Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Charge? Or not?
LeslieG 05:32 AM 09-25-2018
Yesterday I had a daycare parent arrive 50 minutes late to pick up dcb because his car broke down. We couldn't get a hold of him because his phone died, so we didn't know what was going on. Would you still charge a late fee? I kind of feel bad doing so since it really wasn't his fault.
Cat Herder 06:04 AM 09-25-2018
It was his fault. Gas stations have phones, wreckers have phones, pharmacies have phones, law enforcement officers have phones......

Adults with children have an expectation, responsibility, of keeping their phone charged and having back-up care/transportation for their children. This is a learning opportunity.

BTW, I don't buy the story. At all. Was the car seat in the trunk?
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 09-25-2018
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
daycare parent arrive 50 minutes late to pick up dcb
We couldn't get a hold of him

YOU feel bad?
LeslieG 07:02 AM 09-25-2018
Thank you, ladies! I totally do believe him that his car broke down, but yes, I do still need to charge him.
Jupadia 08:11 AM 09-25-2018
I would charge and they would be charged at the at my late no call rate of 1 dollar per min (if parents notify me they pay 10 per 30mins of care outside hour) parents would also receive a warning that if it happens again I may terminate. Second last thing I want to do is work extra time. Last thing I want to do is try to track down parents during that time.

Look at this way say it's your coworker late for work because their car broke down, you still get paid extra for staying late past your normal hours. Just cause it's your business dose not mean you should not also receive extra pay for extra time.
boy_mom 08:17 AM 09-25-2018
Part of responsible parenting is having your phone charged and on! I would be sooo mad if a parent was late and did not have a plan in place to contact me!

I would not feel bad about charging at all!
DaveA 08:23 AM 09-25-2018
In my contract I give families 1 late pickup without charging fee after 6 months attendance at my discretion. 50 minutes with no contract would make me absolutely charge them.
amberrose3dg 08:45 AM 09-25-2018
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
Yesterday I had a daycare parent arrive 50 minutes late to pick up dcb because his car broke down. We couldn't get a hold of him because his phone died, so we didn't know what was going on. Would you still charge a late fee? I kind of feel bad doing so since it really wasn't his fault.
Just curious how did he pick up? how did he get help if his phone was dead. I am sorry but i would still charge and be mad he had no contact. 30 minutes no call no show here is abandonment and you could call the police.
LeslieG 01:08 PM 09-25-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Just curious how did he pick up? how did he get help if his phone was dead. I am sorry but i would still charge and be mad he had no contact. 30 minutes no call no show here is abandonment and you could call the police.
His wife picked up. She was at a doctor appt when I called and was very concerned at why his phone was going straight to voicemail. When she arrived she was almost in tears and very worried because she still hadn't heard from him. She texted when she got home and found out what was going on.

He was on his way to pick up dcb when his car broke down and his phone died. He was able to walk to his parents house. Once gre got there he called his wife.

I do believe that truly is what happened. Though, I will still be charging them a late fee.
CityGarden 01:47 PM 09-25-2018
Yes you need to charge the late fee. You can feel sorry DCD had an accident but please don't feel sorry for following your policies and the contract they signed. Had a child been left that long with me with no parent communication they would be picking their child up from the police station. Communication goes a long way with me....

It was DCD's fault to not have his phone charged. The most significant reason to have a cell phone is for emergencies on the go.... I feel this reason is lost with how much smart phones can do now. Also in this age of Uber/Lyft (again requiring a cell phone) had his phone been charged he could have called his wife (or someone) to pick up the child or taken an Uber/Lyft to do it.

Summer 2017 I was rear ended on my way to pick up my dd from summer camp.... my car was totaled, it was such a significant accident that I spent hours in urgent care and the car was totaled --- my first phone call was to arrange alternate pick up for my dd and she was picked up on time. Yes it sucked that I was in an accident but that was not the summer camps responsibility or burden.
Unregistered 06:19 PM 09-25-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Yes you need to charge the late fee. You can feel sorry DCD had an accident but please don't feel sorry for following your policies and the contract they signed. Had a child been left that long with me with no parent communication they would be picking their child up from the police station. Communication goes a long way with me....

It was DCD's fault to not have his phone charged. The most significant reason to have a cell phone is for emergencies on the go.... I feel this reason is lost with how much smart phones can do now. Also in this age of Uber/Lyft (again requiring a cell phone) had his phone been charged he could have called his wife (or someone) to pick up the child or taken an Uber/Lyft to do it.

Summer 2017 I was rear ended on my way to pick up my dd from summer camp.... my car was totaled, it was such a significant accident that I spent hours in urgent care and the car was totaled --- my first phone call was to arrange alternate pick up for my dd and she was picked up on time. Yes it sucked that I was in an accident but that was not the summer camps responsibility or burden.
Not only should they be glad for that, I would term. When situations like this happen and I can't get the emergency contact to come, I term. A lot of parents think it's just a space to write any number. Nope. It's for your child's safety.
CityGarden 10:32 PM 09-25-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Not only should they be glad for that, I would term. When situations like this happen and I can't get the emergency contact to come, I term. A lot of parents think it's just a space to write any number. Nope. It's for your child's safety.
I would not term in this case but I do require three phone numbers (all local) to pick up children for emergency/illness, etc.
Snowmom 07:27 AM 09-26-2018

I just saw the tag on this post... "grow the duck up".

Made my day.
Blackcat31 08:14 AM 09-26-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

I just saw the tag on this post... "grow the duck up".

Made my day.
.....sometimes the tags are more entertaining than anything else!
Tags:ducking responsibility, enabling parents, grow the duck up, learned helplessness, life choices, parenting, responsibility
Reply Up