Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Momo Scare on Youtube
springv 03:36 PM 03-02-2019
Do any of you allow your children to watch youtube? We allow our kids to watch peppa pig on youtube and books that read to you. I've been seeing a lot on FB lately about a person named Momo coming through youtube and scaring kids and making parents mad. I've saw that its real and to delete youtube from your kids devices and then I've saw where its a hoax and don't believe it. So I don't know what to believe or if its real or not. HELP
Mike 04:36 PM 03-02-2019
It's real and apparently has caused at least one death, but that doesn't mean remove youtube. Just need to teach kids not to believe or do everything they see or hear about.
Jupadia 05:28 PM 03-02-2019
My kids are 6 and 3, so the only u tube the get is with us. My husband dose play animal visors or movie trailers, or things like huge lego builds for them. I play kid songs.
I've read conflicting reports on how real this thing is, but know there is a lot that can get threw child security settings (though it can stop alot).
trytobearunner34 02:21 AM 03-03-2019
While the Momo Challenge does not appear to be a credible threat, it’s always smart to watch videos on platforms such as YouTube WITH young children as ads and auto play videos may not be appropriate.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/28/healt...rnd/index.html
Josiegirl 02:33 AM 03-03-2019
I'd never heard of it before now. But I completely agree with monitoring everything your child is exposed to. While it might seem impossible to do(especially as they age and want more privacy)I think it's very important. We've all read the stories where an impressionable young teen gets lured by someone they think is something else.
A lot of the 'stuff' available to kids is just junk anyways. Although Peppa Pig; one would think that's pretty safe.
Josiegirl 02:36 AM 03-03-2019
Originally Posted by Mike:
It's real and apparently has caused at least one death, but that doesn't mean remove youtube. Just need to teach kids not to believe or do everything they see or hear about.
This is so true. Kids have to develop a good sense of right/wrong, respect for themselves and others, and feel they can talk with parents about everything. It's hard because they're so impressionable.
Meeko 08:52 AM 03-03-2019
The pictures of her scare me, let alone kids!!!
Luvnmykidz 03:06 PM 03-03-2019
Our local schools have sent out letters and emails regarding this as well. It has also been reported by some parents that Momo has an avatar on Roblox and has been contacting others via that encouraging them to respond back and do challenges. Some parents have also mentioned that there have been viruses reported by parents they know that have clicked on it when their child’s avatar has been contacted. My children use YouTube responsibly and have been taught what they need to be aware of on it and I also monitor their usuals. I’ve encouraged parents to do the same and have also encouraged them to spend more time with the kids rather than allowing YouTube to “babysit “their children at home. That obviously has been an issue regardless of the “Momo Craze” and is very reflective in the children’s behaviors.
KiwiKids 03:21 PM 03-03-2019
I read an article today that the artist who created the sculpture wants kids to know that he destroyed it and they don’t need to be afraid. He seems upset it was used for a purpose like this.
tlemother 03:52 AM 03-04-2019
It is all media hype.
Hunni Bee 06:37 AM 03-04-2019
If parents actually monitored what their kids are watching/doing on YouTube then this wouldn't have caught on so. I see so many people just hand their kid their phone or iPad for hours without checking what's actually on the screen.
Ariana 07:02 AM 03-04-2019
I know personally a mom who has seen it come up on an LOL doll cartoon so I think it might have started as a hoax and then idiots started putting it in for real.

I had an incident happen with a potty video, not momo but something else scary. Luckily I had watched the entire video first. After that youtube has been off limits in my house.
CityGarden 08:52 AM 03-04-2019
Momo is just the latest concern.... it being credible or not misses the larger picture to me as next month it will be another new concern.

I suggest IF parents are allowing media that it be a closed source site or resource.

To use the example of Peppa Pig instead of watching that on Youtube I would advise my families to watch it on the Nick Jr's website or on Netflicks.

Also I think IF we say TV/media time is family time (not a babysitter) and commit to watching with our children we are then present to help aid IF something is not right or if we need to have a conversation about things. It will always be something....
e.j. 11:15 AM 03-04-2019
I'd never heard of Momo until I saw this thread. I had no idea what it was so I looked it up. Creep looking thing! lol All of a sudden, I'm hearing about it everywhere. They did a news story on it this weekend. A little boy was so frightened by it, he called the police to report it! It's sad that there are people out there that put their energy and talent into creating this stuff instead of something useful and positive.
Annalee 04:25 AM 03-05-2019
The local elementary school here have suspended some kids because they are promoting the momo thing. My sons are in High School but had never seen it. What I was shown by a parent-friend was scary and momo list ways to not only kill yourself but your parents as well. ??? It give me the creeps to read it. I think that's very serious and should be taken so!
Tags:safety of children, youtube
Reply Up