Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Quit If You Could?
Unregistered 06:07 AM 07-25-2018
Be honest. If you came to a point where you were very stable financially would you close your daycare? For example, your spouse is given a huge raise ect. I would quit FOR SURE. My biggest reasons are the parents and lack of parenting these days. Also just tired of all the wear and tear on my home and mental health. Well, I could go on and on. So, would you guys stop daycare if you could and what would be your biggest reasons for shutting it down?
Cat Herder 06:15 AM 07-25-2018
I would not quit if my spouse got a huge raise since that has nothing to do with my income or bills. That would just mean he could quit his second job.

Now, if I came into a huge windfall I would finish out this group to school (4 more years) then just keep my second job. I need a purpose, to contribute to society. I am not so great with leisure.
gumdrops 06:23 AM 07-25-2018
I've always said I would open a center if I won the lottery. If I was actually sitting on millions though, it might be hard to take on more responsibilities versus less. So I wouldn't know until it actually happens. And it's part of my life plan that it will happen
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 07-25-2018
Absolutely!! I'd quit the second I had the check in my hand.....

.....and I wouldn't feel one bit guilty.

I'm in this (job) right now because I make a pretty good income so if the opportunity presented itself that provided a better means of financial support, you bet I'd quit.

I didn't get into this profession because it was my "calling" or life's passion....so getting out for the same reasons I currently stay seems a like a no brainer for me.
Snowmom 06:54 AM 07-25-2018
Me?

No... not quite yet.

I plan to quit when my own kids are able to stay home themselves without supervision. My daughter is nearly at that age, my son isn't close.
I got into this because I wanted to be home for them.
If hubby was making more money, then it would go into our retirement fund.

However, every change that comes up with the state requirements has me rethinking that choice. So, I re-evaluate that decision every year.
boy_mom 07:27 AM 07-25-2018
Yes ma'am!!! That's what I did last year!!

My husband received a new job that allowed me to cut back my working hours (not that there is any break when raising a 3 and 6 year old ). I found a different work from home job that is a much better fit for me and my family and didn't think twice about closing my daycare!
CalCare 07:28 AM 07-25-2018
Not really! This is what I always wanted to do. I could quit today and go make the same amount as a teacher at my friend's center (if I didn't want to do this in my home or run a business). Or, I could just quit working because husband's income is enough. But I'm not looking for "enough". I want to work and do a good job and feel like I'm making a difference for my family and even, in a small part, the world hehe. This is what I always wanted. I do think that because it's not imperative for me to make each dollar, I can be selective about my families and I have hours I like etc. So it's probably easier going, for me, then for example a single income provider who must fill spots and do qris and take what crazy families she can get because she needs to pay the bills. I know I'm lucky in that regard.
Ariana 07:33 AM 07-25-2018
Yuppers!!!
amberrose3dg 07:47 AM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Be honest. If you came to a point where you were very stable financially would you close your daycare? For example, your spouse is given a huge raise ect. I would quit FOR SURE. My biggest reasons are the parents and lack of parenting these days. Also just tired of all the wear and tear on my home and mental health. Well, I could go on and on. So, would you guys stop daycare if you could and what would be your biggest reasons for shutting it down?
Yes , same as black cat . I am transitioning into only doing before and after care.i wish I could say that I wouldn't quit. You betcha I will the second I can.
storybookending 08:02 AM 07-25-2018
Unless it was a mega millions jackpot or something I just don’t think I would quit entirely. If it were a ton of money where I was basically set for life I might drop it back to nieces and nephews only or I might finish out the current group as I have a great one. I would need something to fill my time as I’m single and childless as it is. I would for sure be taking a lot more time off though.
Unregistered 08:25 AM 07-25-2018
Absolutely yes if my son were still at home but since we are empty nesters, I would probably still keep an infant part time. I would definitely cut my hours way back.
Josiegirl 09:02 AM 07-25-2018
I'd like to quit. My 65th birthday is coming up this fall and I'd love to be able to travel a bit, volunteer a lot, visit my kids. Those are all things I just don't have the time/energy/money for right now. Even on my income I can't afford it so it would only happen if I came into a huge windfall. Because social security will be a joke to retire on. But I'm not getting any younger; I've known too many people who retire, only to die within a couple years. I don't want to be one of those people.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:05 AM 07-25-2018
Yes! If we were that lucky guy in CA who just won $500 million, I'd quit in a heartbeat and we would travel, volunteer, enjoy life. I would go back to school with no financial pressure. I would eat really good food, like lobster fresh out of the water, or the best bolognese Italy has to offer. I would be perfectly happy living in our same home and driving our same cars. I just want money so we can do more stuff without needing to work. I can choose to work, but it's not necessary. That sort of freedom is what I want. Some day!
Ac114 09:14 AM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I'm in this (job) right now because I make a pretty good income so if the opportunity presented itself that provided a better means of financial support, you bet I'd quit.

I didn't get into this profession because it was my "calling" or life's passion....so getting out for the same reasons I currently stay seems a like a no brainer for me.

100% agree with black cat!
Unregistered 09:24 AM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Yes! If we were that lucky guy in CA who just won $500 million, I'd quit in a heartbeat and we would travel, volunteer, enjoy life. I would go back to school with no financial pressure. I would eat really good food, like lobster fresh out of the water, or the best bolognese Italy has to offer. I would be perfectly happy living in our same home and driving our same cars. I just want money so we can do more stuff without needing to work. I can choose to work, but it's not necessary. That sort of freedom is what I want. Some day!
Yes! This is what I am talking about. Good example here. Financially stable for life=quit daycare.
Gemma 09:46 AM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
After doing this job for so many years, I have developed a system, and strict policies that allow me to actually enjoy this job, so NO, I am NOT ready to quit.
....but I do stress over Licensing rules and regulations, I can read the rules and still wonder if I'm doing it right and those "gray areas" will drive me to quit sooner than I would like.
My family would LOVE for me to quit today!
Second Home 10:06 AM 07-25-2018
Yes .
Annalee 10:27 AM 07-25-2018
OH YEAH!!!!! You bet I would! I think the reasons are self-explanatory! I do love my job and did get into it because of the children and I also have a love for business so this job allows me to do both. But this job also provides income for my family and if that income wasn't needed....out of here I would be
DaveA 10:31 AM 07-25-2018
The day it makes more financial sense to work in my shop full time is the day DCPs get the "I'm closing" notice. I'd probably volunteer 1X/ week or so at children's museum, library, or children's hospital just so I wouldn't become a compete hermit.

That being said unless we're talking insane rich money I'd probably still teach CPR & First Aid to other providers just to have another income source.
e.j. 11:45 AM 07-25-2018
I'm with Gemma! I'd probably want to hang in until my current group of kids aged out but after that, I'd quit. It's not the kids or parents that would drive me away; I've been very lucky in that respect. It's the ever growing regulations/gray areas that I'd walk away from if I could afford to quit.
Meeko 11:55 AM 07-25-2018
Oh yeah! I would retire in a heartbeat!
hwichlaz 12:28 PM 07-25-2018
No, but I would do more preschool-y less daycare-y
tenderhearts 12:28 PM 07-25-2018
I think it's hard for me to say what I would actually do in that moment but right now, thinking this very moment yes I would, however there is another side of me that doesn't think I could close but maybe cut back for sure, that way I could do more outside stuff with the kids field trips ect.
MyAngels 09:14 PM 07-25-2018
It depends. If my dh just started making enough money to cover my income then no, I'd just start cranking up the retirement savings. If some far flung relative that I've never met kicked off and left me a big fat inheritance then yes, yes I would quit
ellen211 01:36 AM 07-26-2018
If that's really your passion, then you should not quit.
Josiegirl 02:29 AM 07-26-2018
Originally Posted by ellen211:
If that's really your passion, then you should not quit.
I think my passion left me a lot of years ago. I do remember a time when my heart and head were both in this game but nowadays, with kids' disrespect and state regs. taking up more time than teaching children and having fun everyday....it's total burn-out.
So yeh, hand me the megabucks ticket to the way out please. And if I ever got that much money, I'd pass along my good fortune to a dcf or 2, who I know would love to quit also.
sharlan 07:20 AM 07-26-2018
Yes.

I'm down to 2 2yos. I'm loving it.

I have August 17, 2019 circled on my calendar as my final day.
CityGarden 08:16 AM 07-26-2018
Yes I would....

I love what I do but if I had a level of generational wealth that would allow me to start my own commercial preschool or another business outside of my home I would do that in a heart beat. I also love writing and could easily be a novelist/writer full time if money were no concern.
daycarediva 10:21 AM 07-26-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

^ that.

It would not be a 'raise', it would have to be 'set for life' money. Millions, honestly. If I could pay off all debt, set aside trusts for my kids, live until I was 101 without a worry about money, sure.

Otherwise, I'm working. A raise/any job can be lost.
Unregistered 08:18 PM 07-26-2018
In a minute!!!!!! No notice, just see you later alligator.
Tags:daycare - experience, daycare - life after, daycare environment, daycare experiences, fun stuff, quitting daycare
Reply Up