Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do Parents Get So Irritated At This?!
Lovisa 06:31 AM 08-31-2018
Seriously. Why do SO many parents balk at having a weekly tuition, whether their child attends care or not??? I offer 2 rates. Part time and full time. These tuitions guarantee your spot in my daycare Monday through Friday. You are free to use ALL of those days, or not. Either way, you pay the weeks tuition. This is how EVERY single pre school is around here. Why don't they complain about that? I always get asked why I don't charge by the day when new clients come around. You know why? Because I have these pesky little things called BILLS. Because if I took a kid for a day or two only per week, and ONLY charged for that day or two individually, I would have a hard time filling in gaps and making enough money to freaking live!

Vent over lol. I'm just feeling UGH some days defending my tuition rates!
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 08-31-2018
*Because the media has them convinced that childcare is expensive instead of the fact that their decision to have children is what is expensive.

I know you did not really want an answer.

I just really wanted to say it again.
amberrose3dg 06:37 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
*Because the media has them convinced that childcare is expensive instead of the fact that their decision to have children is what is expensive.

And they deserve special.
I do not even interview people if they start off asking about daily versus weekly. I am sorry but you can pay for your spot or go somewhere else. How would they like us to say sorry you do not have care today, I gave it to someone else.
LysesKids 07:06 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
And they deserve special.
I do not even interview people if they start off asking about daily versus weekly. I am sorry but you can pay for your spot or go somewhere else. How would they like us to say sorry you do not have care today, I gave it to someone else.
I offer Daily & Monthly lol...Pay by the day, you risk not getting that space as I prefer FT clients since I have limited spaces; my policies specifically state that Pay by the day is considered Drop-in care & if a FT family wants to contract the spot, you are out of luck

I have a mom that bitched me this morning because she didn't remember fees are due ( plus I'm closed Monday)... You pay on Tuesday , your $$ just went up because it states so in the contract lol. No pay by tonight, it automatically goes to daily rate
Annalee 07:43 AM 08-31-2018

Isn't it frustrating how accountability/responsibility is near non-existent anymore?
Miss A 07:56 AM 08-31-2018

Exactly! I provided part time care to a friends child last year, and her dad-childs grandfather- paid for daycare each week. Now, her child is in 4 year old preschool, which is 2 half days a week. Her tuition for a MONTH is $90, and she has complained to me 3 times in the past month about how expensive it is, (she is unemployed, her DH has told her it is time for her to find a job, and she is balking at the idea because "I don't need my husband telling me what I need to do." ) and how her and her DH could be using that money in so many different ways.

I so badly want to tell her that what she is paying per month is less than most families pay per week for care.
amberrose3dg 08:02 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Exactly! I provided part time care to a friends child last year, and her dad-childs grandfather- paid for daycare each week. Now, her child is in 4 year old preschool, which is 2 half days a week. Her tuition for a MONTH is $90, and she has complained to me 3 times in the past month about how expensive it is, (she is unemployed, her DH has told her it is time for her to find a job, and she is balking at the idea because "I don't need my husband telling me what I need to do." ) and how her and her DH could be using that money in so many different ways.

I so badly want to tell her that what she is paying per month is less than most families pay per week for care.
If she isn't working surely the child can stay home with her and save her the 90 bucks a month.
People like that are quite annoying. Don't have children if you do not want to pay for them.
happymom 08:10 AM 08-31-2018
I think it's honestly because these parents are budgeting wrong.

They are figuring what daycare costs per day and subtracting it from what they make per day. Say mom makes $80 per day at work, pay $35 to daycare, she figures she makes $45 a day by going to work....and neglects to think about it as a monthly/weekly/yearly budget.

By doing this they also neglect to think about the provider and how the provider makes a living
littlefriends 08:13 AM 08-31-2018
Ugh yes, very frustrating!!! I don’t feel that this is difficult to understand but it seems to be! I just let a family go this week because they took two weeks off for a vacation and when I told them Monday morning their total (including late fees!) they pretty much lost their minds, tried telling me they “cleared” it with me before they left, and when that didn’t work threatened to sue me. I just had to laugh and remind them I could reach right into my file box and show them their signed contracts if they needed me to. At least it’s a 3 day weekend!!
Cat Herder 08:29 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:

They are figuring what daycare costs per day and subtracting it from what they make per day. Say mom makes $80 per day at work, pay $35 to daycare, she figures she makes $45 a day by going to work....and neglects to think about it as a monthly/weekly/yearly budget.

By doing this they also neglect to think about the provider and how the provider makes a living
Most also don't know our rates doubled a few years ago because our ratios were slashed in half. It was not our choice (political buzzword quality). I am fully capable of keeping 12 kids (8 under 5, 4 over 5 ). Did it happily for many years. It comes very easy to me.

Now I can only keep 4 infants or 6 birth-13, total. My bills went up, too. Not to mention all the mandatory supply lists that I now have to keep stocked, even if I have no kids of each age group present.

I am not being greedy, my monthly income needs stays the same with 12 or six kids. That choice was taken from me.
happymom 08:51 AM 08-31-2018
I am sorry you guys deal with this.
amberrose3dg 09:28 AM 08-31-2018
I am sorry you guys deal with this.
They think that if their child isn't there then it doesn't cost anything. I feel like a broken record explaining over and over again that I cannot fill their spot when they are off a day. I chose to not enroll the ones that ask a lot of questions during the interview process as I know I will have problems with them later.
Ariana 09:31 AM 08-31-2018

People like this just make me so angry. How can you be THIS lazy with zero shame about it??
Josiegirl 09:44 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
People like this just make me so angry. How can you be THIS lazy with zero shame about it??
Some people want it all through no output of their own. Then they bit@h it's not enough and costs too much. Entitlement.

I feel so lucky with the dcfs I have. I haven't heard any complaints about dc costs, none whatsoever, just that they don't want to lose me and their spot. Oh yes, I do remember a year ago when summer started, a dcm took a few days off, then I took an extra long weekend for a vacation. The dcks were 2 SA kids and dcm complained that she had to pay me for a week when the kids wouldn't even be here. I simply shot her a look as she was waiting for my response. They were not invited back this summer for lots of reasons.
Mad_Pistachio 10:00 AM 08-31-2018
her DH has told her it is time for her to find a job, and she is balking at the idea because "I don't need my husband telling me what I need to do."
as my husband would put it, "if I pay your bills, I set your priorities." as he does, and he does
CalCare 02:27 PM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
as my husband would put it, "if I pay your bills, I set your priorities." as he does, and he does
Oh hell no! Ha! If my husband said that, he sure as hell wouldn't be my husband much longer. We pay OUR bills with OUR money. Even when I wasn't working for an income, it was OUR money. We both contributed to the household in different ways and we both laid equal claim to his paycheck.
Kimskiddos 02:35 PM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Oh hell no! Ha! If my husband said that, he sure as hell wouldn't be my husband much longer. We pay OUR bills with OUR money. Even when I wasn't working for an income, it was OUR money. We both contributed to the household in different ways and we both laid equal claim to his paycheck.
Amen sister! It's OUR money and WE decide how and when it will be spent.
LysesKids 05:14 PM 08-31-2018
Hell no... I dated a guy that thought that way... he told me to quit my job, it was his job to provide; dude so not happening as I made more $$ and had kids (dad is deceased) to provide for.
Mad_Pistachio 05:32 PM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Hell no... I dated a guy that thought that way... he told me to quit my job, it was his job to provide; dude so not happening as I made more $$ and had kids (dad is deceased) to provide for.
I guess because I think the same way, we are together for this long and, yes, he is making more that I am, and it's not changing any time soon. it's just that his priorities are also similar to mine.
I actually once said that to a guy who tried to get me on a date and complained that I worked too much. and I was, like, if you pay my bills, you set my priorities.
CalCare 06:29 PM 08-31-2018
Honest i am so confused. You told the date you wanted him to be like your decision maker? Because he made more money. ..? Men make more money than women even when working in the same exact positions. So that means you would like all men to always be the decision makers, not only for themselves, but for all people...?
CalCare 06:33 PM 08-31-2018
Ok wait. I'm understanding better now. You do believe the person making more money should be the decision maker, so you insist on trying to make more money... Is that what you're saying? You don't resign yourself to not be the decision maker, but the only way for that to happen (in your belief) is for you to be the one who makes more money?..
Mad_Pistachio 06:46 PM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Ok wait. I'm understanding better now. You do believe the person making more money should be the decision maker, so you insist on trying to make more money... Is that what you're saying? You don't resign yourself to not be the decision maker, but the only way for that to happen (in your belief) is for you to be the one who makes more money?..
Am I being interrogated about the way I prefer to have my relationships to work?..
CalCare 08:40 PM 08-31-2018
No nevermind I was confused. Sorry.
Josiegirl 02:44 AM 09-01-2018
Am I being interrogated about the way I prefer to have my relationships to work?..
Mad, I say this in the most respectful way possible, I like your posts and respect your POV. I may not always agree with you(we are all different right?) but you have a vocal way about you.
CityGarden 11:00 AM 09-01-2018

I agree with Happy Mom. My solution has been to charge an annual tuition and give them an option to make monthly payments on the annual tuition.
LysesKids 12:24 PM 09-01-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I agree with Happy Mom. My solution has been to charge an annual tuition and give them an option to make monthly payments on the annual tuition.
And this is why I have a Monthly fee due on the 1st of Month lol... I budget for the year, don't accept discounts for time off (because it's already figured in) and some families still don't get it
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, tuition, weekly rates
Reply Up