Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Other Ways to Accept Payment?
Lil_Diddle 10:24 AM 01-10-2019
I’ve always been old-fashioned and accepted checks and cash. However, I’m finding a need to accept cards. I currently have a parent that doesn’t have the money in her account right now and wants to use a cc. I suggested PayPal, which I’ve never used for payments. She mentioned venmo. I would love to hear suggestions on what you use, and I want something that gives me instant access to transfer to my bank account and something that does not charge me fees
Msdunny 10:27 AM 01-10-2019
Venmo charges a small fee, but may be worth it if it helps. It isn't much. I also accept ApplyPay payments, and my parents that use it love it. Applepay also doesn't charge a fee.
Flowerchild 10:39 AM 01-10-2019
We do an app that's called cash pay or something like that
Leigh 10:40 AM 01-10-2019
I have accepted Venmo. I only paid a fee if I chose an instant transfer. If I did a regular transfer, my money would show up the next day, rather than same day. Either way, the fee was nominal, and I got paid. I prefer Venmo over cash or check, personally, because it is another way to keep a record, and I can transfer with one click, rather than praying that my mobile deposit photos are good enough. Last time I did mobile deposit, it was rejected because they said the parent didn't write my name legibly (you could tell that it was my name).
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 01-10-2019
I use Zelle

It’s instant and has no fees

I’ve had zero issues using it
jenboo 11:31 AM 01-10-2019
I love venmo. No fees if you link your bank account vs debit card.

I tried zelle once but couldn't figure it out
sharlan 11:58 AM 01-10-2019
I use Zelle.
storybookending 12:17 PM 01-10-2019
I switched all families to Venmo (one family doesn’t have smart phones) this past Fall and it has been great. All of my parents love it. There is no fee if you do the standard transfer.
Lil_Diddle 12:18 PM 01-10-2019
Thank you for the input. So far I’m seeing a few drawbacks to Venmo and PayPal. I’ll check into Zelle
CityGarden 03:42 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
Thank you for the input. So far I’m seeing a few drawbacks to Venmo and PayPal. I’ll check into Zelle
I have switched all my families except one to Zelle and I love it because I get the funds instantly and I don't need to be concerned with holidays or weekend payments.

Downsides to Zelle some credit unions / smaller banks do not participate (my understanding is this is not an issue with Venmo) and I do not believe you can charge credit cards ---- just debit card or bank transfers.

I was in a financial position years ago when I needed to pay my dd's tutor via credit card and asked in Paypal was okay - she said yes as long as I took on all fees. I felt it was gracious of her and she did not feel obligated to change for all families..... just sharing so you can take from it whatever is helpful.
Scout 03:47 PM 01-10-2019
Zelle is great. Funds immediately available. My families just use my phone number to send it.
Meeko 08:55 AM 01-11-2019
Love, love, love Venmo. One dad paid me while sitting on the beach in Bali while gone for a month.....no fees, I get instant notification that a parents has paid and I have always got my money the next day.
Lil_Diddle 10:44 AM 01-11-2019
Curious, those that use Venmo, do you have it set up as a business account or just a personal account accepting money “between friends”
storybookending 10:47 AM 01-11-2019
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
Curious, those that use Venmo, do you have it set up as a business account or just a personal account accepting money “between friends”
I just have it as a personal account
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 01-11-2019
A friend used Venmo to have her parents pay her.

One of them got upset about something and flagged her Venmo account and Venmo reviewed her account.
Recognized she was accepting money for services and closed her account.

She said she was out some money (I don't know the details) and Venmo said she couldn't get refunded as she signed the user agreement when signing up stating she was not collecting funds for the sale of goods or services.

I went online to read reviews of Venmo after hearing that and read enough negative reviews to scare me off.

I signed on with Zelle instead.

I do not know of anyone else that has had issues with Venmo but I didn't want to risk it either way.
storybookending 12:12 PM 01-11-2019
I have read about similar cases to what BC has mentioned with accepting Venmo payments. I have a hairdresser that accepts Venmo. I’m honestly shocked the company itself (Venmo) cares about things such as this. Wouldn’t the more people using your services(app) be better? I know it was originally created for rent splitting and things of that nature but jeeze let your business evolve or let your competition apps such as Zelle take over and take all of your profit. Makes no sense to me.
Lil_Diddle 11:59 PM 01-12-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A friend used Venmo to have her parents pay her.

One of them got upset about something and flagged her Venmo account and Venmo reviewed her account.
Recognized she was accepting money for services and closed her account.

She said she was out some money (I don't know the details) and Venmo said she couldn't get refunded as she signed the user agreement when signing up stating she was not collecting funds for the sale of goods or services.

I went online to read reviews of Venmo after hearing that and read enough negative reviews to scare me off.

I signed on with Zelle instead.

I do not know of anyone else that has had issues with Venmo but I didn't want to risk it either way.

Thank you, good to know. I had the parent use PayPal for now because I already had an account. It actually went pretty smooth and quickly.
LostMyMarbles 10:56 AM 01-16-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use Zelle

It’s instant and has no fees

I’ve had zero issues using it
I switched to Zelle in June. love it. Parents do to. And it is free.
Tags:brightwheel, kidkare - invoices, online payment, paypal, square card reader, venmo, zelle
Reply Up