Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newsletter Questions & Shutterfly Site Questions
CityGarden 01:38 PM 08-24-2018
NEWSLETTERS

Do any of you do a newsletter?

I am not sure if I will do them monthly or just seasonally, but I feel the desire and need to do one for the Fall.... since I have several new children starting and my currently families who need some seasonal reminders.

If you do a newsletter is it digital? What do you use for it? (i.e. mail chimp, constant contact, etc.)

If it is not digital what do you use for a template? I know some teachers/daycares like a paper newsletter that can easily go on the fridge.

PROS/CONS/Thoughts on digital vs. paper (I can email the paper version still)

SHUTTERFLY SHARE SITE

Instead of daily notes which I have been currently doing I am going to have a Shutterfly Share Site it will have a calendar, class journal and pictures so pretty basic. I will not commit to updating it each day but will aim to update it weekly.

Any tips? Have any of you offered one for your parents?
Blackcat31 01:49 PM 08-24-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
NEWSLETTERS

Do any of you do a newsletter? Yes, I do a seasonal newsletter 4x per year. Additional ones if/when necessary.

I am not sure if I will do them monthly or just seasonally, but I feel the desire and need to do one for the Fall.... since I have several new children starting and my currently families who need some seasonal reminders.

I post a copy of the newsletter on the bulletin board in the entryway so anyone that lost or didn't get the newsletter can read or re-read.

If you do a newsletter is it digital? What do you use for it? (i.e. mail chimp, constant contact, etc.)

If it is not digital what do you use for a template? I know some teachers/daycares like a paper newsletter that can easily go on the fridge.

Mine is on paper and I create it myself using Word.
I am not sure if I am old school, creative or just plain archaic

Yes, I could email them on paper but I like creating them and I prefer handing each parent one directly. It's easier to call them out when they say they didn't get one. (I keep a check off list when handing them out so I know who actually got one) I can't make them read it but its a bit harder to argue policies if you DID get them but CHOSE not to read them.

SHUTTERFLY SHARE SITE

Instead of daily notes which I have been currently doing I am going to have a Shutterfly Share Site it will have a calendar, class journal and pictures so pretty basic. I will not commit to updating it each day but will aim to update it weekly.

I have a password protected section on my website just for sharing pictures and big events with lots of photos etc... but honestly I forget to update it, the pen/paper method for newsletters seems more convenient and I just text individual pics to whatever parent I want to share them with.

Some times I will print off a group photo and post it on my bulletin board and if someone wants a copy or whatever Id happy do so but it's just not something all my parents seem to care about. Every time I think I find a nice method of "sharing" there are families that like it differently so I just do what works for me and whatever is easiest at the time.

I replied in red above as well.
Snowmom 02:07 PM 08-24-2018
I do a newsletter every 3-4 months.
I use it as reminders for days off, things I need, party days, etc.
I got the Powerpoint template from one of the daycare groups I belong too. I use the same template each time, then print to hand out.

I also have a password protected website for pictures, videos and business info. That I update every week. Sometimes 2x a week. It shows me stats too, so I know if things have been viewed. It also allows me "pages" so I can upload a PDF of documents for families, including my handbook.
acemanhattan 08:36 AM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I do a newsletter every 3-4 months.
I use it as reminders for days off, things I need, party days, etc.
I got the Powerpoint template from one of the daycare groups I belong too. I use the same template each time, then print to hand out.

I also have a password protected website for pictures, videos and business info. That I update every week. Sometimes 2x a week. It shows me stats too, so I know if things have been viewed. It also allows me "pages" so I can upload a PDF of documents for families, including my handbook.
You sound like you're on top of things!

Is your website easy to manage? Is it powered by Wordpress?
MarinaVanessa 10:30 AM 08-27-2018
Do any of you do a newsletter?
I do. I send them monthly.

If you do a newsletter is it digital? (i.e. mail chimp)
I used to create mine on word and save them as a PDF, then take a screenshot of them so I have an image version. I email them from my daycare email address and add the photo in the content area and the PDF as an attachment.
I also post a copy on my bulletin board and print each family a copy. Starting next month I will also post them on my website.

I used to use mail chimp (a long time ago) but it was free back then. I tried going back to it again but I think they charge now? I don't know of something that's like it that's free so that's why I use my own email.

What do you use for it?
I use it for lots of things.
- remind them of days that I'll be closed
- share licensing updates (hot topics)
- notify parents of new regulations and/or changes in the FCC regulations
- alert them of changes in my policies
- address policies that are becoming/may become an issue
- share field trip days /fun holidays (national pancake day etc.)
- share child care/child development articles (play is learning etc)
- share what we will be doing that month and recap of what we did the previous month
etc

If it is not digital what do you use for a template?
I have used word and used a template from there and just changed it up until I liked it.

Now I use Canva.com and I like it much better. I got ideas from their templates and changed them too to fit what I wanted.

I added a copy of September's so you can see (using Canva)

Different people like different methods so that's why I email a digital version and print them a copy.

SHUTTERFLY SHARE SITE
The only negative thing I can say to Shutterfly share sites is that it will email a notification to everyone for EVERY update, addition, comment etc that someone makes to the site. My Girl Scout troop used Shutterfly and it was easy to lose a notification because every time the leader would update it and we would respond we ALL would get emails.

We switched from Shutterfly over to the BAND app and that way you can opt to turn certain notifications off and can create a new BAND group for each family so that if you pst certain updates, messages or pictures that are only meant for that one family the other families don't get bombarded with updates. You can also have an "everyone" BAND group for calendar events, policies etc.

As of right now I don't offer an online group like an app or Shutterfly, but I was thinking about possibly using BAND.

[/quote]
Attached: 1.jpg (506.2 KB) 2.jpg (545.3 KB) 3.jpg (523.6 KB) 4.jpg (525.0 KB) 
Annalee 10:39 AM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
NEWSLETTERS

Do any of you do a newsletter? Yes, QRIS requires monthly for stars

If you do a newsletter is it digital? What do you use for it? (i.e. mail chimp, constant contact, etc.)I use word and then print on some colorful preschool paper, simple I guess but that's just me I place them in each family's sign-in log divider page

If it is not digital what do you use for a template? I know some teachers/daycares like a paper newsletter that can easily go on the fridge.I place one on my bulletin board as well where the clients enter

PROS/CONS/Thoughts on digital vs. paper (I can email the paper version still)Whatever works for you clients should be fine

SHUTTERFLY SHARE SITE

I text pics occasionally....i really need to update the pics for display in my room but am slow to empty the pics from my phone I also text reminders when needed. Good luck to you
Tags:bulletin boards, newsletters, parent notes, share sites, shutterfly
Reply Up