Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pick Up Your Kid and Leave
Unregistered 05:55 AM 08-30-2018
I am about to hand out my illness rules once again like I do every September as a "reminder." I would also like to add at the bottom of this "reminder" sheet that I want parents to pick up their kids and leave.....quickly. I have my own children, husband, oh and life. When my day is over I want it over....fast. Can you ladies give me a quick to the point, polite sentence or 2 that I can add on to the illness sheet I will be handing out in regards to getting out of my house with kids fast kind of thing. Thanks! Can you tell it has been an annoying week?
rosieteddy 06:19 AM 08-30-2018
I started having everyone ready .We sat in front entrance reading books and singing.When each parent arrived their child said hello to them goodbye to us got a sticker and left.It cut down on parents sticking around.Infants were all ready in their car seats ready to go.
Unregistered 07:50 AM 08-30-2018
Having the kids ready is not an option. My day ends at 4:30, however my parents can be done working anytime after 3, so pick up time varies.
amberrose3dg 08:49 AM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Having the kids ready is not an option. My day ends at 4:30, however my parents can be done working anytime after 3, so pick up time varies.
couple of suggestions.
1. maybe get an outside camera you can see them pull in and get the child ready. Do not open the door until the child is ready and hand off.

2. ask the parent to text when they are like 5 mins away.
I do that when I have parents schedules that vary.It helps since pick ups are so busy and sorry but we don't have a lot of time to chat while other children are present.
Snowmom 10:41 AM 08-30-2018
"Reminder: drop off and pick up should be as brief as possible. I do my best to inform you of anything you may need to know through (whatever form of communication you use). If you require more information from me, please send me a message to set up a time to talk. Thank you for your cooperation."
Ariana 10:54 AM 08-30-2018
Shut all conversation down. Answer with yes and no answers only and smile and nod. Do not engage at all with the parent. My parents leave pretty quickly because I don’t talk to them except to say “they had a gread day, ate well and slept well”.

I would not expect a parent to read a reminder and follow it. It almost never happens!
trytobearunner34 11:39 AM 08-30-2018
In my experience, blanket reminders only work for those who were not offenders to begin with.

If having the child(ren) ready to roll is not a viable option, then I would say my goodbye to the child, update the parent on the day (if not done through other means), tell the parent to have a great evening, and turn my attention 100% back to the other children.
MarinaVanessa 11:45 AM 08-30-2018
This is what I have in different sections of my handbook ...
Maybe it will help you write something of your own.

Clients must be respectful of my time, the needs of my own family and other obligations and must respect their contracted hours ....

If you have a question or concern to discuss with me I am always happy to conference with you, but ask that you arrive early enough before your scheduled pick-up time or make an appointment with me so that there is enough time to talk.

... Handle daycare matters before signing out your child. You can exit my home once you have signed your child out of care.

... Fees apply to any time used outside of your contracted hours. For example, if your scheduled pick up is at 4:00 p.m. but you do not leave my daycare home until 4:10 p.m, the appropriate late fee will apply for those 10 minutes.

littlefriends 08:16 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I started having everyone ready .We sat in front entrance reading books and singing.When each parent arrived their child said hello to them goodbye to us got a sticker and left.It cut down on parents sticking around.Infants were all ready in their car seats ready to go.
This is exactly how I do pick up as well, seems to work so far!
Cat Herder 09:37 AM 08-31-2018
I added a buh-bye outside tag. It will take you to lots of ideas.

This was my advice in 2012, still applies today.

"Switch to the Buh-Bye Outside Program.

AKA, Kiss-N-Go. Been around and effective since the 70's.

Lock doors, have children dressed and ready to go home....then meet them at the door.

Simple solution. Works wonders. Adults should never have access to other peoples children unless they are on the pick-up list."
Annalee 09:41 AM 08-31-2018
I have my kids ready and waiting in the foyer....when I see the parent pull in driveway, I tell the child to hurry and get hugs (because they try to pull that trick when they want to run back to the other kids). Then if the parent says "did you give hug to your friends", I say "already done, see ya tomorrow" If the child says "I have to go potty" (they pull that trick, too), I say "you just pottied", see ya tomorrow".....the parents gradually get the hint....
CityGarden 01:00 PM 09-02-2018
I switched to a set pick up time (15 minutes window) and love it so much better. I have all the kids ready on the porch reading stories when their parents arrive.
LysesKids 11:53 PM 09-02-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I added a buh-bye outside tag. It will take you to lots of ideas.

This was my advice in 2012, still applies today.

"Switch to the Buh-Bye Outside Program.

AKA, Kiss-N-Go. Been around and effective since the 70's.

Lock doors, have children dressed and ready to go home....then meet them at the door.

Simple solution. Works wonders. Adults should never have access to other peoples children unless they are on the pick-up list."
Kiss n go is my go to lol. All my parents know my doors are locked unless you are expected @ your pick up time - I refuse to let anyone just walk in; yes, I have an open door policy - doesn't mean it has to unlocked. They want to drop-off/pick up outside of normal hours they have to text me & let me know, otherwise they have to ring my doorbell
Lil_Diddle 10:43 PM 09-06-2018
My new family is great, kids are sweet, parents are nice. But oh my, mom is a lingerer. It doesn’t help deb is one of the last ones. We can be outside, shoes on and it still takes 10 minutes. Just today, at 10min to close (which granted I did have another DCG in care) DCM and her older school age daughter walk towards the drive. “_____wanted to get out too so she could play on the equipment”
C’mon people, I just want to go shut down for awhile
lblanke 02:31 AM 09-07-2018
Sorry, insurance won't allow non-enrolled children to play on equipment during open hours.
MomBoss 07:15 AM 09-07-2018
Originally Posted by lblanke:
Sorry, insurance won't allow non-enrolled children to play on equipment during open hours.
This is a great excuse and its true! At least for my insurance. I have to say how many kids I have and pay accordinfly. It wouldnt cover anyone but the kids I watch.
Tags:buh-bye outside, kiss-n-go lane
Reply Up