Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>UGH Teething....Or Is It?
lovemykidstoo 07:50 AM 12-03-2018
I have written about this nearly 7 month old dcb before. He comes 3 days a week and is just so bad. He cries/screams and I mean screams nearly 3/4 of the day. If I'm holding him he's pretty much fine. Talked to mom and dad and they say that he doesn't do that at home, they swear he doesn't get held all day etc. Then they say he's teething. I said, have you thought of Tylenol? They were hesitant. I texted mom last week and said he had been crying all morning. She texts me back and says have you tried a bottle. Oh geez, I didn't think of that duh! Yea, mom I tried that. I asked her if she has given him Tylenol. Mom says no but if you have some give it to him. I don't have meds for kids. Not my job. So this morning comes. She said he did good the last 2 nights at home and that she had given him Tylenol before bed. I said great did you send him some today? She acted dumb founded. I said if you're giving him some at home because he's in pain, then he needs it here to. He doesn't go out of pain because he's here. ugh! So of course the moment she leaves, he starts screaming. Of course when I hold him he stops. He's something else.
storybookending 08:01 AM 12-03-2018
Are his days in care consecutive and consistant or is it more of a MWF deal or different each week? That could be part of the problem but honestly sounds more to me like the parents are probably lying about the child not being held all the time.
lovemykidstoo 08:05 AM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Are his days in care consecutive and consistant or is it more of a MWF deal or different each week? That could be part of the problem but honestly sounds more to me like the parents are probably lying about the child not being held all the time.
He's Monday, Tuesday, Friday. He's 100% fine if I'm holding him. I showed his dad the "magic" one time. I sat on the floor at pickup and laid him down, he screamed. I picked him up he stopped. I did that 3 times. Dad says I swear we don't hold him alot at home. He's 7 months old and can barely sit up on the floor without help. He just got out of the swing at home. He spent the majority of his day in that. Also slept in the swing at home at night.
LittleExplorers 11:43 AM 12-03-2018
If he stops when held, I would have a hard time believing it was teething, but that's just me. I guess if you medicate you could always try one dose and see if anything changes. I do not medicate other than those from a doctor though.
Cat Herder 11:52 AM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
If he stops when held, I would have a hard time believing it was teething, but that's just me. I guess if you medicate you could always try one dose and see if anything changes. I do not medicate other than those from a doctor though.
I also would not allow a child who has been given fever-reducing medications to attend. I'd be very careful with this scenario. I can see it going bad pretty quick. Also, Tylenol is a pretty dangerous drug over time and in high dose pediatric forms. I would try to limit its use as much as possible. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/infant-s-t...e-effects.html It is fantastic for high fevers, but cryptic teething and growing pain, I'd pass. Frozen teether, washcloth or banana in a mesh feeder work much better.

It really seems more of a confinement equipment or lack of self-soothing skills issue. I have one giving me a had time right now, too. Hang in there.
MarinaVanessa 12:23 PM 12-03-2018
If he's only crying when he's not being picked up then I doubt it's teething.

And I'd be super hesitant to suggest to the parents to give tylenol. Tylenol and other pain relievers are only to be given when a child is in a lot of pain especially when they're under two. Teething doesn't even qualify for severe pain that would require a pain reliever. When given routinely everyday for teething it can cause more issues than solve them.

About 10 years ago there was a warning about fever reducers like Tylenol causing asthma if used routinely or often. Something about the acetominophen. I'd HIGHLY recommend against giving acetomenophen to any child under 5 unless they have a fever of 101 or higher and using something else for pain relief if there is no fever rather than give them acetomenophen.

It can also lead to liver and kidney failure, and poisoning of the heart
CityGarden 12:42 PM 12-03-2018
For teething...
I like Hyland's Teething Tablets and suggest them to parents. I also suggest Amber Teething Necklaces for at home use.

That said while the infant may or may not be teething the issues you are describing do not sound related to teething. Infant care is in such high demand in my area that I don't know any providers who accept them less than full time / 5-days a week. Having the infant their full time gives you a better opportunity to build a successful rhythm that works for both you "the provider" and "the infant".... Most infant care providers in my area are in such high demand they only accept full time infants.

I wanted to add the my own daughter had a high need for touch.... and my initial AP style parenting only added to it so we would have been a terrible daycare family. Some children/families are high maintenance an would do best with a nanny. This is not a bad thing just a reality.
Unregistered 12:57 PM 12-03-2018
This is not a teething issue. This is just a baby not dealing with daycare real well issue. If you can hang in there, he will most likely get better and hopefully not cry all the time. But, it may take a lot of time and patience.
Ariana 01:05 PM 12-03-2018
Agree that this is mot teething but just a child who is used to a specific routine at home and then has issues adjusting. Part time kids have a really hard time adjusting so it may take a while. I would simply let him cry as much as you can stand and offer him a hug, a soother, his lovey or anything else that might comfort him. Sitting on the floor next to him might help as well. Seperation anxiety with caregivers is very real. Every baby I have ever started has been like this until they become better attached to me. They are unsure so they want to be close. Being held at home doesn’t help because they are not learning that they are ok away from their caregiver.

Does he cry in a exersaucer or jumperoo if you have those things? Entertaining him will help for sure. This is not teething!
Mom2Two 02:25 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
If he's only crying when he's not being picked up then I doubt it's teething.

And I'd be super hesitant to suggest to the parents to give tylenol. Tylenol and other pain relievers are only to be given when a child is in a lot of pain especially when they're under two. Teething doesn't even qualify for severe pain that would require a pain reliever. When given routinely everyday for teething it can cause more issues than solve them.

About 10 years ago there was a warning about fever reducers like Tylenol causing asthma if used routinely or often. Something about the acetominophen. I'd HIGHLY recommend against giving acetomenophen to any child under 5 unless they have a fever of 101 or higher and using something else for pain relief if there is no fever rather than give them acetomenophen.

It can also lead to liver and kidney failure, and poisoning of the heart

284878 07:42 PM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
For teething...
I like Hyland's Teething Tablets and suggest them to parents. I also suggest Amber Teething Necklaces for at home use.
Hyland Teething Tablets have been discounted.
Josiegirl 02:30 AM 12-04-2018
In the baby swing most of the time and slept in it at night too? There's your issue right there. Honestly? If it were me, I'd give the parents an ultimatum of working on safe sleep and giving them 2 weeks to show signs of improvement. Sure, it's going to be tough. And loud for them and you. BUT they are the ones who have set this poor baby up for failure.
I had a dcm who would nurse her baby to sleep every single time, course when mama wasn't there and he'd wake up, she'd magically reappear to put him to sleep in that manner. No matter if it was 15 minutes ago or an hour. If that didn't work, she'd put him in the bouncer for naps/sleeping at night. Needless to say he could not fall asleep by himself. It took 5 weeks of him crying the whole nap time through and the parents finally letting him cry a bit at night, before he learned to do it on his own. And he was, I want to say, almost a year by then. Now, he's the first 1 out like a light, with no crying whatsoever.

The parents have GOT to work with you on this. Honestly. Mark your calendar and tell them if he doesn't change, you'll have to let him go. It affects everyone. Constantly crying babies creates so much stress and it's just not feasible in a home dc atmosphere.
Jupadia 05:39 AM 12-04-2018
I would have to agree about the swing at home being the problem. My own guy did not sit up unless he was propped up till 8 months and then pulled himself into sitting position. (The swing in this case may have helped delayed his sitting, but my guy just sat late)
lovemykidstoo 06:07 AM 12-04-2018
You ladies are all right. I totally agree that it is NOT teething. I mentioned the tylenol just to see if this was something they did since they kept saying that his teething was SO bad. Complete BS. I had a big talk with dad last night and told him that he slept 5 hours yesterday morning. Then was really good. I asked him how his sleep was the night before. Dad said oh he's up every 2 hours. I said routinely? He said yes. I said does he eat each time? yup. I said John, that's his problem!!! He's exhausted. There is no way that that child needs to get up every 2 hours to eat at 7 months old. He's eating baby food, cereal and formula. He said he just doesn't wake up cooing, he screams. I said yea I'm familiar. So mom comes today and I asked her how he slept last night Oh great, he slept from 9 to 4 and then got up and went right back down. I said, oh really? John said that he got up every 2 hours the night before. She said Oh maybe he did and I didn't hear it. They are conflicting stories. WTH, just be honest so I know what I'm dealing with. She said he just ate about an hour ago, pooped, etc. so he shoudl be good. She's gone a half an hour he's screaming. I give him a bottle and he went immediately to sleep. So if he truly slept that much, why would he go right down to bed? I try putting him in the exersaucer, on the floor, sitting up, etc. Not happy. She wants to bring his walker over. She said he likes to walk all over with that at home. I'm thinking no. Then he can run into other kids, my stuff, down the hall etc.

I totally agree, this child does not have simple life skills, such as sleeping in a bed, not getting what you need the instant you scream, has zero idea how to self sooth. Who in their right mind lets him sleep in a swing or carseat? Dad said last night that they just really go with what he does because it makes him happy. So if he's as good as they say (lie), then why do they need to do all of those things? I call BS.
dreamer 07:27 AM 12-04-2018
Now you know that the mom is a liar 🙃
As well... how is it that the parents couldn’t piece together that the baby is tired from waking up all night??? Really. It’s so obvious...
lovemykidstoo 08:27 AM 12-04-2018
Originally Posted by dreamer:
Now you know that the mom is a liar 🙃
As well... how is it that the parents couldn’t piece together that the baby is tired from waking up all night??? Really. It’s so obvious...

Oh he's an angel at home. Yea right. He's been sleeping since 8:30. It's now 11:30. No way he slept all night.
lovemykidstoo 10:55 AM 12-04-2018
I texted mom and told her that he was in a great mood and that he slept 4 hours this morning. She said I bet you were surprised. I said yes especially since you said he had a good night. She said oh boy, I hope he sleeps tonight. I cracked up to myself. I'm thinking I have to deal with him screaming constantly and he finally sleeps and you're worried about your night. too funny. He just fell asleep again fter being up an hour and a half. oops lol I don't wake up sleeping infants. Thankfully, I don't have him tomorrow.
Tags:confinement equipment, teething
Reply Up