Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sign In Times
BGM 03:47 PM 10-10-2018
So, I have this parent that signs in and out using military time. I don't know why, but it's really annoying because allllll of the other parents use regular time, so when I'm logging hours for my taxes or going through the attendance sheets, his time always throws me off because it's completely different than the others.

Do you think it would be too much to ask him to just use normal time when he signs his kid in so my time sheets are uniform or is that too anal?

I mean, I have a clock that shows the time and he still converts it to military time. C'mon man....
ColorfulSunburst 06:45 PM 10-10-2018
Originally Posted by BGM:

I mean, I have a clock that shows the time and he still converts it to military time. C'mon man....
maybe he originally is from some other country. For example, in Russia, all people use "military time" but no one calls it as military time.
storybookending 07:58 PM 10-10-2018
The local clinic/hospital uses military time and all of those parents sign in/out using it.
DaveA 03:41 AM 10-11-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
The local clinic/hospital uses military time and all of those parents sign in/out using it.
That's what I was thinking. DW went from the Navy to healthcare field. Any time written down is military time. It's just habit to her.

ETA: I would let this one go. If he's anything like DW it's a pattern that won't change.
Gemma 04:26 AM 10-11-2018
I'm originally from Italy, and they use military time there. I remember for a while it wasn't easy for me to remember to use am/pm, so I'm guessing if he's in the habit of using military time at work, it could just be a hard habit to break.
Cat Herder 05:30 AM 10-11-2018
I just write the time and date in myself before handing them the clipboard for signatures. Much less room for them to wiggle in as well. Things like them writing in 530 at 539 to avoid the $9 charge and all.
Mad_Pistachio 06:04 AM 10-11-2018
I grew up with 24 hours instead of 12 am/pm. it comes automatically, and I set my phone, tablet, and watch to it. yeah, I did catch strange looks when my watch showed 16:15 at 4:15pm and whenever I put my time in the timesheet at work, I have to do it in military time because 0500 will be translated by the system as 5am (whereas 5pm is 1700). learned it the hard way after being asked by a supervisor what I was doing at the library at 5 in the morning

I never tried to put military time on any DC timesheets. mental conversion comes automatically. maybe the DCD has mostly 24-hr around him, including his phone/watch, and just writes what he sees.
LittleExplorers 06:34 AM 10-11-2018
I would let it go and just write it next to it daily in the form you want. My husband was in the military for 13 years and no matter how hard he might try to remember if asked, he just wouldn't due to that. In the grand scheme of things, it seems to be a small inconvenience.
284878 06:53 AM 10-11-2018
I personally can handle military time, my dad would use military time all the time and I just got use to it. What I am not personally use to is military dates. Example today would be 11-10-2018. Day month year.
I had a dcm that dated everything this way just for fun. She had no military background, she just liked to make herself look smarter. Hmm wonder if that was reason she was fired.
boy_mom 06:58 AM 10-11-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
That's what I was thinking. DW went from the Navy to healthcare field. Any time written down is military time. It's just habit to her.

ETA: I would let this one go. If he's anything like DW it's a pattern that won't change.
This! My husband is a navy vet and now a paramedic.... it's just his habit! If dcd is good in all other areas, I would just let it go!
Cat Herder 07:15 AM 10-11-2018
Anyone prior military, who made it more than a few weeks, knows how to follow simple directions. I don't buy it can't be done.

Yes, DCD, we get you served; "Thanks for your service". Now let's get with the program at home, please.

My DH is also former military and we both are medics. Silly to think we can't adapt to change, IMHO.
boy_mom 07:19 AM 10-11-2018
I dont think it's that he cant follow rules, I'm sure dcd would adapt it she asked! But if she hasn't mentioned it, he is probably just in the habit of writing it that way....
Mad_Pistachio 08:23 AM 10-11-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
I personally can handle military time, my dad would use military time all the time and I just got use to it. What I am not personally use to is military dates. Example today would be 11-10-2018. Day month year.
I had a dcm that dated everything this way just for fun. She had no military background, she just liked to make herself look smarter. Hmm wonder if that was reason she was fired.
I got married November 10, 2012. military date makes it much easier to remember: 10-11-12
hwichlaz 09:56 AM 10-11-2018
Feels nitpicky to me. But if it makes it easier just write it the way you are comfortable with right next to the child's name when he leaves.
daycarediva 10:08 AM 10-11-2018
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I got married November 10, 2012. military date makes it much easier to remember: 10-11-12
NEAT!!!

It would honestly annoy the heck out of me, too. To be 100% honest, it would depend how much I liked the family. Good family, probably wouldn't say anything. Late pick ups/early drop offs, late payments or something that made the log necessary to keep additional track of? I'd probably ask.
Meeko 10:24 AM 10-11-2018
I am sure that the OP can translate just fine. It's just one more step she shouldn't have to do. Her paperwork isn't that way.

I would ask dcd to write it like everyone else.
Blackcat31 10:37 AM 10-11-2018
So, I have this parent that signs in and out using military time. I don't know why, but it's really annoying because allllll of the other parents use regular time, so when I'm logging hours for my taxes or going through the attendance sheets, his time always throws me off because it's completely different than the others.

Do you think it would be too much to ask him to just use normal time when he signs his kid in so my time sheets are uniform or is that too anal?

Can I ask you why?
Does your state require you to turn in your sign in/out sheets?
Is it just that an entry using military time just looks different on the sign in/out sheet?

Depending on your reasoning, my answer will differ.
BGM 11:14 AM 10-11-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can I ask you why?
Does your state require you to turn in your sign in/out sheets?
Is it just that an entry using military time just looks different on the sign in/out sheet?

Depending on your reasoning, my answer will differ.
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I am sure that the OP can translate just fine. It's just one more step she shouldn't have to do. Her paperwork isn't that way.

I would ask dcd to write it like everyone else.
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
NEAT!!!

It would honestly annoy the heck out of me, too. To be 100% honest, it would depend how much I liked the family. Good family, probably wouldn't say anything. Late pick ups/early drop offs, late payments or something that made the log necessary to keep additional track of? I'd probably ask.
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Anyone prior military, who made it more than a few weeks, knows how to follow simple directions. I don't buy it can't be done.

Yes, DCD, we get you served; "Thanks for your service". Now let's get with the program at home, please.

My DH is also former military and we both are medics. Silly to think we can't adapt to change, IMHO.
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
I dont think it's that he cant follow rules, I'm sure dcd would adapt it she asked! But if she hasn't mentioned it, he is probably just in the habit of writing it that way....
Originally Posted by 284878:
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I grew up with 24 hours instead of 12 am/pm. it comes automatically, and I set my phone, tablet, and watch to it. yeah, I did catch strange looks when my watch showed 16:15 at 4:15pm and whenever I put my time in the timesheet at work, I have to do it in military time because 0500 will be translated by the system as 5am (whereas 5pm is 1700). learned it the hard way after being asked by a supervisor what I was doing at the library at 5 in the morning

I never tried to put military time on any DC timesheets. mental conversion comes automatically. maybe the DCD has mostly 24-hr around him, including his phone/watch, and just writes what he sees.
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I'm originally from Italy, and they use military time there. I remember for a while it wasn't easy for me to remember to use am/pm, so I'm guessing if he's in the habit of using military time at work, it could just be a hard habit to break.
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
maybe he originally is from some other country. For example, in Russia, all people use "military time" but no one calls it as military time.
I don't think he was in the military and he's from Wisconsin
I think he does it because he's into computers and is one of those "I'm super smart" types. He's alluded to his higher intelligence before
I do set my computer up so that the time is displayed right in front of the time sheet. So he sees the time, translates it and then writes it down

I can interpret it, it's just another step that I don't want to do as Meeko said.

Why I don't like it is because when I'm double checking attendance vs food program records or tallying my hours worked vs children in attendance for my taxes (which I try to do throughout the year instead of in April like I did last year), I'll be on a roll and then I'll see military time peppered throughout and it stalls my otherwise smooth translation from the sheet to whatever I'm doing.
hwichlaz 09:39 AM 10-13-2018
I don't think he was in the military and he's from Wisconsin
I think he does it because he's into computers and is one of those "I'm super smart" types. He's alluded to his higher intelligence before
I do set my computer up so that the time is displayed right in front of the time sheet. So he sees the time, translates it and then writes it down

I can interpret it, it's just another step that I don't want to do as Meeko said.

Why I don't like it is because when I'm double checking attendance vs food program records or tallying my hours worked vs children in attendance for my taxes (which I try to do throughout the year instead of in April like I did last year), I'll be on a roll and then I'll see military time peppered throughout and it stalls my otherwise smooth translation from the sheet to whatever I'm doing.
Do you use kidkare? I use military time in kidkare because it's easier than remembering to hit a P before I hit enter
Cat Herder 07:52 AM 10-16-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Do you use kidkare? I use military time in kidkare because it's easier than remembering to hit a P before I hit enter
Brilliant.

I am so sick of that P I can't even tell you. If they are logging out the assumption should be that it is P, not A, again. Grrr...
CityGarden 01:00 PM 10-16-2018
I like to pick my battles, so I would let this go. Likely right after drop off and pick up I would just write the time in myself.
Tags:arrival times, attendance, sign in sheet, tacticool
Reply Up