Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Cannot Do A Home Daycare. I Do Not Own My Home. I Looked Into Franchising A Daycare
TGPII 05:12 PM 03-29-2012
I can not do a home daycare. I do not own my home. I looked into franchising a daycare/preschool. Most franchisee want you to own the building/property and business Also most will not let you be owner and director. I heard there are companies that will help you start a daycare. I would like to rent a place for a daycare. I would like it located close to a public park, so I do not have to put up my own playground. Also, I like to be my own director. If this is in the wrong forum sorry, and let me know. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sugar Magnolia 05:27 PM 03-29-2012
I opened my own center. It can be done! IT IS NOT EASY, but can be done. I would not even consider a franchise. I am owner and director. I don't rent though, I bought the real estate. It is a historic house that I converted to daycare use. There are many many many zoning considerations. Honestly, if you can afford rent, you can probably afford to buy. Especially if you buy residential and go through the zoning to make it commercial. Location, location, location. We are near a park, but outdoor space is required anyways in my state, unless you are only doing infants. I would be happy to help you with specifics, you can pm me. :-)
TGPII 02:53 PM 04-14-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I opened my own center. It can be done! IT IS NOT EASY, but can be done. I would not even consider a franchise. I am owner and director. I don't rent though, I bought the real estate. It is a historic house that I converted to daycare use. There are many many many zoning considerations. Honestly, if you can afford rent, you can probably afford to buy. Especially if you buy residential and go through the zoning to make it commercial. Location, location, location. We are near a park, but outdoor space is required anyways in my state, unless you are only doing infants. I would be happy to help you with specifics, you can pm me. :-)
Who, what, were, when, why and how did you know to start?

Also here is another cool site I found you should check out:

http://atozteacherstuff.com/
kayla 05:34 PM 04-15-2012
I dont know what your state laws are but in my county you can run an in home daycare out of a rented home. My licenser gave me a "permission" slip to have filled out by my land lord. I do not own my home, I rent.
TGPII 06:08 PM 04-15-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
I dont know what your state laws are but in my county you can run an in home daycare out of a rented home. My licenser gave me a "permission" slip to have filled out by my land lord. I do not own my home, I rent.
I live with family, there house there rules.
TGPII 06:21 AM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by TGPII:
I live with family, there house there rules.
I heard there are companies/agencies/groups that you can hire that will help you start a daycare (get through the red tape). I tried to google for some but no luck.

Also, I was wonder how many people hear have backgrounds in education vs backgrounds in business?
I seen
daycare 07:00 AM 04-19-2012
Can you go rent your own house ?
Where do you live? Maybe you can work out of the rented house?
TGPII 08:07 AM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Can you go rent your own house ?
Where do you live? Maybe you can work out of the rented house?
Did you read the quesitons: I heard there are companies/agencies/groups that you can hire that will help you start a daycare (get through the red tape). I tried to google for some but no luck.

Also, I was wonder how many people hear have backgrounds in education vs backgrounds in business?
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by TGPII:
Did you read the quesitons: I heard there are companies/agencies/groups that you can hire that will help you start a daycare (get through the red tape). I tried to google for some but no luck.

She is asking you these questions because YOU asked for advice in your original post about starting up a daycare. I am sure she is only trying to be helpful to you.

It is often difficult to stay on topic if you have multiple topics going in one thread....kwim?
Sugar Magnolia 11:03 AM 04-19-2012
I would not hire anybody. It will be an expensive way if doing what you can do on your own with a little research, a lot of patience, and some creativity. They are planners, and you just don't need them. If you cannot buy a house, or a commercial property, renting your own house (like daycare said) us the next best option. You will need permission from the owner I assume. If you really want to open a center, and not do out in your own home, it can be done, but wading through the rules and regs is top priority. Pm me if you'd like, I have done it.
TGPII 11:15 AM 04-19-2012
I would not hire anybody. It will be an expensive way if doing what you can do on your own with a little research, a lot of patience, and some creativity. They are planners, and you just don't need them. If you cannot buy a house, or a commercial property, renting your own house (like daycare said) us the next best option. You will need permission from the owner I assume. If you really want to open a center, and not do out in your own home, it can be done, but wading through the rules and regs is top priority. Pm me if you'd like, I have done it.
Were should I start?
Sugar Magnolia 12:48 PM 04-19-2012
I would start with your city or.county zoning department, and find out what zoning districts child care centers are allowed. This is very important. If you plan on renting a building for a center, it should already be zoned appropriately. If you are buying, zoning is MAJORLY important. I bought residential, in a zoning district that allows child care. Once you find out where daycares are allowed, you have to find the right location. In my state, a center must have a Director with certain educational requirements. My degree is in historical archeology, so I had to take 18 hours in ECE.

BIT START WITH ZONING! hope this helps.
Unregistered 08:31 PM 12-30-2012
I have a degree as well but not in education. What were the classes you had to take?
allieannarbor 12:32 PM 12-31-2012
We rent a house, we live upstairs and in the basement and use the main floor for our program. We are licensed for 16 children. My information and suggestions will be on how to open and run an in-home program when you do not own a house.

Money will be your first deciding factor. If you seriously looked into the possibility of a franchise or hiring people than I will make an assumption for my following advice that you have funds available to you. If you live in an area with a large enough rental market you can find a rental property through craigslist. It is my experience that rental companies have a policy not to rent to in-home daycares, look for ads made by private owners (someone who rents out a house or two) and then if the property fits your general needs approach them with your suggestion.

When looking for a landlord amendable to the idea we expressed our responsibility and professionalism, the property would be more than cared for because we had a business to run. We also let them know that in addition to personal renter's insurance (to cover our own property) we would carry commercial business insurance (this is not expensive for the protection you receive and is highly recommended by Tom Copeland--google him) and list the property owner as an additional insured. Once they knew there was no risk of liability they were fine with the idea and we have a fabulous property.

The benefits of this route is that you can bypass zoning laws. With a commercial property there are many hoops involved from parking, traffic fees, conditional use permits, fees $$$, planing, etc. Those hoops like Magnolia said are challenging but meetable but for starting out this is a nice option.

If you did go this route finding the right property is key. Most houses have yards, you do not need to add play equipment, but you likely would need a fence so look for a house with a fenced yard (our landlord is so fabulous he paid for us to install a new fence and hubby did the labor). Look for a place with a dishwasher and washer dryer hookups (or better yet the washer and dryer in place). You will want enough space on the main floor as you will likely use that as your program space (saves the hassle of fire code and exit concerns). Many (but not all) states say you need 35 sq ft of useable space per child, so if you wanted to be licensed for 12 children you would need at least 420 sq feet of space that is not food prep area, hallway, storage, bathroom. If you know the address of your property you can easily found out the square footage of the main floor and other floors through your city's assessor website (where they have tax information for all properties and this includes squarefootage). You will want a main floor bathroom.

Additional things to research and read:
your child care division's (licensing agency) licensing guidelines. Read and know this book, it outlines everything you must do to be in compliance. They will outline the requirements of a provider, owner, director.

google your areas Child Care Resources, they may have information on how to get started with licensing and offer trainings for those wanting to get started. Lots of provider resources.

google Tom Copeland and read

Visit your city's website to confirm their zoning requirements for an in-home child care.

If you feel this was not helpful the appropriate response is still thank you, everyone's intention is to be helpful and kind.
kamari 09:41 AM 06-17-2013

I am looking to open up a home day care in Chicago. As of now my apartment I live in is very small and i wanted to know if there were any funding assistance programs that could possibly help so that I can get a bigger space and move forward with the process of opening up. Currently I am a nanny and part time teacher assistant and already have clients that are just waiting on me. I wanted to know if you had any suggestions or any advice. If you can e mail me that would be excellent [email protected]
Tags:franchising
Reply Up