Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Annual Christmas Gift Thread 2018
Cat Herder 11:58 AM 12-21-2018
Thoughtful cards? Heartwarming Thank You notes? Sweet Treats? Share it <3 What did you receive this year?
amberrose3dg 12:03 PM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Thoughtful cards? Heartwarming Thank You notes? Sweet Treats? Share it <3 What did you receive this year?
Fuzzy socks from a sweet 3 year old. She said she didnt want my feet cold.
Cat Herder 12:18 PM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Dawww. Now that is too sweet.
lovemykidstoo 12:25 PM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
That is too sweet!

I've had a 3 day party going on here because not all the kids are here on the same day. So fun fun fun! I'm so tired though lol

Daycare fam 1: A gift certificate to a local spa for a 60 minute massage, manicure and pedicure and she also included a $25 tip.

Fam 2: Gift certificate for a gel nail manicure

Fam 3: A gift bag with a coffee mug, a box of candy and an oven mitt with a sugar cookie mix in it.

Fam 4: 2 foaming hand soaps from bath and body works and a cute ceramic soap holder and a bottle of wine

Fam 5: bottle of wine and a $25 gift card to a local restaurant that I frequent

Fam 6: an alex and ani bracelet with a coffee mug on it, a candy bar and one of those frozen drink bags.

Fam 7: $50 target gift card

Fam 8: $60 cash

Fam 9: 2 wine glasses with the shape of Michigan on them. That's the thing in Michigan in our area. The shape of our state on everything. Love it. Also a bottle of wine
Cat Herder 12:32 PM 12-21-2018
Wow, LMK2, that is quite the haul. Nice.
Rockgirl 12:36 PM 12-21-2018
$50 Amazon gift card, $100 cash, nice scented candle, spa gift card. I really treasure the cards hand-written by parents (okay, moms), though. I feel appreciated.
lovemykidstoo 12:43 PM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Wow, LMK2, that is quite the haul. Nice.
I know. It's one of the most generous years I have had. I have to add and I feel bad not adding it before, but 3 of those gifts also had cards with very touching notes written in them. They all made me tear up honestly.
DaveA 12:50 PM 12-21-2018
DCF1- amazon gift card, tray of homemade frozen cinnamon rolls, & jar of cookies & chocolate covered popcorn.

DCF2 always buys gifts for my own kids.
Ac114 12:54 PM 12-21-2018
Family 1: a basket with an assortment of ghiridelli chocolates

Family 2: fuzzy blanket, fuzzy socks, bottle of wine, chocolates

Family 3: chalk board with a very thoughtful poem saying thank you for caring for her child with a 25 giftcard to city bbq

Family 4: gift basket 5 bath and body works candles, a wall flower with 3 refills, perfume from Victoria secret, an assortment of hand soaps and lotions also from bath and bottle works, a bottle of wine, a giant mug with a 25 giftcard to Starbucks

I was blown away by the appreciation my families showed me in their gifts.
Aussiedaycare 01:13 PM 12-21-2018
I have had three out of my four families for a few years now and they are all exceptionally generous. Also my daycare is called Honeybee so I generally get a lot of bee themed things.

Family 1 (2 children) : this was one of the children's last week as they are off to kindergarten next year so they gave me a present a day. I got a pandora bracelet, a $40 voucher to get my nails done, a $30 voucher for the local movies, a years subscription to an internet site called Storybox and on the same day a lovely children's book about bees that save their friends and on the last day two bunches of flowers .

Family 2: A gorgeous bee hanging ornament, a bee robot, a children's book about a sneezing bee and a joke roll of toilet paper because when her child first started toilet training the first time he used the toilet here he tried to flush a full roll of toilet paper.

Family 3: $150 in cash.

Family 4: a $200 gift card to our local shopping centre and the sweetest card written from both dad and mum (they both wrote their own bits) which honestly bought a tear to my eye as it was so lovely.

The most touching part though was that they got together and did up a donation box for the dogs at our local pound that I volunteer at and donated it under my name. I was so touched as it showed they obviously listen to me when I rave on about what I have done on the weekend and they knew what was important to me.
sharlan 01:31 PM 12-21-2018
Family #1 - nothing

Family #2 - nothing

Family #3 - $50 Chili's gift card, 2 fuzzy blankets, candle

Family #3, I've had for 6 years. Mom has never even said Merry Christmas or Happy Birthday. Dad usually at least says MC and sometimes gives me something little. The grandma always goes way out for me.
Cat Herder 02:18 PM 12-21-2018
F1: A text saying they are staying home for the length of school vacation and to have a Merry Christmas. (Already pre-paid, won't attend next week through the 2nd )

F2: Scented candle with a warmer set, Chocolates, Lavender Bath Salts, and Stress Relief hand lotion.

F3: A gift certificate to my favorite local mom & pop restaurant in the same amount as the discount I gave on next weeks tuition (one day's rate, so I lose no pay) and they are also staying home for the length of school vacation (pre-paid won't attend next week through the 2nd. .)

F4: Picked up late, rushed out. Looked confused when I handed off her child's gift, said nothing. (This is my all night and weekend texter I half expect a "are you open Monday?" text any minute. )
Annalee 02:44 PM 12-21-2018
Bath & Body Works Candle
2 bath and body works hand soap
Bath and body works hand gel
Massage socks
Sams/Walmart Gift Card
Cookie mix in a jar
My favorite College Team shirt
Hand Cream
2 Christmas Ornaments

I have 11 parents and each brought something for my assistant and I but there were three parents that give us hand-written cards of appreciation. I always put these in my Training Documentation/reference book.
Baby Beluga 03:18 PM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Bath & Body Works Candle
2 bath and body works hand soap
Bath and body works hand gel
Massage socks
Sams/Walmart Gift Card
Cookie mix in a jar
My favorite College Team shirt
Hand Cream
2 Christmas Ornaments

I have 11 parents and each brought something for my assistant and I but there were three parents that give us hand-written cards of appreciation. I always put these in my Training Documentation/reference book.
I do this too. I also go back and read them when I am having a particularly rough time with work.
Unregistered 04:25 PM 12-21-2018
Bath and body works soap (2)
Bath and body works lotion (2)
Candy
megoddess444 05:11 PM 12-21-2018
All 6 families——- Nothing

That’s ok though, I still get all of their children birthday and Xmas gifts.

Must note, first time in 15 years I got nada.
Ariana 06:01 PM 12-21-2018
Family #1 - Movie passes for my family and a heartfelt card

Family #2 - Mom owns a spa and did my nails for free. She told me it was part one of my gift but have yet to receive part two!

Family #3 - A giant blanket with her kids face all over it and a good laugh at the ridiculousness It is the thought that counts right?!
Indoorvoice 05:25 AM 12-22-2018
F1: nothing

F2: nothing

F3: $50 Amazon gift card and a nice card
storybookending 06:06 AM 12-22-2018
F1: two kids, $200 cash and a handwritten card

F2: homemade wall hanging/picture frame.. super cute and personal

F3: bottle of wine and restaurant gift card

F4: haven’t seen as I took an unexpected sick day yesterday, child is off all next week but says she’s swinging by with a present sometime next week

F5: nothing, only ones that sent their child when I texted that I was sick saying they can come but to be on call in case I can’t make it. I couldn’t and I sent him home before lunch. They’re young I didn’t expect anything
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 12-22-2018
F1-F5: GC to favorite restaurants, fleece throw blanket, scented candles (sandalwood... my FAV!) coffee cup w/gourmet coffe and some home made goodies)

F6 and F7 holiday cards with family photos

F8-F12... nothing

Right now all my families are pretty decent and are all respectful and kind.

They all make odd/head scratching comments once in a awhile or have WTH behaviors but for the most part they’re all pretty good so I definitely am not complaining.

I think the best thing I got from them all was not one single parent made a comment or protest that I’m closed (paid) until Wed Jan 3, 2019
Pepperth 09:59 AM 12-22-2018
1. Gift card to local coffee shop
2. Gift card to different local coffee shop
3. Bag of coffee, 6 of my favorite local candies (dark chocolate covered caramels with sea salt)
4. Handcrafted bag for the beach
5. Lotions
6. 6 more of my favorite candies. (from child not even in my class yet.)
7. Local jam and target gift card.
8. Gift card to favorite restaurant

You can tell that the school office sells gift cards, and the profits help fundraise for he school. Also, the secretary is a good friend of mine and apparently was asked by most of these families what I'd like. She said coffee.
Meeko 11:19 AM 12-22-2018
I have 14 families. Most gave a small gift and a card. A couple were very generous indeed.

But the one I treasure most this year is from a sweet single mom. She's been with me for about 18 months. Her little boy is a sweetheart. Her husband just decided one day that marriage wasn't for him and walked out. They divorced. Fast forward to last month and he decided to get married again. I'm not sure of the details, but the marriage was annulled after one week!!!!!!!!!!!! He has been picking up his son less and less and last month I got a call from a guy who introduced himself as the principal of the school the mom works at in their front office. He said that the school staff wanted to secretly pay for the next month of daycare as they found out the dad isn't paying his child support and times are very tough for the mom (she has an older daughter too) and she is so sweet and selfless. So they venmo'd me the tuition and asked me not to tell her who paid it. It was so nice of them and the mom cried when I told her.

This week, she came with a pretty little dish with some candy in it. Along with it, was a heartfelt note about how much it means to her to know her son is safe and cared for and how she couldn't manage without me etc. It was lovely. I noticed later that she had forgotten to remove the tag from under the dish. She got it as the local thrift store for 50c. I got teary, because it's not the price of the gift, it's because she went out with very little money to spare to find something to give. I will treasure it.
LK5kids 12:50 PM 12-22-2018
This was only my fourth week open. I have three families enrolled but two families have only been here 2 weeks so I surely didn't expect anything!

My third family is my daughter's!! My little 14 mo. Granddaughter comes full tine and her SA brother and sister come after school.

Last night my daughter cane with a cute mug, lotion and Chapstick as a daycare Christmas gift from Paisley, Mason & Grace! Awwwww!
Ariana 01:43 PM 12-22-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I have 14 families. Most gave a small gift and a card. A couple were very generous indeed.j

But the one I treasure most this year is from a sweet single mom. She's been with me for about 18 months. Her little boy is a sweetheart. Her husband just decided one day that marriage wasn't for him and walked out. They divorced. Fast forward to last month and he decided to get married again. I'm not sure of the details, but the marriage was annulled after one week!!!!!!!!!!!! He has been picking up his son less and less and last month I got a call from a guy who introduced himself as the principal of the school the mom works at in their front office. He said that the school staff wanted to secretly pay for the next month of daycare as they found out the dad isn't paying his child support and times are very tough for the mom (she has an older daughter too) and she is so sweet and selfless. So they venmo'd me the tuition and asked me not to tell her who paid it. It was so nice of them and the mom cried when I told her.

This week, she came with a pretty little dish with some candy in it. Along with it, was a heartfelt note about how much it means to her to know her son is safe and cared for and how she couldn't manage without me etc. It was lovely. I noticed later that she had forgotten to remove the tag from under the dish. She got it as the local thrift store for 50c. I got teary, because it's not the price of the gift, it's because she went out with very little money to spare to find something to give. I will treasure it.
What a beautiful story! The true meaning of Christmas for sure
BumbleBee 03:21 PM 12-22-2018
F1: gift certificate for massage, chocolates, headband, tervis cup
F2: gift card for red lobster
F3: hand towel set & the dck's favorite animal crackers.
F4: cash
F5: gift certificate for massage
F6: gift card for Target & homemade goodies
F7: Himalayan salt lamp, homemade goodies, gift card for red lobster
F8: homemade bath salts, chocolate, gift card to Burger King.
F9: 100 pc stamp set for the daycare, gift certificate for massage.

To say I was spoiled would be an understatement! And sidenote, I get a massage every month, hence all the certificates for them 😀
Josiegirl 03:22 PM 12-22-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
What a beautiful story! The true meaning of Christmas for sure
I agree! It's so nice to read stories like this.
lovemykidstoo 07:11 PM 12-22-2018
I have 14 families. Most gave a small gift and a card. A couple were very generous indeed.

Love this story. Warms my heart!
Chicupfront 09:31 AM 12-23-2018
$100 Target gift card
$50 cash and Nothing Bundt bundtlet
Cat basket full of cute, funny cat items- slippers, blanket, mug, wine glass, jewelry holder, kitchen timer and ornaments (I rescue and bottle-feed orphaned kittens)
Candy jar w/chocolate bars
Funny wine glasses, funny t-shirt and bottle of wine
Starbucks gift card
Josiegirl 02:08 AM 12-24-2018
Originally Posted by Chicupfront:
$100 Target gift card
$50 cash and Nothing Bundt bundtlet
Cat basket full of cute, funny cat items- slippers, blanket, mug, wine glass, jewelry holder, kitchen timer and ornaments (I rescue and bottle-feed orphaned kittens)
Candy jar w/chocolate bars
Funny wine glasses, funny t-shirt and bottle of wine
Starbucks gift card
Love the cat basket idea; that took some thought! And yay that you rescue and bottle feed orphaned kittens!!
Pestle 06:41 AM 12-24-2018
I got money.
https://youtu.be/whFBCIzwxp8?t=104
Ariana 08:40 AM 12-24-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I got money.
https://youtu.be/whFBCIzwxp8?t=104

Ariana 08:42 AM 12-24-2018
Mom came today with part two of my gift. A $25 GC to a restaurant and a $25 gift card to the liquor store plus handmade soap, shampoo bar and hand wash!
KayB 12:20 PM 12-24-2018

KayB 12:24 PM 12-24-2018
Bath and Body lotion set
$20 Visa card
$10 gift card to Sonic
Wine
Wine and glasses
notebook with my name and goodies
Small board with my name on it
shirt
Jupadia 05:41 PM 12-25-2018
Family 1: cheese / cracker gift box set
Presents for each of the dks (5 total)
Pay for vacation time I take through
out year even though they dont have
to.
50 walmart gift card from grandmother
( had a child in care for 4.5 years)

Family 2: box of chocolates
Gift for each of the kids
(Had a child on care for 3.5 years)

Family 3: box of chocolates
Gift for 1 other kid (as asked for for gift
exchange)
( started in October)
CityGarden 10:24 AM 12-27-2018
I have a small group this year...

Family 1 - Shawl from Zara (and paid tuition in full without question despite them being out of town for 3+ weeks over the holidays)
Family 2 - Jo Malone Bath Oil
Family 3 - Soup bowl set, scarf for me and GC for my dd to a hip tween store
Family 4 - Nothing

One of my past dck families sent a holiday card and I was surprised how much that meant to me. I think I will send my holiday cards to past families in hopes more will include me in the holiday card list.

I was/am closed 12/24 - 1/7 paid and no one has yet to complain so overall that is a HUGE gift itself!
Sunchimes 11:51 AM 12-27-2018
I just have 2 families, plus a family who aged out and will be back for school break next week.

Family #1. I have taken care of both of their kids with a baby joining us in the Spring. A gorgeous plush blanket and a very generous gift card.

Family #2, a poinsettia and a nice gift card. In a first for me, one set of grandparents and a great-grandparent teamed up to get me a couple of nice gift cards

Family #3 will be here next week. They have always done such lovely things. They are more like family than clients.
sahm1225 12:43 PM 12-27-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I have a small group this year
One of my past dck families sent a holiday card and I was surprised how much that meant to me. I think I will send my holiday cards to past families in hopes more will include me in the holiday card list.

I f!
I started sending xmas cards to old families this year and I received cards from 3 families and was so excited! Seeing how big the kids were was just beautiful. One mom
Didn’t send me a card but emailed me with pictures of dcb. It’s great seeing the kids again
Mom2Two 02:53 PM 12-28-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Family #3 - A giant blanket with her kids face all over it and a good laugh at the ridiculousness It is the thought that counts right?!
Like, with the faces printed on it? lol That would be a bit hard to ever donate or pass on.

F1 A box of pecan turtles. The family is new so they didn't realize that I would treat the pecans like they were radioactive and pass them on asap. (DD has severe nut allergies)

F2 Not completely sure what it is...I think it's a door knob Santa advent calendar???? Anyway, I hung it on the front door. I hope I didn't mess up there.

F3 A nice message of thanks, cash, and candy

F4 Their family annual message card. It was really cute, actually-very creative.

And it was so nice to get a gift from a previous family who still feels grateful for the help I gave them with a difficult situation.
knoxmomof2 02:20 PM 12-30-2018
Love this ❤️❤️❤️❤️

knoxmomof2 02:31 PM 12-30-2018
I have 4 children from 3 families. I've worked with 1 family for almost 6 years between their 3 kids. I got a gift bag full of very nice bath / body products, a candle, chocolates and a photo Christmas card. They always give thoughtful gifts. Family 2 gave me $100 check (wow!), their family Christmas card (which was so funny!) and their family newsletter with the sweetest note about how thankful they are to have found me and how much they appreciate the peace of mind they have when they go to work because of me. Honestly, the rest of the gift was very nice but that note was the best part!! 😁❤️❤️ Family 3 didn't give me anything but they're young and are struggling, but they pay me full rate, on time every week and are considerate about my time so that is most important to me.

The gift value doesn't matter to me and I never expect anything. I just appreciate the thoughtfulness and knowing that I'm appreciated. I have great families right now. I'm so thankful to this board for the knowledge you've given me to help me get to this point. It has been priceless!
Ariana 03:02 PM 12-30-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Like, with the faces printed on it? lol That would be a bit hard to ever donate or pass on.
Yes! It is actually an expensive plush blanket from Walmart but yeah has her face printed all over it
Tags:christmas gifts, gifts from children, gifts from parents
Reply Up