Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts on Pets?
CountryRoads 03:50 PM 03-15-2019
Do you let your pets around the kids?

All my dck love our animals. Our dogs tolerate the kids good, they stay outside most of the day.

Our cat rarely comes out, and when she does she lets the kids touch her. Dcm has been making remarks this week saying "dcb says the kitty bit him", "he keeps saying 'kitty bite me'". She said today "he still talks about it." Just random remarks.

I don't really know what to say when she brings it up. I told her dcb is not afraid of her, but I would try to make sure she stays away from the daycare area when she comes out. Dcm said if he wants to pet her, than that's fine. But she STILL makes comments.

I didn't see our cat bite him, but she probably did. No marks were made, but dcb is not nice to her, so I understand why she bit him
hwichlaz 04:14 PM 03-15-2019
my cats avoid the kids, the dogs love them...but the playroom is gated off so the kids really only interact through the gate or at pick up and drop off times.
Ariana 04:21 PM 03-15-2019
I let my 12 year old dog and my 9 month old kitty in the daycare to interact with the kids. The dog is harmless but the kitty is still a kitten and I warn the kids before they touch him. I teach them the signs that mean “leave me alone” like pawing or twitching tail. He has only ever scratched one kid and it was an accident as she was taking a toy from him and he reached for it, claws out! Oherwise both animals are amazing around children.

In your situation I would tell her that you’re not sure why he is saying it as you habe not witnessed anything and thag maybe he is afraid the cat will bite him and he is fixated on it. One of my DCG had a scratch on her leg from the weekend and she said my daughter did it eventhough my daughter was nowhere near her and is in school all week! Kids make stuff up all the time.
e.j. 05:02 PM 03-15-2019
For the most part, our pets are kept away from the dc kids for liability reasons and for the safety of the animal. Also, as Ariana said, kids make things up. If a dc kid claims one of our pets caused an injury, I want to be able to truthfully say that the pets are not around the kids. Once in awhile, one of my dd's cats comes downstairs and the kids see him but aren't allowed to touch him - mostly for his own safety.
jenboo 08:53 PM 03-15-2019
My dogs do not have access to the daycare kids. It's not worth the liability.
Ac114 09:17 AM 03-16-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
My dogs do not have access to the daycare kids. It's not worth the liability.
Same here. Both for liability and so our dog is not tormented by the kids.
Pestle 11:14 AM 03-16-2019
Licensing doesn't allow my cats around the children. One of my cats is disabled and can't get over the gates; another loves adults but has zero interest in children so he doesn't come in; the third loves babies so I have to scoop her out once or twice a day.
Meeko 08:37 PM 03-16-2019
Every child and every parent gives Gus a hug/kisses at both drop off and pick up. So does the food program lady and my licensor. He expects it! He goes to the door (or hangs out on the back of the couch by the sign in table if he's being lazy). Either way, it's easy access for lovin'. Everyone comes through the door and says "Morning Gus!" which is always met with much tail wagging. Many will actually pick him up for a hug. I think he thinks they are ALL family.

He's been around everyone since he was a puppy. He will be 8 in June. He usually dozes on the back of the couch in the playroom during the day.

The kids are very good with him. They have all been taught to be gentle and to not bother him. He gets involved if he wants to. He will sometimes insist on inspecting all lego creations etc. Then he naps when they do...complete with blankie.
Attached: Gus Gus (2).jpg (25.7 KB) zzz.jpg (21.8 KB) 
e.j. 10:39 AM 03-17-2019
OH my gosh... he's adorable! I think I'd have to pick him up and give him a hug every day, too!
Josiegirl 03:25 AM 03-18-2019
Meeko, lovin' it! Gus is adorable

I have 2 dogs and they're with the dcks a lot. There's a lot of love passed around both ways but when the kids or dogs are in a 'mood' I put them in my bedroom, they're safe and feel safer than being around the noise of dc. Some of my dcfs have dogs(golden retriever, english mastiff, mix of chocolate lab crazy just like one of mine) and are being taught to be gentle, caring and kind to our animal friends as well as each other. It's a learning process. Yes, it's definitely a liability. Everything is, in this business. But I have few little problems(knocking on wood). And at the moment, my bedroom door is covered with pictures the dcks made for my dog, Josie, when she was having a tough time of things.
As for the dcm's comments, just turn on your smile and ignore.
DaveA 03:49 AM 03-18-2019
My dogs are on the other side of the gate from the DCKs. When we go outside they come out with us sometimes. DCKs will go over to the gates and pet them, but that's about it.

Outside we have chickens and ducks. They stay in their pen when we're outside. But they have been known to occasionally "escape" so DCKs can interact with them.
Cat Herder 04:59 AM 03-18-2019
My dogs stay in the house and the kids stay in the playroom. Licensing regulates which breeds I can have along with how and when the DCK's can interact with them. Snakes, rats, ferrets and a couple other exotics are not allowed on the property, either (even if out of reach of kids). The general concept is no contact other than during a specific "pets" circle time lesson, only.
Snowmom 06:31 AM 03-18-2019
No, my pets don't have access to the kids.
I don't want the liability or to chance my pets getting hurt.

I envy those that trust both their dc kids and their pets. I just don't, so I'd rather be extra safe than sorry.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
No, my pets don't have access to the kids.
I don't want the liability or to chance my pets getting hurt.

I envy those that trust both their dc kids and their pets. I just don't, so I'd rather be extra safe than sorry.

That is how I'd feel as well but since I live in a different house than my daycare, it's not even an option for me.

My pets stay home when I go to work.
Mom2Two 11:41 AM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Every child and every parent gives Gus a hug/kisses at both drop off and pick up. So does the food program lady and my licensor. He expects it! He goes to the door (or hangs out on the back of the couch by the sign in table if he's being lazy). Either way, it's easy access for lovin'. Everyone comes through the door and says "Morning Gus!" which is always met with much tail wagging. Many will actually pick him up for a hug. I think he thinks they are ALL family.

He's been around everyone since he was a puppy. He will be 8 in June. He usually dozes on the back of the couch in the playroom during the day.

The kids are very good with him. They have all been taught to be gentle and to not bother him. He gets involved if he wants to. He will sometimes insist on inspecting all lego creations etc. Then he naps when they do...complete with blankie.
What a cute dog!!!!
Mom2Two 11:44 AM 03-18-2019
Our animals don't have serious problems with dck, but we still discourage the kids from messing with them.

Our cat is 100% indoors and is declawed and our doggie who just died was a Cavalier King Charles, a super gentle dog.

Our dog had a pet taxi indoors and she would go in there when she wanted a break. The dck were taught to not touch it. They did touch it sometimes, of course, but we just kept up that it was a "no no."
CityGarden 04:56 PM 03-18-2019
I did not let the dcks near my dog..... I did not want to risk the liability of any accidents.

I love my dog and feel she would not hurt them but she is also 4-5lbs. so the dcks could have hurt or scared her just by accident - not worth the risk.
MamaG2903 11:35 AM 03-20-2019
We have quite a few pets, including 3 small rescue dogs and a rescue house bunny. They have run of the house and I include the kids in their care - every morning they help me feed them breakfast etc. However, legally unlicensed so I just watch 2 toddlers so I have more control over the situation - with more kids I don't think I would take the risk! My toddlers absolutely adore the bunny though, and she is a sweetheart. I feel that teaching them to be gentle with abd take care of animals will make them more caring people ❤️
Tags:child safety, pets in daycare, safety of children
Reply Up