Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Back And Forth On New Closing Time
Lil_Diddle 11:46 AM 07-23-2018
At the end of last school year I updated my policies. I’ve been going towards having all teachers kids and so kids are almost always picked up by 4:30. With the exception on my only non teacher daycare child. She is always picked up at 5:30 with atleast one text a week that mom is running late.

So anyways. I added the policy that I will now close at 4:30 and it’s a $5 per day fee for 4:30-5:30. DCM wasn’t happy as I can understand. But my rationale at the time was that DCM has every other Monday off, but DCG is still always here till 4:30. The grandma was picking her up at 4:30 on Wednesday’s and Fridays. So that left two days a week I was hoping DCD could step up. I know that he gets home in time most days but he never picks up. So I did it and changed the policy.

Fast forward that the grandma is having major health issues and no longer picks up. Dad has stepped up some and picks up like once a week. However, last Monday DCM had the day off and took her older child to the pool and left younger daughter here. She said she would be back by 4:30 but it was still 5:30 pick up.

I really care for this family, but I can’t decide if I should reverse the new policy. I don’t want them to feel singled out and I know they can’t always get here at 4:30 but I just want something to make me feel like they will make more of an effort when they can
Lil_Diddle 11:47 AM 07-23-2018
Oops it should say on mom’s day off DCG is always here till 5:30
storybookending 11:51 AM 07-23-2018
If you want to be closed at 4:30 you need to tell them that closing is at 4:30 and is not negotiable. Offering care from 4:30-5:30 for an additional $5 a day just tells them that you are okay with the child being there until that time.
Cat Herder 11:55 AM 07-23-2018
If you don't want to work past 430, change your hours to end at 430.

Simplify.
amberrose3dg 12:00 PM 07-23-2018
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
At the end of last school year I updated my policies. I’ve been going towards having all teachers kids and so kids are almost always picked up by 4:30. With the exception on my only non teacher daycare child. She is always picked up at 5:30 with atleast one text a week that mom is running late.

So anyways. I added the policy that I will now close at 4:30 and it’s a $5 per day fee for 4:30-5:30. DCM wasn’t happy as I can understand. But my rationale at the time was that DCM has every other Monday off, but DCG is still always here till 4:30. The grandma was picking her up at 4:30 on Wednesday’s and Fridays. So that left two days a week I was hoping DCD could step up. I know that he gets home in time most days but he never picks up. So I did it and changed the policy.

Fast forward that the grandma is having major health issues and no longer picks up. Dad has stepped up some and picks up like once a week. However, last Monday DCM had the day off and took her older child to the pool and left younger daughter here. She said she would be back by 4:30 but it was still 5:30 pick up.

I really care for this family, but I can’t decide if I should reverse the new policy. I don’t want them to feel singled out and I know they can’t always get here at 4:30 but I just want something to make me feel like they will make more of an effort when they can
Close at 430. Make them figure it out or find someone to stay open later.i get calls all the time wanting later hours. I refuse to stay open later than I want to be.
Blackcat31 12:03 PM 07-23-2018

You mean when they feel like it....

Apparently they ALWAYS have the ability to pick up early but don't. DCD can but doesn't.

Why are YOU the one having to pick up the slack?

I understand you don't want them to feel singled out yet they don't appear to have the same respect for you.

I would close at 4:30 and let them figure it out.
It really isn't your issue unless you choose to make it your issue....(by offering options, including paying an extra fee) so I would simply say "As of xx date ABC Child Care will be closing at 4:30. If these hours do not work for you, please refer to your handbook in regards to submitting notice of withdrawal."

If you really want to "encourage" them to change their behavior without closing at 4:30, charge ALOT more than $5 for that last hour of care. If the fee is high enough, I am willing to bet they start picking up by 4:30.
happymom 12:15 PM 07-23-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If you really want to "encourage" them to change their behavior without closing at 4:30, charge ALOT more than $5 for that last hour of care. If the fee is high enough, I am willing to bet they start picking up by 4:30.
$5 is not enough. That's $25 per week for a total of FIVE extra hours of work. Charge $25 per day, but it must be contracted. They pay extra for the same days every week.
CityGarden 12:55 PM 07-23-2018
I am sorry but it seems like this family is not a good fit for your program. You want teachers and teacher schedules keep your new schedule and market to replace this child/family.

Right now by having this one non-teacher family it is "just" 5 hours difference.... what about school holidays you could take off if you had all teachers? what about in service days you could take off? etc. It will certainly be more than 5 hours and IF you bend on this they will feel they can get you to compromise on others areas too. It will create a snow ball of disrespect....

5 hours of my life is worth more than $25 and caring for myself and my family is more important than trying to not rock the boat with this family.
Lil_Diddle 02:33 PM 07-23-2018
They have been with me for the last 9 years, only two years to go until their child is in kindergarten, so I really hoped to make it work. They have been flexible on days I ask off. It really hasn’t been that bad. DCD was also my brother’s best friend growing up so, it’s almost like family. It’s so hard when friends/family and business mix. I was absolutely set on it, but now with the grandma I feel like giving them a break. I was about ready to change my mind until mom’s day off again she left her daughter here from 8-5:30 while her and her other child went to the pool and whatever else they did.
Snowmom 05:29 PM 07-23-2018
I know this may sound harsh but Grandma should not have any factor in your decision to close earlier.
The child's parents can make the 4:30 pick up work, they just choose not to. Likely because they know you'll be there regardless.

In the end, if they value you and the service you provide, they will make it work. Do what's best for you and your family.
Annalee 05:48 PM 07-23-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You mean when they feel like it....

Apparently they ALWAYS have the ability to pick up early but don't. DCD can but doesn't.

Why are YOU the one having to pick up the slack?

I understand you don't want them to feel singled out yet they don't appear to have the same respect for you.

I would close at 4:30 and let them figure it out.
It really isn't your issue unless you choose to make it your issue....(by offering options, including paying an extra fee) so I would simply say "As of xx date ABC Child Care will be closing at 4:30. If these hours do not work for you, please refer to your handbook in regards to submitting notice of withdrawal."

"If a clients wants your services, they will do what it takes to make it work".
amberrose3dg 03:48 AM 07-24-2018
They have been with me for the last 9 years, only two years to go until their child is in kindergarten, so I really hoped to make it work. They have been flexible on days I ask off. It really hasn’t been that bad. DCD was also my brother’s best friend growing up so, it’s almost like family. It’s so hard when friends/family and business mix. I was absolutely set on it, but now with the grandma I feel like giving them a break. I was about ready to change my mind until mom’s day off again she left her daughter here from 8-5:30 while her and her other child went to the pool and whatever else they did.
I would so tell them they have to be picked up by 430!
Tags:closing time
Reply Up