Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Kids Making for Parent Gifts?
lovemykidstoo 11:06 AM 12-11-2018
I always dislike this time of year when I have to come up with an idea for a christmas gift for the kids to make for their parents. I know I don't have to do it, but I do know the parents appreciate it. I just run out of ideas. I have from 8 months up to 4 1/2 years old and the majority being 2 to 3. Help!
Indoorvoice 11:16 AM 12-11-2018
I have simplified this for myself by doing the same thing every year. We download templates from makit.com and I let the kids decorate a plate template and then I just upload them on my computer and order the plates. The company takes my downloads and turns each template into a plate that they ship for me. It's $9 a plate. We then make some easy goodies together and fill up the plates. The parents love seeing the progression of their artwork from year to year and it is so easy. You probably still have time to get them done before Christmas if you do it within the next couple days.
sharlan 11:17 AM 12-11-2018
Nothing.

Last week we made salt dough ornaments. One was a green tree with fingerprint lights. The other was a green tree covered in green glitter.

Parent #1 - oh these are cute.

Parent #2 - what are they?
Indoorvoice 11:18 AM 12-11-2018
For the babies who can't decorate the templates themselves, I just trace their handprints and add a few polka dots. Voila.
littlefriends 11:20 AM 12-11-2018
I’m actually not doing parent gifts this year. Almost all of my parents are awful and I just don’t see the point in doing it this year. I’ve been struggling to get mine to even listen to basic rules and nearly every day have to turn someone away at the door for something or remind them they can’t do something, remind them payment is due, or fuss at their little even tho they’re standing right there witnessing them act horrible. My party is even not getting a sign up sheet after several of them signing up to bring/do things for our Halloween party and then “forgetting”. I am planning and buying/doing everything for our Christmas party myself and won’t be doing a gift exchange because last year’s gift exchange I had several parents “forget” and ended up having to forage through my own kid’s stuff I’d gotten for their stocking stuffers so that those dc littles wouldn’t get left out when it was time to open presents.
Meeko 12:25 PM 12-11-2018
Nothing.

I have the kids help me bake (last year was apple bread) and each family got a loaf.

I gave up on the kids making gifts because the parents made it miserable.

"Can you make one for (ex-husband) too? He'll throw a fit if I get something and he doesn't."

"Oh good! Now we don't have to buy anything for Mommy! (Father about ex wife)"

"Umm...the dog ate the gift yesterday. Can you make another one with Snowflake?"

"If I buy you the supplies, will you make 17 more of them for my extended family's kids...?"

I've heard it all over the years.

So now it's baked goods and a smile. Done.
CalCare 12:50 PM 12-11-2018
Each child is planting a marigold in a pot to take home. It can be a parent gift or not if families are divorced, I send it home with the household I like better.... Lol jk. I luckily don't have any divorced ones. 😄🤗
LittleExplorers 01:36 PM 12-11-2018
I cut a tree out of cardstock and had the kids paint it. For infants, it went in a Ziploc with the paint. I will laminate and add a ribbon to make it an ornament.

I also did a reindeer footprint/handling combo on canvas. I have things like this from my kiddos and cherish them. I have great families and love Christmas.
Aussiedaycare 01:39 PM 12-11-2018
We are making 'Christmas Balls', four different versions of rumless rum balls. Children will mix ingredients, roll into balls, put each one into a Christmas theme patty case and then put into a small box that they have already decorated. Each family will get about 20 balls each that way if they want to share they can. I have exceptional parents so we are also making some homemade dog treats that the children will cut out with Christmas themed cookie cutters and put in a little cellophane bag I bought from the $1 store. All families have dogs and all my families buy a small Christmas gift for my dogs and participate in the pound dog donation bin I have running from home so I thought that tied in nicely yet was fun and relatively easy for the children to do.
lovemykidstoo 02:03 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I cut a tree out of cardstock and had the kids paint it. For infants, it went in a Ziploc with the paint. I will laminate and add a ribbon to make it an ornament.

I also did a reindeer footprint/handling combo on canvas. I have things like this from my kiddos and cherish them. I have great families and love Christmas.
Do you happen to have a pic of the reindeer canvas? What size canvas and is it the footprint and then the hands for antlers?
BrynleeJean 02:19 PM 12-11-2018
I've only got one infant so far
so we will be doing a photo ornament with tinsel stuffed in the back and maybe a mistletoe feet card with a Bible verse in it.
Blackcat31 02:30 PM 12-11-2018
Nothing.

Christmas is one of those holidays I prefer to leave to families to celebrate their own way.

Other than having the daycare kids collect for a designated charity each year and having a little holiday party before my 12 day vacation we don't do anything out of the norm.

Our "party" is usually just a day of baking and eating.
Josiegirl 02:58 PM 12-11-2018
The dcks painted jars and then painted their hand prints to make Santas on the jars. I'm going to spray them with clear sealer one of these nights and they'll fill the jars with Peanut Butter Chocolate Christmas Bark. They also made cards, using their finger prints to make little reindeer, a sleigh and Santa, then they either drew what they wanted inside or painted their hands and we made snowmen out of them. Came out really cute! The 6 mo...I painted his feet today on a canvas, one was white(was going to make it into a snowman but it turned into a 3 footed print Lol), 1 in green to turn into a Christmas tree and the other black to turn into a penguin. But because of the 3 footed snowman we're doing a do-over tomorrow. And I thought foot prints would be so much easier than hand prints for an infant. I love the zip-loc bag idea and might do that with him too!
I've got some pumpkin breads in the freezer and will be making apple breads through the rest of this week, for parents.
I bought the dcks all gifts but might just send them home to be unwrapped with parents; we're not going to have much time at a party to do much at all. We'll have treats and maybe decorate graham cracker houses OR cone trees. The trees sound so much easier this year. I'm losing steam.
e.j. 04:37 PM 12-11-2018
I bought some small, hanging chalkboard signs at Walmart. I've added the kids' footprints with white paint. Now that they're dry, I have to add snowman features to the footprints and then wording that says, "As long as you love me so...." (on the top) and "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." (below the "snowmen")
storybookending 06:31 PM 12-11-2018
Needavaycay where you at girl? Second year in a row I’ve stolen her ideas from the previous year.

Let me preface this by saying that I have a wonderful group of parents that are all so appreciative and respectful of me and my business so I enjoy doing things like this for the holidays.

This year we made these with the attached poem explaining that each snowman is the height of each individual child.
Attached: 33DD163C-7146-45B7-BB9F-1BE04F102DF7.jpeg (288.7 KB) CC28EB49-8030-42AB-9CB6-8122C5D368FA.jpeg (2.72 MB) 
Blackcat31 06:36 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
needavaycay where you at girl? Second year in a row i’ve stolen her ideas from the previous year.

Let me preface this by saying that i have a wonderful group of parents that are all so appreciative and respectful of me and my business so i enjoy doing things like this for the holidays.

This year we made these with the attached poem explaining that each snowman is the height of each individual child.
absolutely adorable!!
lovemykidstoo 07:28 PM 12-11-2018
Needavaycay where you at girl? Second year in a row I’ve stolen her ideas from the previous year.

Let me preface this by saying that I have a wonderful group of parents that are all so appreciative and respectful of me and my business so I enjoy doing things like this for the holidays.

OMG I love those!!!!
Josiegirl 01:52 AM 12-12-2018

Keeping in my idea list for next year!
DaveA 04:27 AM 12-12-2018
Skipping it this year. Doubt I'll have anyone on Christmas Eve and what we usually make (cookies, breads, candies)probably won't keep well if I make it the Friday before.
amberrose3dg 05:01 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
I’m actually not doing parent gifts this year. Almost all of my parents are awful and I just don’t see the point in doing it this year. I’ve been struggling to get mine to even listen to basic rules and nearly every day have to turn someone away at the door for something or remind them they can’t do something, remind them payment is due, or fuss at their little even tho they’re standing right there witnessing them act horrible. My party is even not getting a sign up sheet after several of them signing up to bring/do things for our Halloween party and then “forgetting”. I am planning and buying/doing everything for our Christmas party myself and won’t be doing a gift exchange because last year’s gift exchange I had several parents “forget” and ended up having to forage through my own kid’s stuff I’d gotten for their stocking stuffers so that those dc littles wouldn’t get left out when it was time to open presents.
That's awful and I know how you feel.
I'm having a party for my kiddos and bought them all small gifts. That's it. I've done crafts at each holiday and not appreciated. I spent a lot of money on stuff for mothers day for moms. Out of 12 families I got one thank you or any type of acknowledgement.
amberrose3dg 05:02 AM 12-12-2018

I love it!
Unregistered 05:49 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
That's awful and I know how you feel.
I'm having a party for my kiddos and bought them all small gifts. That's it. I've done crafts at each holiday and not appreciated. I spent a lot of money on stuff for mothers day for moms. Out of 12 families I got one thank you or any type of acknowledgement.
This!!!!!! Every year!!! This year Kids make and frost 6 cut outs..one craft ornament...I got 80% off last year....and get popcorn and reindeer hot cocoa. I didn't do my free sat either. Most of my parents are daycare dumpers....and NEVER want to spend time with their own kids.
lovemykidstoo 05:54 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This!!!!!! Every year!!! This year Kids make and frost 6 cut outs..one craft ornament...I got 80% off last year....and get popcorn and reindeer hot cocoa. I didn't do my free sat either. Most of my parents are daycare dumpers....and NEVER want to spend time with their own kids.
You know I feel like that too. We did super cute snowmen last year made out of clay pots. The kids worked hours on them. I had I think 2 out of 8 parents say anything about them. I don't mean to sound terrible and I do not expect anything from the daycare parents, but when I do little gifts for each childs birthday and make it a special day for them, make gifts for the parents with them for mothers day, fathers day, christmas etc, I had 1 mom not even say Merry Christmas to me last year. Others gave me gifts which is nice because it makes you feel appreciated. It's not about cost either. One mom wears Paparazzi jewelry where everything is $5. I notice her jewelry all the time and it's really pretty. She got me a necklace and earring set that cost $5 and I love it. It's about the thought that counts.
NeedaVaca 09:43 AM 12-12-2018

Ha ha! Thanks!! I actually love making the Christmas gifts but it's getting harder lately because I won't duplicate and I have so many returning kids or younger siblings now!! Here is what I'm making this year. Burlap canvas from Hobby Lobby with coupons, buttons from here and there. Easy and the kids do it themselves but I put the glue down for them to follow I add the bow myself too.
Attached: IMG_7508.JPG (150.5 KB) 
e.j. 11:23 AM 12-12-2018

I love it! I wish I had seen this before I decided to do the gift I'm doing. I'll have to remember this one for next year.
lovemykidstoo 11:44 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Ha ha! Thanks!! I actually love making the Christmas gifts but it's getting harder lately because I won't duplicate and I have so many returning kids or younger siblings now!! Here is what I'm making this year. Burlap canvas from Hobby Lobby with coupons, buttons from here and there. Easy and the kids do it themselves but I put the glue down for them to follow I add the bow myself too.
Love this wreath! I'm saving that for next year
Unregistered 11:55 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Nothing.

I have the kids help me bake (last year was apple bread) and each family got a loaf.

I gave up on the kids making gifts because the parents made it miserable.

"Can you make one for (ex-husband) too? He'll throw a fit if I get something and he doesn't."

"Oh good! Now we don't have to buy anything for Mommy! (Father about ex wife)"

"Umm...the dog ate the gift yesterday. Can you make another one with Snowflake?"

"If I buy you the supplies, will you make 17 more of them for my extended family's kids...?"

I've heard it all over the years.

So now it's baked goods and a smile. Done.
I used to make/help make crafts with my dck's at least 2 times a week. I no longer bother. I started to see old crafts piled and destroyed in snowflakes back pack. One time I helped mom take her kids out to her car to leave as I was on my way out too. I saw crumbled up crafts on the floor of her car. Also, a lot of the things you have here Meeko.
Bluemoon5 03:13 PM 12-12-2018
I've done several different things. If I'm feeling particularly energetic and start early enough I've made hand/foot print calendars. They take a lot of work though. I have 15 kids this year (12-18 months) so that was not happening. I had someone donate a bunch of 3x5 wooden frames so we decorated them and I took pics of them in front of a cute backdrop. My standard "go to" present is cinnamon dough handprint ornaments.
CalCare 04:02 PM 12-12-2018
As a parent, life gets in the way and getting several crafts that you simply don't value becomes a chore to manage.

Can I just say, of all the crafts, I don't want my child's footprint with a teacher's hand-drawn antlers, eyes and nose. My child didn't make that or have that idea or anything.

As a teacher, I wouldn't give a parent my art unless it was my own mom lol Since I'm no Picasso, no parent would want my art other than my mom. So why draw on kid's art? It makes no sense.

I stick with process art. The child has the process/ the experience. I don't make things for parents. The plants I had the children pot and bring home was an activity for the kids, as well as something the kids can give to their parents. So there ya go. It's a plant. I have such a distaste for adult planned and created and adjusted (!) Kid art. And probably many dcparents do too. Aaaaand probably many love that stuff. I concede we all have different opinions.
CityGarden 04:32 PM 12-12-2018

Wow this is such a cute idea --- we only do process art in my program but I think this is darling.
lovemykidstoo 06:17 AM 12-13-2018
I used to make/help make crafts with my dck's at least 2 times a week. I no longer bother. I started to see old crafts piled and destroyed in snowflakes back pack. One time I helped mom take her kids out to her car to leave as I was on my way out too. I saw crumbled up crafts on the floor of her car. Also, a lot of the things you have here Meeko.
I'm getting to that too. I just asked my dcg what she did with the wreath we made last night. She's 4 1/2 so she is not just making it up. She said I think it's in my room, I don't know. I said, mom didn't hang it up? No. grrrr Why bother. I've seen stuff in their car that we made weeks before etc. Yet this is a mom that lets him bring color sheets so he can color. So she wants him doing stuff like that, but then doesn't do anything with it once he does.
Cat Herder 06:28 AM 12-13-2018
"What are your kids making for parent gifts?"

Nothing.

They are painting, drawing and coloring art for our classroom walls. The school ager is drafting his letter to Santa, though.

I bought the DCK's Christmas presents, put them under the classroom tree, filled their stockings and we will be having a party on the last day of care before I close.

The majority of the DCK's who will no call/no show that day after confirming they will be here (as happens every year) will simply take their gift/stocking home the first day they come back and my DH will eat their red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting.
Unregistered 09:44 AM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
As a parent, life gets in the way and getting several crafts that you simply don't value becomes a chore to manage.

Can I just say, of all the crafts, I don't want my child's footprint with a teacher's hand-drawn antlers, eyes and nose. My child didn't make that or have that idea or anything.

As a teacher, I wouldn't give a parent my art unless it was my own mom lol Since I'm no Picasso, no parent would want my art other than my mom. So why draw on kid's art? It makes no sense.

I stick with process art. The child has the process/ the experience. I don't make things for parents. The plants I had the children pot and bring home was an activity for the kids, as well as something the kids can give to their parents. So there ya go. It's a plant. I have such a distaste for adult planned and created and adjusted (!) Kid art. And probably many dcparents do too. Aaaaand probably many love that stuff. I concede we all have different opinions.
Wow, I am a parent too. My kids have brought home many crafts. I never trashed them or just thought it sucked. I am sorry you don't like adult planned art for kids. Maybe you should find a new career.
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 12-13-2018
Wow, I am a parent too. My kids have brought home many crafts. I never trashed them or just thought it sucked. I am sorry you don't like adult planned art for kids. Maybe you should find a new career.
Oh for the love of all things child care....
why does someone need to find a new career every time they have a differing opinion?
Aussiedaycare 12:18 PM 12-13-2018
I have four children - if I kept every piece of paper they scribbled on I would be featuring on hoarders - but sure daycare is so obviously not the career for me
Unregistered 03:34 PM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by Aussiedaycare:
I have four children - if I kept every piece of paper they scribbled on I would be featuring on hoarders - but sure daycare is so obviously not the career for me
I have 3 kids. No I do not hoard their crafts. I do not leave them in their back packs or let them get stomped on or ripped up either. I keep them awhile then they go by by. But I try to respect the crafts, ect.5 ......at least for awhile.
Aussiedaycare 03:37 PM 12-13-2018
I have 3 kids. No I do not hoard their crafts. I do not leave them in their back packs or let them get stomped on or ripped up either. I keep them awhile then they go by by. But I try to respect the crafts, ect.5 ......at least for awhile.
Thats excellent, I also respect my children's craft while I have them as does Calcare I'm assuming as she did not state anything to contradict that in her post - so I guess day-care is the job for her and me after all
megoddess444 04:50 PM 12-13-2018
Big fat NOTHING!
CalCare 05:45 PM 12-13-2018
https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pubs...rt-experiencesHehe lol yes, you're right! I should find a new career. What a fool I am to agree with the NAEYC! 😆😆😆
flying_babyb 07:54 PM 12-13-2018
We dont as a center do anything. I chose to do with my class (5 months to 1.5 years) handprints in white on red paper, cut inyo a mitten, fingers painted into snowmen with a snowman poem on the back. Laminated them snd put a hole in for ornaments. Did one of each hand so two per kid. Same poem. Figure any divorces can give one to dad.
Unregistered 03:08 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pubs...rt-experiencesHehe lol yes, you're right! I should find a new career. What a fool I am to agree with the NAEYC! 😆😆😆
Ha ha ha ha.......ya. You seem to be a good fit for a career as a prison guard or maybe a bus driver.
Cat Herder 05:06 AM 12-14-2018
Both process art and heirloom art have a place in childcare.

One is about the child's creativity the other is about engagement.

Both are valuable.

If some parents don't appreciate the effort either takes and what their child gets out of it, that is on them.

Being on trend is no more valuable than being traditional. Both have merit and purpose.

Trends change every few years. NAEYC was founded in 1926. Raising children has been going on since the beginning of time.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 12-14-2018
Ha ha ha ha.......ya. You seem to be a good fit for a career as a prison guard or maybe a bus driver.
Why are you such an a-hole?

I wasn't going to ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be your head isn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that your shoes are too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
Might just be that your heart is two sizes too small.

Hoping the magic of the Christmas season finds it's way into your heart.
lovemykidstoo 07:15 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

lol love it!! Some people just have such issues and have to inflict it on others.
Jo123ABC 08:18 AM 12-14-2018
We are doing these little mouse footprints with a quote from the night before Christmas book. The lights are their thumbprints. For families with one child we used 8 by 10 canvas. For families with more than one child we used a size larger.

Next week we will probably make styrofoam cups into reindeer for an art project. Our Christmas party will consist of making sugar cookies and listening to Christmas music/watching Christmas movies.
Attached: IMG_20181214_100852193.jpg (2.66 MB) 
Ariana 09:45 AM 12-14-2018
Also a parent and a DCP and agree with the poster about teacher lead and completed art. Doesn’t mean you have to change your mind or care how I feel! I actually like hearing other peoples point of view
Rockgirl 10:42 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by blackcat31:
why are you such an a-hole?

i wasn't going to ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
But i think that the most likely reason of all
might just be that your heart is two sizes too small.

hoping the magic of the christmas season finds it's way into your heart. Lovethis
lololol!!!
Unregistered 10:20 AM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

And.... I hope your meds start to kick in. Maybe then will you stop being such a pompous a-hole.
Josiegirl 11:10 AM 12-15-2018
And.... I hope your meds start to kick in. Maybe then will you stop being such a pompous a-hole.
Way to bring the spirit of the season to the forum.
Blackcat31 09:33 PM 12-15-2018
“Can I refill your eggnog? Get you something to eat?....”

~Clark Griswald
Tags:christmas gifts parents, heirloom crafts, process art
Reply Up