Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I Supposed to Close During State of Emergency?
BumbleBee 09:24 AM 01-29-2019
I honestly don't know. We are under a State of Emergency I think tomorrow, maybe today? The news stories are a bit confusing. I do have some parents who are in emergency related fields who will most likely have to work. I can stay open, just wasn't sure what the requirements are.

Any other Michigan providers closing tomorrow? Staying open? Anybody know what we're supposed to do?
amberrose3dg 09:30 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
I honestly don't know. We are under a State of Emergency I think tomorrow, maybe today? The news stories are a bit confusing. I do have some parents who are in emergency related fields who will most likely have to work. I can stay open, just wasn't sure what the requirements are.

Any other Michigan providers closing tomorrow? Staying open? Anybody know what we're supposed to do?
Are you ok with being stuck with your daycare kids? I close whenever the weather poses a safety risk. I also do not want to have overnight guests. if you are ok with that then I guess you can stay open.
Indoorvoice 10:11 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:

I'm in Michigan and I'm really really struggling with what to do! I have 2 kids tomorrow. One mom is a nurse and has to go, but dad is a mechanic. The other set is a store manager and dad works in an office. I'm pretty sure both families could swing it if I closed but I don't know what the right thing to do is. Almost all the centers are closed tomorrow in my town. The thing I'm worried about is it being extremely unsafe if I lost power or had to evacuate for any reason. All of my home daycare friends are staying open but I don't know if it's worth it for me with only 2 kids coming,both infants. The state of emergency as I understand doesn't really affect us unless she orders businesses closed. The state of emergency just sets in motion all their emergency services.
storybookending 10:33 AM 01-29-2019
Not in MI but in WI. I made the decision to close tomorrow. Frost bite can set in in under 4 minutes at the temps predicted at AM drop off tomorrow. My house is older and I’m already concerned about the furnace keeping up tomorrow. I have it set 4 degrees higher than normal and it’s still only holding steady at 1 degree above normal today. It’s going to be up to 30 degrees colder than it is right now tomorrow. Not worth it to me. I am for sure inconviencing one family. Another would (probably) send their child if I were open. Not worth it to me at all.
BumbleBee 10:47 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
The state of emergency as I understand doesn't really affect us unless she orders businesses closed. The state of emergency just sets in motion all their emergency services.
Good to know! I wasn't sure if we were required to close. Guess not. I'm discussing it with my emergency services clients.
Michael 11:15 AM 01-29-2019
Here is another thread regarding closing during a state of emergency: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26224

This is what the Michigan governors office stated:

“A state of emergency doesn't automatically order people to stay off the roads, remain indoors or change their everyday schedule in any way. Businesses are allowed to operate as normal.”

So it appears to be discretionary.

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/W...505028751.html
BumbleBee 12:16 PM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by Michael:
Here is another thread regarding closing during a state of emergency: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26224

This is what the Michigan governors office stated:

“A state of emergency doesn't automatically order people to stay off the roads, remain indoors or change their everyday schedule in any way. Businesses are allowed to operate as normal.”

So it appears to be discretionary.

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/W...505028751.html
Thank you. I hadn't seen that yet.
BumbleBee 02:34 PM 01-29-2019
Well I talked to the parents who are working tomorrow, checked the most recent weather report, and have decided to stay open.

Will probably have 8 kids, all whose parents are scheduled to work tomorrow. Temp predicted at -10 with potential wind chills down to -35. Not nearly as cold as originally predicted.
BumbleBee 05:18 AM 01-30-2019
Well only 2 kids. Which is fine. Mom and dad work for the same company and that company is open today.
Second Home 07:16 AM 01-30-2019
I have it in my handbook that I may close in a state if emergency , it's my choice . I once had a parent wanting to bring their child when we were expecting a hurricane .
lovemykidstoo 08:24 AM 01-30-2019
I'm in Michigan and remained open. I have had a couple kids stay home with parents that were off work. I also had a dcg here on Monday 9 hours after parents were both off for the day and I have an infant any time soon (8 months) coming soon that I doubt mom is working today. I had 1 switch a day. If i were to lose power, I would just call for pickup. It would take quite some time for the house temperature to get to a temperature that would be a risk of any problems to the kids.
flying_babyb 07:05 PM 01-31-2019
Illinois here. We closed wens and thurs. Open tommrow. Glad we closed. It was so cold my pipes froze
Jo123ABC 01:01 PM 02-05-2019
I follow my school's closings for weather. They closed Tuesday last week so I did too as did a few other daycares including a center that also follows school closings. I decided to follow them to take the pressure off of me to make a decision regarding weather it helped! Two of my families have a teacher parent too so it works for them anyway.
sahm1225 04:04 PM 02-05-2019
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Illinois here. We closed wens and thurs. Open tommrow. Glad we closed. It was so cold my pipes froze
Ohnno! My moms pipe burst. My dishwasher froze and the motor burnt out when I didn’t realize it and turned it on.
CityGarden 04:29 PM 02-05-2019
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
I follow my school's closings for weather. They closed Tuesday last week so I did too as did a few other daycares including a center that also follows school closings. I decided to follow them to take the pressure off of me to make a decision regarding weather it helped! Two of my families have a teacher parent too so it works for them anyway.
I do the same and state so in the contract! I love not having the pressure on me.
Tags:closed from bad weather, cold weather, parent handbook, state of emergency
Reply Up