Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Took This from a Child on Arrival
Rockgirl 06:34 AM 03-28-2019
A two year old showed me that she had this after dcd left. I don’t want to reopen the “great grape debate” but I really can’t believe they just hand her these huge grapes to eat whole! I have to wonder if she was eating them in her car seat on the way to daycare.

I do plan to address the issue of bringing food in. I’m also thinking of printing a list of common choking hazards and sending them home with all the families.
Attached: 00735C80-0D31-4E82-9C4E-399D1C42A8FA.jpeg (2.05 MB) 
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
A two year old showed me that she had this after dcd left. I don’t want to reopen the “great grape debate” but I really can’t believe they just hand her these huge grapes to eat whole! I have to wonder if she was eating them in her car seat on the way to daycare.

I do plan to address the issue of bringing food in. I’m also thinking of printing a list of common choking hazards and sending them home with all the families.
I said something about cutting up grapes the other day to a DCP (has a just turned 2 yr old on Sunday) and she acted like I was suggesting she put her kid in a plastic bubble.

She'd never heard of having to cut grapes etc. and said they give them to DCK in the car all the time. They travel almost 20+ miles to daycare so DCK eats in car all the time.

The DCM is a nurse practitioner.
Rockgirl 06:57 AM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I said something about cutting up grapes the other day to a DCP (has a just turned 2 yr old on Sunday) and she acted like I was suggesting she put her kid in a plastic bubble.

She'd never heard of having to cut grapes etc. and said they give them to DCK in the car all the time. They travel almost 20+ miles to daycare so DCK eats in car all the time.

I even cut the small ones! For me personally, it’s just not worth the risk. Imagine if she had popped that into her mouth after walking through my door and choked on it. I’d be publicly hung out to dry.
sharlan 07:02 AM 03-28-2019
Another thing I never did until coming here.
Snowmom 07:04 AM 03-28-2019
That's huge. I've cut up chicken pieces smaller than that.
Cat Herder 07:08 AM 03-28-2019
Ironic.

Todays "don't judge me" debate on NEJM was a 10 year old whose parents thought making their kid wear shoes, while playing with the new piglets in the pen, during a vacation abroad was "living in a plastic bubble".

Gotta love the constant pendulum swings. At least they are not asking you to wear their child and never use the damaging *no* word, I suppose.
Attached: tungiasis (540 x 282).jpg (23.2 KB) 
Rockgirl 07:35 AM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Ironic.

Todays "don't judge me" debate on NEJM was a 10 year old whose parents thought making their kid wear shoes, while playing with the new piglets in the pen, during a vacation abroad was "living in a plastic bubble".

Gotta love the constant pendulum swings. At least they are not asking you to wear their child and never use the damaging *no* word, I suppose.
Oh. My. WORD.
Cat Herder 08:16 AM 03-28-2019
Oh. My. WORD.
Spoiler alert: those black dots? Those are flea larva.

Sticking to my low cal breakfast plan was super easy this morning.
littlefriends 08:19 AM 03-28-2019
YIKES! That’s gigantic! How scary.
Rockgirl 08:20 AM 03-28-2019

I’m going to take another look at it before my lunch.
Cat Herder 08:27 AM 03-28-2019

I am going to hope that your client thought that because it was so much bigger than typical grapes that it would help teach her to bite it in half as it might not fit any other way.

I have been given "the look" a time or two for handing 4-year-olds a whole refrigerated apple when we were outside to help cool off. I view it as using the summer to prepare them for school lunches. Ours has a daily choice of a whole orange (they must peel and seed) a whole apple (they need to know not to eat the core) or a whole banana (they must peel). So many of the kids struggle with them during kindergarten that I felt I could at least help my little group.
LostMyMarbles 08:33 AM 03-28-2019

When I first glanced at the picture, it looked like a green egg. That is one massive grape!
Rockgirl 09:11 AM 03-28-2019

I am going to hope that your client thought that because it was so much bigger than typical grapes that it would help teach her to bite it in half as it might not fit any other way.

I have been given "the look" a time or two for handing 4-year-olds a whole refrigerated apple when we were outside to help cool off. I view it as using the summer to prepare them for school lunches. Ours has a daily choice of a whole orange (they must peel and seed) a whole apple (they need to know not to eat the core) or a whole banana (they must peel). So many of the kids struggle with them during kindergarten that I felt I could at least help my little group.
I buy the bags of small apples and give each child their own. I’ve never thought I shouldn’t. Hmmm....
Cat Herder 09:37 AM 03-28-2019
I buy the bags of small apples and give each child their own. I’ve never thought I shouldn’t. Hmmm....
Here most centers use those spiral cut swirly things that peel them. It has been suggested that we peel them for 3 and under (it is not in regs, yet). I use a corer, then dice, for 3 and under. 3-4 just the corer. 4 and up, whole. My regs have a tendency to be over the top, but once they get to school they are on their own.

"Restrictions. Peanuts, hot dogs, raw carrots, popcorn, fish with bones and grapes shall not be served to
the children less than three (3) years of age. Children older than three (3) years of age may be served these
foods provided that the foods are cut in such a way as to minimize choking. "
Attached: applepeelercorer (450 x 450).jpg (31.0 KB) 
Josiegirl 09:48 AM 03-28-2019

I had a pedi and nurse family who would give their just barely 2 yo peanuts and let him ride part of the way home in the back window of their car. Then I had another dr.'s dd who hated her car seat; she was just a baby, maybe 6-8 mo. They drove many states away on a trip and she held her in her arms for much of the way because she cried. Yeh. People can be absolutely stupid sometimes and denial is at an all-time high with 'smart' individuals. Just look at the college scam going on. Rich, famous can buy anything and smart educated can get away with everything cause we all know 'it'll never happen to us' til it does.
Bluemoon5 10:43 AM 03-28-2019

She'd never heard of having to cut grapes etc. and said they give them to DCK in the car all the time.
Had a dcp tell me this after asking why I was cutting the grapes she had sent in. Kid was 13 or 14 mo. at the time.
jenboo 10:59 AM 03-28-2019
My friends make fun of me all the time because I cut my 3.5 yr olds grapes. Its just not worth the risk.
Mom2Two 11:33 AM 03-28-2019
I think I'll tape a pic of this to my chocolate chip box.
Cat Herder 12:29 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I think I'll tape a pic of this to my chocolate chip box.

Good luck! It did not work on my slice of key lime pie from DH this afternoon at all.
happymom 01:01 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
My friends make fun of me all the time because I cut my 3.5 yr olds grapes. Its just not worth the risk.
I cut my 3.5 year old's grapes, too. He's been very against it lately, but I am still scared.
Pestle 01:01 PM 03-28-2019
If that happened to my feet, you would have to keep me sedated and strapped to the bed so I didn't chop my own feet off.
Josiegirl 02:50 PM 03-28-2019

Eww eww eww, that poor kid!!
CityGarden 03:34 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
LOL I cut my 12 year olds grapes for her lunch ---- it's just a habit now....
CountryRoads 06:09 AM 03-29-2019
That thing is huge! OXO Tot makes this grape cutter that saves so much time! It's a pretty handy tool to have.

At least it was something healthy, I guess? I have 2 dcks who regularly come in with Oreo crumbs and Doritos on their faces
amberrose3dg 07:13 AM 04-01-2019

where is the puke face.
ColorfulSunburst 10:53 AM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
LOL I cut my 12 year olds grapes for her lunch ---- it's just a habit now....
I teach kids don't put a whole grape in their mouths. They must bite it no matter what size it is. They know why they MUST do it. I cut grapes for kids under 2yo. Everyone who is older knows how to eat it right.
DaveA 11:26 AM 04-01-2019

Aside from the "gross" factor that throws Ag biosecurity 101 out the window. Horrible idea
Cat Herder 11:37 AM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Aside from the "gross" factor that throws Ag biosecurity 101 out the window. Horrible idea
Makes kids traveling with a "lucky buckeye" in their pocket seem super innocuous now, doesn't it?
Tags:apples, child safety, choking hazard, food preparation, grapes, parent - its a verb
Reply Up