Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hours
Unregistered 09:45 AM 09-04-2018
For those of you that have contracted hours, or non-specific hours, how do you word this in your contract/handbook?
I want to have a specific open time, but not a specific closing time. Though I do want to make sure parents stick to their particular pickup time.
Blackcat31 09:48 AM 09-04-2018
My contract says

"I do not have standard operating hours. I work on contracted hours and provide care on week days only.

Available hours are dependent on each individual family's needs.

Care will only be available for your family during your contracted times.

Care hours will not be before 7:00 AM nor after 5:00 PM without prior approval. Additional fees will apply."

MarinaVanessa 09:59 AM 09-04-2018
Mine says ...

I do not have standard operating hours. I work based on contracted schedules for each individual client. Hours for care will be discussed for each child and a schedule will be set which includes a fair amount of commuting time and this will become the child’s “contracted schedule”.

Care will be provided for your child only during your contracted schedule hours.

Your child must be signed out and out of the daycare no later than your contracted pick-up time.

Child care hours will not start before 7:00 AM nor end after 5:00 PM without prior approval. Additional fees will apply.

LysesKids 10:33 AM 09-04-2018
I offer full time child care Monday - Friday. My work hours will vary daily because they are based on the scheduled start and finish times of each family; that does not mean you can drop-off early or leave your child here after your contracted time just because another child is here... if you do, you will pay early drop or late pick up fees.
Unregistered 11:44 AM 09-04-2018
Do you guys charge different depending on the hours a family chooses, or is it a flat rate no matter what?
LysesKids 11:48 AM 09-04-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you guys charge different depending on the hours a family chooses, or is it a flat rate no matter what?
I only offer a Daily (drop-in) or FT rate... both are flat fee with 10 hr time limit daily; anything over is additional fees
CityGarden 12:53 PM 09-04-2018
I just listed the prices based on pick up times and filled in their pick up time and rate in the blank spaces in the contract. In example,

XYZ Program drop off is between 7:00am - 8:00am Monday - Friday, monthly tuition is based on contracted pick up time as follows:

_______ 3:00pm $800
_______ 4:00pm $850
_______ 5:00pm $900
_______ 5:30pm $1000

Please initial the schedule your child is being contracted for above.

This is just an example and not reflective of my actual rates/hours/language but an example of what I had. Ultimately, I did not like having multiple pick up times and opted for set drop off and pick up times so I did away with contracted pick up times.
MarinaVanessa 01:28 PM 09-04-2018
I charge a flat fee for using my FT rate but may use a tiered fee schedule if they pick up earlier.

So for example, if they want Mon-Fri 7am-5pm I charge $200/wk.
If they want Mon-Fri 7am-4pm I may charge $180 just to be able to have a client out earlier on a regular basis.
But I only charge less for an earlier pick up, I won't give a discount for a later drop off.
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 09-04-2018
I base all rates off a basic flat rate and then add to it according to whether the family needs 3, 4 or 5 days per week and if they pick up after 3:00

For example:

Family A
4 days per week pick up at 4:00
Pays $150

Family B
4 days per week pick up at 3:00
Pays $130

Those aren't my actual rates just what I used to show the difference in what some would think are two similar family's schedules.
Unregistered 08:12 AM 09-05-2018
Can you providers who have done/do contract hours share your experiences with late pick ups? Do you find that those who choose the less hours contract are able to get their child within those, say, eight hours - or- do you find they end up running late and get the less hours option just because they are trying to save money (but end up being late a lot).
Basically I’m trying to foresee any contract drawbacks ?
Blackcat31 08:22 AM 09-05-2018
Can you providers who have done/do contract hours share your experiences with late pick ups? Do you find that those who choose the less hours contract are able to get their child within those, say, eight hours - or- do you find they end up running late and get the less hours option just because they are trying to save money (but end up being late a lot).
Personally for me, since moving to contracted hours, I have a lot less issues with late pick ups.

Parents thinking I am simply here from X am TO X pm caused alot of parents to think they can just show up as they pleased since I am here anyways....

Now that each family has specific hours, they know those are the ONLY hours they can use without additional fees.

So for me, contracted hours basically eliminated sporadic, chaotic and random pick up times.
Snowmom 09:10 AM 09-05-2018
It doesn't happen very often. I charge $1 per minute after their contracted pick up time but before 5:15pm. $2 per minute after 5:15.
When someone is late, it's usually a minute or two and they DO pay the fee.

A few years back when I first implemented the switch to contracted times, I did have one family who was repeatedly late (with the earliest/cheapest) rate. She was charged each and every time she was late.
You have to decide: do you want the extra few dollars a day or the time.
If you want the time, implement a 3 strikes you're out rule or make the late fee steep enough to really hurt- like 1 minute late= an automatic $25 late fee PLUS $1 per minute.
MarinaVanessa 01:29 PM 09-05-2018
Moving to scheduled contracts minimized my late pick ups. They understood better than I am charging them for the times they need, if they're late I charge a late fee, if they are constantly late then I change their contracted schedule and charge them more on a regular basis just they won't be late, if they don't want to agree to the new schedule and higher fee then I terminate for constant lateness.

30 minutes late is excessively late to me and 3 of those during their entire time with me and they are out.

Me following through and enforcing my policies is the single most important thing I do to keep issues at a minimum.
Unregistered 04:05 PM 09-05-2018
Thank you! I think I’m going with contracted. Sounds best. The time is definitely preferable to me... but if a parent needs a longer time frame I’m willing to accommodate but with extra pay. I feel like parents who only use eight hours per day kinda deserve a break in child care expense anyway .
Tags:contracted hours, contracted hours vs open hours, hourly rates, hours
Reply Up