08-24-2018
I couldn't imagine napping while the kids do. I run a small unlicensed day care, my group rests/naps from 1-3 daily. I take that time to clean up, organize activities, update lesson plans, write, read, etc. I am puzzled as to why an adult would need to nap during the day and why they would feel it's safe practice?
kidsncats 12:02 PM 08-24-2018
Nope.

Lazy. LoL. We know how opinions are.

It's against the rules in my state. I was sick with vertigo, and called all the parents to come pick up their kids. One parent said, "Well, why don't you just have a nap, I'm sure you'll feel better!"
Blackcat31 12:49 PM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by kidsncats:
Lazy. LoL. We know how opinions are.
meaning....?

I'm not understanding where you are going with that...
other than I am assuming you don't share my opinion.

It's against the rules in my state.
Can you link to the statute # stating it's illegal in MN please?

I've never seen it and want to see how it's worded.

I've looked through both the rules and the statutes but must be missing it.
hwichlaz 12:50 PM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Here in TN, touching a sleeping infant has been regs for years lol... I know it sounds mean, but I still do it. When it comes to sanitizing, again I love my Benefect disinfectant ; it's very expensive, but it's literally spray & walk away, less toxic than vinegar & water.

You spray it on sheets? They want us to wash the bedding daily....even if not soiled. I currently wash it all at once every Friday.
CityGarden 01:09 PM 08-24-2018
While my preschool program is in my home, I am only open limited hours (currently 4-6.5 hours daily, reducing to 3-5 hours daily) .... I am relatively well paid for the amount of hours I work and IF I am wise with my time I do planning/prep/clean up/parent communications/etc. during nap time so I spend less hours after the children leave on that sort of stuff. I would rather get that stuff out the way and if needed nap after the children leave.

In full disclosure, one week I was sick and laid down and rested (not slept) with the kids during nap but honestly I worry about what could happen and there is just no way I could feel secure enough to nap.
CityGarden 01:12 PM 08-24-2018
You spray it on sheets? They want us to wash the bedding daily....even if not soiled. I currently wash it all at once every Friday.
hwichlaz where can I find these proposed changes? Is this part in bold for all ages or just infants?
Cat Herder 01:24 PM 08-24-2018
They want us to wash the bedding daily....even if not soiled. I currently wash it all at once every Friday.
That is why I use porta-crib mattresses for all and buy 12 sheets/fleece blankets at a time (6 kids).

Standardization makes it easier to clean and nothing from home limits disease transmission.

When they outgrow their crib, they use their mattress as a nap mat. New baby/new mattress.

After nap is over I change everything out for the next day then toss in the laundry. Easy/Peasy
hwichlaz 02:23 PM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
hwichlaz where can I find these proposed changes? Is this part in bold for all ages or just infants?
Just infants.

There is a link to the proposed changes in the most recent quarterly update on ccl’s website.
hwichlaz 02:24 PM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That is why I use porta-crib mattresses for all and buy 12 sheets/fleece blankets at a time (6 kids).

Standardization makes it easier to clean and nothing from home limits disease transmission.

When they outgrow their crib, they use their mattress as a nap mat. New baby/new mattress.

After nap is over I change everything out for the next day then toss in the laundry. Easy/Peasy
I use cots started at around 18 months. I’ll end up making sure I have 5 sheets per infant. I’m just not okay with non-evidence based changes like these.
Country Kids 03:06 PM 08-24-2018
In our state we can sleep when the children are here for the night but do have to be awake during arrival and departure.

I'm not sure what the difference would be to take a nap during the day or sleep a full night during the night. Either way I probably wouldn't sleep well.

We have several 24/7 childcare's in the area so I'm sure those providers could use a nap once in awhile.
LysesKids 03:10 PM 08-24-2018
I wash my sheets daily with blankets, but I spray it on the actual mattresses and PNP's - never had an issue
hwichlaz 03:13 PM 08-24-2018
I wash my sheets daily with blankets, but I spray it on the actual mattresses and PNP's - never had an issue
Adding 5 load of laundry a week isn’t an option in drought stricken California. I’d likely be fined.
LysesKids 04:09 PM 08-24-2018
Adding 5 load of laundry a week isn’t an option in drought stricken California. I’d likely be fined.
Here, the city I live charges a set fee for minimum 2000 gallons a month; since I live alone, I never use that much unless babes are here - Where I lived before I was very conservative so I get it; I came from a very eco/artsy town in AR. I still conserve, not just as much as normal because I'm charged regardless... in your position I would just spray sheets too. This stuff smells nice and is non toxic. My families love I use it over Bleach
hwichlaz 05:08 PM 08-24-2018
Here, the city I live charges a set fee for minimum 2000 gallons a month; since I live alone, I never use that much unless babes are here - Where I lived before I was very conservative so I get it; I came from a very eco/artsy town in AR. I still conserve, not just as much as normal because I'm charged regardless... in your position I would just spray sheets too. This stuff smells nice and is non toxic. My families love I use it over Bleach
I think I’m required to change them. But they are small so I’ll make sure to have enough to get through the week and wash all at once. I’m totally ordering that spray for the cribs though.
LysesKids 05:31 PM 08-24-2018
I think I’m required to change them. But they are small so I’ll make sure to have enough to get through the week and wash all at once. I’m totally ordering that spray for the cribs though.
It comes in a gallon jug & I put it in spray bottles... it's almost $50 on Amazon lol... when it first came out I had to get shipped from Canada it was so unheard of in 2010
MarinaVanessa 07:33 PM 08-24-2018
They're still working put the kinks. They're separating regulations for centers and FCC so if we have separate blankets for them them we only have to wash them weekly, dont have the touch regulation, and once you put the baby down pm their back of they roll themselves over you don't have to roll them back over.

hwichlaz 08:53 AM 08-25-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
They're still working put the kinks. They're separating regulations for centers and FCC so if we have separate blankets for them them we only have to wash them weekly, dont have the touch regulation, and once you put the baby down pm their back of they roll themselves over you don't have to roll them back over.
Those are specifically in the FCCH section proposals. I sure hope they get axed.
trytobearunner34 11:37 AM 08-25-2018
I have been a home provider for over a year. This includes a time when my own infant was only sleeping 2 hours clips at night. Never for an instant did it ever enter my mind that taking a nap when the kids were sleeping would be ok.
kidsncats 12:08 PM 08-27-2018

Can you link to the statute # stating it's illegal in MN please?

I've never seen it and want to see how it's worded.

I've looked through both the rules and the statutes but must be missing it.
Without being able to share the Provider's name with you, because this happened anywhere between March 2018 and July 2018, the Minnesota Department of Human Services issued a Negative Action Order against a provider for failing to provide Supervision while she was asleep. This NAO has been reported several times against providers in the DHS documentation.

This is not spelled out in the rules, but the State does take action on it.
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 08-27-2018
Without being able to share the Provider's name with you, because this happened anywhere between March 2018 and July 2018, the Minnesota Department of Human Services issued a Negative Action Order against a provider for failing to provide Supervision while she was asleep. This NAO has been reported several times against providers in the DHS documentation.

This is not spelled out in the rules, but the State does take action on it.
Yes, I too have read on the DHS "naughty list" several things providers have been cited for that their licensors deemed against the rules but I have also read where many of those same providers have appealed and won their cases due to the fact that licensors can not take upon themselves interpretation of the statues and rules so even though a provider has been cited for it, it is not technically against the rules or statues in MN. Yet.

I am sure it will need to be spelled out sooner or later as that seems to be the way our state is headed.

I had a licensor several years ago that cited a neighboring provider for not supervising her DCK's outside. They were all 5 yrs old. Licensor said supervision must be within sight AND sound. Provider appealed and won.

I've seen the opposite too (provider not winning appeal) where there is no written rule so I was just curious where you had gotten the info. I was hoping you knew where it was written in the statutes simply as a concrete yes/no as to whether it was a rule in MN.
MarinaVanessa 01:58 PM 08-27-2018
... many of those same providers have appealed and won their cases due to the fact that licensors can not take upon themselves interpretation of the statues and rules so even though a provider has been cited for it.
This true in many states.

As far as kidsncats comment goes the provider was probably highly likely to have been cited not for sleeping but for failing to "provide proper supervision" and not just sleeping itself. If a child got hurt or put him/herself into a compromising position while the provider was asleep and or she was asleep and another child was not then she most likely got written up for that as well ... many states consider this lack of supervision where they have regulations stating that children must be supervised which translates to a violation of a child's personal right to safety.
Unregistered 02:45 PM 08-27-2018
Okay thank you everyone. I don’t have any actual proof but I came early one day and the provider had marks on her face like she had just woken up. My baby is 9 months old. He sleeps next to her couch so I’m sure she was right there. I like her and maybe she just accidentally dozed off. I’m not confrontational so I didn’t say anything and neither did she.
Ariana 03:45 PM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Okay thank you everyone. I don’t have any actual proof but I came early one day and the provider had marks on her face like she had just woken up. My baby is 9 months old. He sleeps next to her couch so I’m sure she was right there. I like her and maybe she just accidentally dozed off. I’m not confrontational so I didn’t say anything and neither did she.
This has happened to me and I did not sleep! Sometimes the way I lie down to watch a show or have my face resting on a pillow or on my hand creates these marks. She may not have been napping so just keep that in mind
LysesKids 04:43 PM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This has happened to me and I did not sleep! Sometimes the way I lie down to watch a show or have my face resting on a pillow or on my hand creates these marks. She may not have been napping so just keep that in mind
I have a pillow on my couch that leaves marks... some of my babies actually take it & lay on it while playing; the moms have seen the marks lol ( there is beading and lace on it)
Tags:assistant - lazy, nap - for provider, qris, ratios, regulations - hours, supervision - active vs. passive, supervision - inadequate
Reply Up