Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Came With A Huge Wart!
MN Mom 08:05 AM 05-21-2012
DCB (4) came into today hands and lips stained blue from a sucker in the car. Mom suggested he will need his hands washed. Not a problem. We go to the kitchen sink after she leaves to wash and dry, and there is a HUGE wart on his wrist wright where the palm of the hand starts. I ask, "What's this?" DCB says, "A wart!". I suggested we cover it with a band-aid asap. He has a HUGE fit, kicking and screaming. I had to put him in time-out over the tantrum it was so bad.

I don't know if mom realizes how contagious warts are, or that they are caused by HPV (Human Papillomavirus). GRRRRR. I hate monday's!
SunshineMama 09:36 AM 05-21-2012
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
DCB (4) came into today hands and lips stained blue from a sucker in the car. Mom suggested he will need his hands washed. Not a problem. We go to the kitchen sink after she leaves to wash and dry, and there is a HUGE wart on his wrist wright where the palm of the hand starts. I ask, "What's this?" DCB says, "A wart!". I suggested we cover it with a band-aid asap. He has a HUGE fit, kicking and screaming. I had to put him in time-out over the tantrum it was so bad.

I don't know if mom realizes how contagious warts are, or that they are caused by HPV (Human Papillomavirus). GRRRRR. I hate monday's!
That is a predicament! What do you do about something like that I wonder? I'm not sure I would know what to do, other than to ask the parents to cover it up every day.

How are you going to handle it?
GretasLittleFriends 11:11 AM 05-21-2012
Are all warts contagious? I guess I never realized that.

I discovered a wart on a daycare boy, and we just put a band-aid on it and pointed it out to mom when she picked up. She seemed disturbed/concerned that he had a wart.
proudmommyofthree 11:49 AM 05-21-2012
I don't think warts are contagious. I have had them when I was younger. They went away (except for one) on their own by the time i was in my twenties.

I have one that never went away on my finger. My husband nor my children have ever gotten a wart from me.

I have been doing daycare for three years and none of the daycare kids have gotten warts from me either.

Yes they are gross to look at but I do not beleive they are contagious (genital warts are a sexual transmitted disease so yes these types of warts are contagious)

but the others are not.
SunshineMama 12:01 PM 05-21-2012
I had a wart on my hand a few years back and my doctor told me to be really careful changing my dd's diapers because I could spread it to her. Warts are a form of hpv and a wart on a hand I think can spread.
MN Mom 12:05 PM 05-21-2012
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
I don't think warts are contagious. I have had them when I was younger. They went away (except for one) on their own by the time i was in my twenties.

I have one that never went away on my finger. My husband nor my children have ever gotten a wart from me.

I have been doing daycare for three years and none of the daycare kids have gotten warts from me either.

Yes they are gross to look at but I do not beleive they are contagious (genital warts are a sexual transmitted disease so yes these types of warts are contagious)

but the others are not.
Yes warts are very contagious, and can be easily be spread even by touching something an infected person has touched; especially personal items (hair brush, razor, towels). With kids who like to pick at things it's an even bigger risk.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/common-warts/DS00370
Kelly 01:39 PM 05-21-2012
I wouldn't worry that much about a wart. They are contagious but not extremely so and most people who are exposed to them do not get them. Even if you get them it's not like they are dangerous or anything. They are a different strain of HPV from genital warts or the HPV that causes cancer. There are several ways to remove them or usually they will just go away on their own.
Unregistered 02:30 PM 05-21-2012
put a bandaid on the wart if it worries you......print a handout to the mom and go on with your day
DBug 03:22 PM 05-21-2012
I thought getting warts was a normal part of childhood .

I've had a few kids with them (all SA's) but I've never worried about them being contagious. Warts take a year or two to go away on their own and we wash our hands several times a day, so I don't expect parents to keep them covered. It's just not practical.

An easy home remedy for them is to cover them with a small square of banana peel, held on with duct tape at night. Crazy, I know, but it worked SOO quickly for my ds. My younger ds didn't want the banana peel on, so we used an OTC wart remover for him over the same time period. The warts my older ds had turned black and fell off over the course of about a week. Younger ds's wart took 2 or 3 weeks.

If you're concerned about it, you could probably do the banana peel during the days while dcb is in your care -- that way you could make sure it's being treated consistently.
SilverSabre25 04:42 PM 05-21-2012
Actually just putting duct tape over a wart at night while they sleep works wonders. Never heard the banana peel but I'll have to file that one away for future reference.
MN Mom 04:50 PM 05-21-2012
The only reason I'm concerned is because I take care of a little baby who's immune system is compromised by a birth defect she has...otherwise I wouldn't be terribly concerned. I put a band-aid over it and went ahead with our normal hand washing routines. It was just one of those frustrating moments where he was tantruming 5 min after getting here because I wanted to put a band-aid on him lol.
dEHmom 07:16 AM 05-22-2012
Ok, I am sorry to butt in on this, but I have a question.

My 6yo ds did something to his foot a few months ago. It looked like a little bruise or mark on the top of his foot. After a while it got darker purple, and now it's raised up, turned almost grayish purple and fading more as it gets bigger. Is this a wart????

I have never heard of warts being contagious. But good to know that.

Should I just go get an over the counter wart remover for him? Or is it faster to use the duct tape?
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 05-22-2012
Originally Posted by MN Mom:

Here is the technical sheet on Warts : http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...90_s6warts.pdf

and here is the parent sheet: http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...s%20parent.pdf

Hoping it helps.
Tags:hpv, warts
Reply Up