Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Longer Offering Part Time Care
Love 07:15 AM 08-30-2017
Ive decided to let my part time parents know that I will no longer be offering part time care. Ive been getting a lot of calls for full time spots and have realized Im losing a lot of money each month by having these part time kids and not able to fill the open days. Anybody have experience with this and how did you tell/explain it to the parents? Its nothing personal, just business.
Tin Blues 08:09 AM 08-30-2017
I decided when I opened 7 years ago to only offer full time care. The government limits my spots and I needed to maximize my earnings. It took a while to fill up. But gosh it's nice to have six kids with the exact same schedule 5 days a week. Most of the time I get the kids as infants and keep them until they age out at kindergarten. I don't do school aged kids.

Do what works for you and your business. Some people like part time and feel like they make more. I'd rather have continuity of care with the same routine and schedule everyday.
storybookending 08:24 AM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by Love:
Ive decided to let my part time parents know that I will no longer be offering part time care. Ive been getting a lot of calls for full time spots and have realized Im losing a lot of money each month by having these part time kids and not able to fill the open days. Anybody have experience with this and how did you tell/explain it to the parents? Its nothing personal, just business.
This. You do you. They might surprise you. I too favor full time care. I have two part timers currently and as soon as they age out I am done with part time care. A baby I am looking at taking on for summer of 2018 will have Tuesdays off but I told mom I only have a weekly rate. She seems okay with it.
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 08-30-2017
I offer 3, 4 or 5 days a week. Parents choose the option that works for them. The rates are adjusted accordingly so that those families using only 3 days per week are paying A LOT more than those using 4 or 5 days.

This helps me still be able to accommodate some not full time families but still generate the income needed to stay in the black.

ANY decision you make for your business is business and even if the parents take it as personal, it is still business.

The only way it can get personal is if you allow your emotions to dictate your actions.
Love 09:22 AM 08-30-2017
I can see myself getting emotional/defensive if they try to ask me why or get dramatic with me.
Blackcat31 09:26 AM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by Love:
I can see myself getting emotional/defensive if they try to ask me why or get dramatic with me.
Just try to reply with something like "I understand this change might not work for you/your family but it is a change that I need for my family."

Just keep that thought in your head and keep repeating it.

It's hard for sure when parents push but remember when they are pushing, it's an effort to get you to put their family before yours. When you look at it like that, it makes it much easier to stand firm no matter how much they ask..
laundrymom 09:41 AM 08-30-2017
"As of October first I am changing my availability to full time only care. I feel it's the best decision for my business at this time.
If your family would like to take advantage of the new program please request a contract by 9am on 9/15/17. If you do not request one by then I will assume you've made other childcare arrangements. "
Love 10:15 AM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Just try to reply with something like "I understand this change might not work for you/your family but it is a change that I need for my family."

Just keep that thought in your head and keep repeating it.

It's hard for sure when parents push but remember when they are pushing, it's an effort to get you to put their family before yours. When you look at it like that, it makes it much easier to stand firm no matter how much they ask..
This is true. My family comes first just like their family comes first to them. Because I can only have a certain amount of kids, i want maximum earnings.
Ariana 10:48 AM 08-30-2017
Also word it like it is a great opportunity for them and they get first dibs!

"I have decided to go full time and wanted to offer the spaces to my existing clients first. I understand if full time may not fit your needs at the moment so if this is not something you can do I am willing to give a 3 week notice to find alternate care.
I appreciate your business and understanding and hope you will be joining us full time!"
Reply Up