Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tired of Missing Out
Ac114 07:51 AM 10-26-2018
So my sons school has a mother/son dance next Friday from 6-8. I close at 5:30. I was just invited to go to dinner beforehand with a few other moms and their sons before the dance. I want to go but I will have to close early. I am already closing early on Wednesday for Halloween for the evenings festivities. (Only closing 30 minutes early)

I feel like I can’t close early 2 days in the same week or my parents will be upset but I’m also tired of not being able to do this kind of stuff with my kids because of daycare. Is it unreasonable to send a notice out today that I will also be closing early on Friday as well? I would probably only close 30 minutes early again and just arrive a little late to dinner.
Unregistered 08:04 AM 10-26-2018
I would do it! I think you will regret it if you don't.
I struggle with the same thing. I miss out on a lot of our older son's school functions. I know I could close whenever I want to, but I feel guilty and don't want to deal with any complaining or "looks" from any of the parents. BUT...they should also understand that I have a family. There are certain things that I refuse to miss out on. I personally feel like it's just apart of the home daycare world. If someone wants guaranteed 5 day a week care for whatever hours they need, then they can pay the premium prices at a center.
If it makes you feel any better, I've had to close for the whole day last minute. It happens.
DaveA 08:36 AM 10-26-2018
Close for an hour and go. Enjoy and have fun.
happymom 08:40 AM 10-26-2018
Yes, you CAN close early!
Most parents want a good reason to leave work early on Halloween anyway
hwichlaz 09:11 AM 10-26-2018
I think it's too short of notice. Personally, it'd violate my contract. Unfortunately, this is the life of a working parent.
happymom 09:25 AM 10-26-2018
I'd feel it out starting with your parents who pick up last. If you are able to get out the door in time! I think most parents would be really understanding
Annalee 09:46 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
So my sons school has a mother/son dance next Friday from 6-8. I close at 5:30. I was just invited to go to dinner beforehand with a few other moms and their sons before the dance. I want to go but I will have to close early. I am already closing early on Wednesday for Halloween for the evenings festivities. (Only closing 30 minutes early)

I feel like I can’t close early 2 days in the same week or my parents will be upset but I’m also tired of not being able to do this kind of stuff with my kids because of daycare. Is it unreasonable to send a notice out today that I will also be closing early on Friday as well? I would probably only close 30 minutes early again and just arrive a little late to dinner.
Things like you posted is exactly why I began closing earlier and taking more days off and allotting "family days".
I got tired of "asking" because you always have that one inconsiderate parent that will make things difficult.

I think I have posted a number of times on here about my time off and closing at 4:30 and getting paid 52 weeks a year. when my mentor helped me with this, I was terrified but many moons later, I am so THANKFUL! After all, just like she said, I only need 12 families that will abide by my wishes and if they truly want my services, they will make it work.
Snowmom 09:56 AM 10-26-2018
If it felt important to me, I'd close early!

Part of the benefits to in home daycare is that we ALL put emphasis on home/family life.
Part of the drawback to in home daycare is that we ALL have families.

Seriously, go and enjoy life. I'm sure you are more than reliable. Any client who thinks there's never going to be last minute plans for their provider or that they shouldn't take time off (or without months upon months of notice)... needs to chose center care and pay the premium for it.
Jupadia 11:31 AM 10-26-2018
For me for my parents it would be to short of notice and violate my contract with them. I would try talking to them to see if they could arrange pickup, letting them know I've had something come up but would not just close. I've also fired myself brought in backup care for things like this.
knoxmomof2 12:36 PM 10-26-2018
I give my families at least a months' notice for any changes in my hours. I wouldn't do it. Then again, I'm a license exempt provider (keep less than 5) and I had no prior experience in child care. This is only my 6th year and I am just now getting to the point where I can charge full time rate and get 5 paid holidays, so... I'm just enjoying the perks I can get. I have great families, get paid in advance. It's not a bad life.

I also homeschool my children, so I don't miss out on too much in that way (except for all of the homeschool outings, but my kids do evening extracurriculars). I've just learned that we as parents will have to sacrifice somewhere. It's not such a bad thing for me to sacrifice certain things in exchange for getting to eat lunch with my teens and laugh over memes- or as we call it "social media studies" hahaha!

You could always just feel your parents out and see if it would be a hassle. The one time I have tried to, I just said "I have this opportunity, but it's last minute and it would require me to close early and I don't want to do that if it's going to throw a wrench in things for you guys."
amberrose3dg 12:57 PM 10-26-2018

I'd talk to them and find out if they can swing it. Most of my kids with me until close dont even need to be. They just choose to pick up then.
Ac114 06:03 AM 10-27-2018
I did find a solution with one of the other parents that won’t require me to close early. She is going to pick up my son and head over to the restaurant and order for us so once my last child gets picked up I just have to head out the door. We’ll probably be slightly late for the dance but it’s not a huge deal. I’m glad I have a community of other providers who understand the struggles of just being a provider. I appreciate you all!
Rockgirl 06:24 AM 10-27-2018
I did find a solution with one of the other parents that won’t require me to close early. She is going to pick up my son and head over to the restaurant and order for us so once my last child gets picked up I just have to head out the door. We’ll probably be slightly late for the dance but it’s not a huge deal. I’m glad I have a community of other providers who understand the struggles of just being a provider. I appreciate you all!
Sounds like a good solution!
lovemykidstoo 11:33 AM 10-27-2018
So glad you found a solution, but really, do what is best for you and your family next time. I think closing early for Halloween doesn't really count. Probably most will come early anyway and it's safer to pick up early instead of out driving with the kids running around. I think if you treat your families with respect and have a give/take relationship with them, then they won't give you a problem. That's why when they ask something special of me, I do all I can do make it happen. Then when I need something special, they do the same. They need to switch a day, I do it. Need to come earlier than their typical time? I do it. I need to leave 30 minutes early a week in advance, I get no problem for it. I also do not ask. I just say, I really hate to do this, but I will need to close 30 minutes early next Friday. I am so sorry if this causes you any inconvenience. Honestly, I've only had a problem 1 time. It was from the mother of the pain in the butt that I just got rid of. She gave me crap about leaving early for my sons track meet. He was a senior. I mean she gave me big crap. I lost it and got somewhat loud saying that this was his senior year and that I was already missing some of his meets and that I would NOT miss this one. She didn't give me crap after that haha
LysesKids 04:24 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
I give my families at least a months' notice for any changes in my hours. I wouldn't do it. Then again, I'm a license exempt provider (keep less than 5) and I had no prior experience in child care. This is only my 6th year and I am just now getting to the point where I can charge full time rate and get 5 paid holidays, so... I'm just enjoying the perks I can get. I have great families, get paid in advance. It's not a bad life.

I also homeschool my children, so I don't miss out on too much in that way (except for all of the homeschool outings, but my kids do evening extracurriculars). I've just learned that we as parents will have to sacrifice somewhere. It's not such a bad thing for me to sacrifice certain things in exchange for getting to eat lunch with my teens and laugh over memes- or as we call it "social media studies" hahaha!

You could always just feel your parents out and see if it would be a hassle. The one time I have tried to, I just said "I have this opportunity, but it's last minute and it would require me to close early and I don't want to do that if it's going to throw a wrench in things for you guys."
I regret not closing early on some days when it came to something my child wanted or needed; I would gladly switch the hurt feelings my dd suffered for not closing, to moments she would cherish. Now she won't even talk to me because of some of the hurt she thinks I caused - think wisely M*** because homeschooling is more than doing daycare during hrs you think... i wish I could redo years of screw ups and I homeschooled too... it's not all about the evening stuff; sometimes you need daytime opportunities
CityGarden 12:49 PM 10-29-2018
I find parents count on childcare to be reliable (or as reliable as possible), two early closures in the same week and one with little to no notice (without being an emergency) seems unprofessional.

In this case I would:

1) Tell all DCPS I have an engagement and need to leave right upon closing (because I would hate that to be the one day they are late).

2) I would say thanks for the dinner invitation and say you would love to swing by for dessert or decline dinner and offer them all dessert at your place (or a local ice cream shop) after the dance.

I will say I did not like missing out on time with my dd when she was out of school in the afternoon so I reduced my hours and now close at 3:00pm. I know some on here who still work full days but only 4-day weeks. I still miss out on activities during the school day.... but I make a lot more than I miss. You could also see about an assistant or sub... I know those are long term solutions but something to think about as this will happen again.
Tags:closing early, time off
Reply Up