Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hours and Days Open
AbigailN 05:34 PM 03-06-2019
Hi. I'm new. Stumbled here because I kept googling policy questions that brought me here. Hoping I'm not being too forward but ya'll seemed pretty cool from what I've read.

Technically, I'm in the process of trying to open my own daycare and I'm struggling with things what hours to be open and even how to decide that.

Most places around me are open until 5, some open until 6 but nothing past six (for in home daycares). I don't have a family so I don't need to work around their schedule. But how do you decide what hours beyond that?

I do live about a 30 minute commute outside of a major city, so I'm imagine that a daycare open later than 6 might be a draw, but I'm not sure how to find out. Another factor to possibly consider is that I'm trying for a professional quality daycare.

One of the things that is making this complicated as well is that I practice Judaism. (This won't be a Jewish daycare though.) So I need to be off by about 4PM on Friday between November and January/February. Has anyone ever heard of a Sunday-Thursday daycare to offset the Friday? Or would that only be something that retail people would need (not to say that retail people don't need daycare mind you...)?

I also have to deal with the Jewish holidays (That can be as many as seven in one month and ends up being about thirteen a year.) I'm okay having them off as just my regular days because that's how I've been doing it at all my other jobs. I'm just sure how to work that into my policy. Any suggestions there? (Just treat them as a vacation day?) I also don't think I care about getting secular holidays off, though having a day off where I can actually do things is cool too.

Any advice with this? Thanks!
DaveA 04:06 AM 03-07-2019
Yes there is usually a demand for later/ evening care. The problem in a home daycare is people need morning care as well. My hours are 6a-5p, and because I've chosen early shift families I'm usually done by 4. Even 11-12 hour days can be really rough. Pushing past that with more hours into the evening is a good way to burnout quick.

As for Su-TH- I've never seen it, but it could be feasible. Is there a large Jewish population in you area? If so you'll have a market familiar with those times. If not closing early on Friday with M-F operation might be easier to fill spots.

When it comes to days off- you are taking them for you. I take 10 paid holidays (including my birthday and anniversary) and 2 unpaid 5 day breaks. My parents understand that I'm a better provider because my world doesn't revolve around my daycare. Parents who push back on you taking "too much" time are likely the same ones who will be pains on other policy issues. So not a huge loss if you don't choose to enroll them.

Good Luck!
284878 04:17 AM 03-07-2019
My DC is open m-th and I am closed for Christmas and national holidays, like labor day and Thanksgiving. Some DC will close for president day and other holiday.
I work contract hours up to ten per day. What that means is my hours are based on what a family needs. If a family work 9-5, then I am open for them 830-530. I can have three different families with three different start and stop times. (Example 745-545, 8-430 & 820-5)

You can use your Jewdasim to your advantage by advertising that you are open Christmas. I have also heard of DC that are closed one Friday a month and some that close early every Friday. (Of course make sure you close early enough to off set for a possible late arrival)
As for your holidays that you need off, take them as paid holidays or Vacation, it doesn't matter. Just follow your policies on letting the families know when you are going to be closed.
Working Sun-Thu might be a draw for retailers but those that work Sunday have free family care for that day.
You could consider a third shift care,
Sun- Thursday night closing for the week by 8 am. Depending on your state laws and how much space you have to use. (My state allows providers to sleep until six but all the kids must be in regular beds or cribs, pack n plays, mats and cots are not allowed for over night)
Ariana 05:27 AM 03-07-2019
I currently have my hours from 7am - 5pm and just accept families that can work within that time frame. You can do this as well and make sure to put it in your contract that you are Jewish and then list the particulars of days off and days you will be closing at 4pm etc. Being upfront is key. I state in my contract that I have 5 personal days and reserve the right to ask for ealy pickup with 24 hrs notice.

Basicalky do what you need to do to follow your religious obligations and you will get families who are ok with it!
Snowmom 06:02 AM 03-07-2019
Have you talked to any local providers? Some may be very forthcoming and want to network (and some may not).

In my area, the majority of families are looking for care 7-5. Some want 6-4. There are a few providers here that do evening and weekend care (24 hour care) and they seem to struggle to fill daytime hours. In my own opinion, I think possible families feel they will get burnt out or not receive the proper care since the providers are "on" 24/7.
There are LOTS of providers here who have a Monday-Thursday work week. They may have openings longer than those who do M-F, but if they have a good rep, they fill!

Holidays are an easy answer: List out the days you will be closed every year and hand it out at enrollment. They don't need an explanation.

I would decide what's important to you in terms of hours & days. When I say "important", I mean what will keep you interested, healthy and fresh! This business can burn you out fast. The first three years are usually the hardest. The providers who don't continue after year 3 are usually the ones who are open too long, for not enough money, and have little policy (or the ability to enforce them).
Blackcat31 06:05 AM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Have you talked to any local providers? Some may be very forthcoming and want to network (and some may not).

In my area, the majority of families are looking for care 7-5. Some want 6-4. There are a few providers here that do evening and weekend care (24 hour care) and they seem to struggle to fill daytime hours. In my own opinion, I think possible families feel they will get burnt out or not receive the proper care since the providers are "on" 24/7.
There are LOTS of providers here who have a Monday-Thursday work week. They may have openings longer than those who do M-F, but if they have a good rep, they fill!

Holidays are an easy answer: List out the days you will be closed every year and hand it out at enrollment. They don't need an explanation.

I would decide what's important to you in terms of hours & days. When I say "important", I mean what will keep you interested, healthy and fresh! This business can burn you out fast. The first three years are usually the hardest. The providers who don't continue after year 3 are usually the ones who are open too long, for not enough money, and have little policy (or the ability to enforce them).
networking with other providers is the best way to learn about community needs.
LittleExplorers 07:30 AM 03-07-2019
The beauty of our business is we can make our own hours. It depends on if you need to be full to make it financially as well. I am open 7:15 to 4:30 and only during the school year. I am also closed all non-school days. I cater to teachers and school staff and advertise as such. I play up the no summer tuition portion as they don't need care then and most, if not all providers near me would charge regardless, as they should.

Is there a large business near you that may need an early opening or closes by 3:30? What is the demand for daycare in your area? If the demand is high, you may be able to close early those months and stay full. I would start with a 4:00 close and see what interest you get first. Hope you find a way to make it work!
CityGarden 11:09 AM 03-07-2019
Do you have an active Jewish community near you? There are a couple providers near me who have programs that cater to Jewish families and it seems win win for the families and the provider.
AbigailN 03:21 PM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Even 11-12 hour days can be really rough. Pushing past that with more hours into the evening is a good way to burnout quick.

When it comes to days off- you are taking them for you. I take 10 paid holidays (including my birthday and anniversary) and 2 unpaid 5 day breaks. My parents understand that I'm a better provider because my world doesn't revolve around my daycare. Parents who push back on you taking "too much" time are likely the same ones who will be pains on other policy issues. So not a huge loss if you don't choose to enroll them.

Good Luck!
I worked 12 hour days for a month or two in a daycare. That burnt me out faster than anything. So I know not to do that. I'd be more open from say, 9-7, instead of 7-5.

I would think taking off 20 days a year would be too much for parents, but that is almost what I want to do. I like your system. Might use it.
AbigailN 03:25 PM 03-07-2019
To clarify: no, I do not have a large Jewish population. Most the families that are in the area stay at home actually, so within my community, there isn't much of a demand for this. Some, but not much.
AbigailN 03:33 PM 03-07-2019
I've worked daycare for a couple years, so I know what causes my burnout and am hoping this will avoid it. (One of the BIG things that did was being in classrooms of 15+ kids. Can't do that when you're only licensed for 8. ) I've also taken a year break which is why I know that this is something I really want to do. (Way more rewarding than restocking shelves.)

Since I had several people suggest networking, how would one go about doing that? I know most the daycare centers at least in the area have HUGE waiting lists, so I'm hoping that suggests there is a demand. (I know the center scene in town. Home daycare is new to me.)

Also, thanks Ariana for the encouragement. I've had a few people tell me that I can't do this and still be closed in time for Shabbat.
Tags:scheduals
Reply Up