Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dog Poop
jenboo 08:58 AM 01-04-2019
Is it possible to train dogs to poop in one area of their yard when they have already been pooping all over?

We have a mostly fenced side yard where I would like the dogs to poop. Right they they poop in the main section of the yard. Its really annoying because I would like the main yard clean and poop free for the kids... but how do I teach the dogs to poop on the side yard??? There has to be a way!
Cat Herder 09:14 AM 01-04-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Is it possible to train dogs to poop in one area of their yard when they have already been pooping all over?
I walk them over to where I want them to go on their leash.
jenboo 09:31 AM 01-04-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Every single time? Or just in the beginning? Our dogs love being outside so anytime we aren't out there, they are.
Cat Herder 09:45 AM 01-04-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Every single time? Or just in the beginning? Our dogs love being outside so anytime we aren't out there, they are.
Yes, every single time. It is not awesome, but solved the problem. I take them twice per day, before opening and right after closing and DH takes them before bed at night.

Nothing else worked. Especially for the golden , the princess would go on the front porch so her feet would not get dirty if she could.
Leigh 09:48 AM 01-04-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This. And, yes. Every time until they start doing it on their own. Plan on it taking weeks, not days. When you walk them there, give your potty command, then praise them for doing their business where you want them to. I'd take away off leash time in the yard until they are eliminating where you want them to. Take them to a friend's house or a park for off leash exercise and play.
Cat Herder 09:54 AM 01-04-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Plan on it taking weeks, not days.
And remember "We plan, God laughs". My golden whom I got as a puppy is 15, now, so....
jenboo 10:32 AM 01-04-2019
This. And, yes. Every time until they start doing it on their own. Plan on it taking weeks, not days. When you walk them there, give your potty command, then praise them for doing their business where you want them to. I'd take away off leash time in the yard until they are eliminating where you want them to. Take them to a friend's house or a park for off leash exercise and play.
oh boy. We can't take them any where off leash. Our younger one doesn't listen in public and our dog parks aren't fenced in.
I can't imagine how destructive she would get being trapped inside or in her crate for weeks.
ColorfulSunburst 10:45 AM 01-04-2019
we just have divided our yard by a fence with a gate. So, our three dogs have no access to the DC's part of the yard.
Cat Herder 10:46 AM 01-04-2019
You could try a zipline dog run in the preferred area.

We did that for a bit when the dogs were younger. It was an eyesore and I ended up having to bathe them daily, but it solved the poop problem for a bit. It created huge ruts in the land and mudholes that were super fun to repair as well.

When we went outside we immediately hooked the dogs on. They stayed on their line for the first 15 minutes or so to do their business then we could let them run and play with the (our own) kids outside without too many accidents.
daycarediva 11:20 AM 01-04-2019
Yup. It's completely retraining them. Bring treats!

We had to do the same when we moved and dh picked the weirdest spot for it and I hate it, and now we have two spots because the baby doesn't like going where the big dogs go so she has her own space.
Second Home 11:45 AM 01-04-2019
Also , dogs look for their or another dogs scent . So don't clean up all the poop in their new area every time they go.
jenboo 11:59 AM 01-04-2019
Thanks everyone! We have created a middle shift dog run for them which is where I want them to poop and they go when the kids are outside. I really want them to learn to only potty in that area. I don't want to forever keep them locked on the side yard because we a big yard for them to get their energy out in. They use the big yard to run and play in more than the kids.

I'll start working on it and use treats and see how it goes
Tags:dog poop
Reply Up