Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Use Cots or Toddler Beds For Overnight Daycare?
ADB 08:51 AM 08-20-2018
I'm planning to start an overnight daycare. To cut down on startup cost I was thinking of getting cots. What do most of you use for your daycares? Do the parents seem to mind if you use cots?
LysesKids 08:56 AM 08-20-2018
Originally Posted by ADB:
I'm planning to start an overnight daycare. To cut down on startup cost I was thinking of getting cots. What do most of you use for your daycares? Do the parents seem to mind if you use cots?
For overnights most of my past parents preferred beds or cribs ( for the youngest). Your state regulations normally tell you what is allowed. I don't do overnights anymore but am still required a 3" mattress or mat for kids 12 months & older
CityGarden 12:42 PM 08-20-2018
As a parent for overnights I would want toddler beds (or cribs for little ones).... not cots. Do you have an Ikea near you?

Ikea Toddler Bed #1 $70

Ikea Toddler Bed #2 $90

You could buy two toddler beds to start with so you can "show your set up" and add the cost of them to your enrollment/materials fee.

I charge an enrollment/annual materials fee. When a new child enrolls I purchase a specific nap mat ($40-60 depending on the pattern), Klean Kanteen water bottle ($20) and new cubby basket ($25).... the remainder funds go to art supplies/preschool curriculum and to replenish toys/etc.
Pandaluver21 01:26 PM 08-20-2018
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-Ca...l-Bed/36261489

I have these (in different characters)
I have used them for stay overs as well, though I don't regularly do overnights.
storybookending 07:36 PM 08-20-2018
I use toddler beds for my +2 crowd as my situation is unique as I have a room they are permanently set up in as I live alone.

They are basically all (one is wood) these character beds at the link below
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Minnie-Mo...r-Bed/37086342

I spray painted them all white and I think they look cute. I did get 2 of them for free as my cousin who also does daycare became pregnant with baby #2 and she needed to switch to mats as she needed the room they were set up with for a nursery so that helped with cost!
hwichlaz 08:53 PM 08-20-2018
When I did overnight care I didn't have a daycare bedroom...they bunked with my own kids or on the pull out couch. And most of the time, overnight kids were older, school aged on up to about 12 or 13...old enough to hang out at home after school, but not over night. So I used twin sized roll away beds.
LysesKids 05:20 AM 08-21-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
When I did overnight care I didn't have a daycare bedroom...they bunked with my own kids or on the pull out couch. And most of the time, overnight kids were older, school aged on up to about 12 or 13...old enough to hang out at home after school, but not over night. So I used twin sized roll away beds.
I host couch surfers from out of country on a number of weekends each year... I keep blow up beds & extra sleeping bags on hand; 2 weekends ago I had a family of 5 from Thailand, a few years ago same weekend a family of 3 from Iceland. I can't be paid enough to do overnight care again because I have too much fun with visitors lol
flying_babyb 06:26 PM 08-22-2018
So I worked in a center, open till mdnight and we had cots. the kids were miserable. Being that close to the floor is COLD in winter. The bigger kids (5+) for the most part would hang off the ends. It wasnt very home-like. I would look for either portable toddler cots that are higher or a go beds. I would get the toddler beds used, BUT buy new matresses to cut costs. Ohh! or build your own toddler beds (google anna white)
Tags:cots vs mats, overnight care, overnight sleeping surfaces
Reply Up