Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>California Relocation
HappyEverAfter 01:57 PM 03-04-2018
I just found out that we may be moving to California later this year. I’ve been enjoying doing childcare out of my home in my current state, keeping just 4 kids and being legally unlicensed. Obviously the rules are different in California and I’d have to get a license to do what I do now. I am not sure yet if this is what I want to do or if I’d rather stop doing childcare and seek out other options. Anyway, in trying to decide what I’d want to do, I have a couple questions.

1. How difficult is it to become licensed in CA? I’ve looked online at the process and it doesn’t look too bad but having never been licensed, I don’t know what “headaches” the process might bring.

2. Can anyone tell me the rates they charge in Southern CA? I know my current city/state are on the lower end of childcare rates and I am just curious what I could reasonably expect to charge for full time care. (We would likely live in the Orange County or SanDiego areas)
Michael 02:35 PM 03-04-2018
Here is a related thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...s+-+california
HappyEverAfter 05:27 PM 03-04-2018
Thanks! That helped!
MarinaVanessa 06:57 PM 03-04-2018
I'm in CA and it's not that hard really.
I actually think the process is too easy.

Overall here's the basic of what you will need to get a license:
- Anyone working with the children or living in the home over the age of 18 must get a background check through LiveScan (aka fingerprinted). This will cost anywhere from $45-$65 depending on where you go. I get mine done at the Sheriff's department, by appointment only.
- Anyone working with the children or living in the home over the age of 18 must get a TB clearance. Go to your Dr's office or other clinic to be tested for tuberculosis and get a negative result or if you get a positive result get treated for it and a clearance note from your Dr. Cost me about $15 (my insurance didn't cover it)
- CA child care Infant, adult & child CPR and first aid certification for you and any approved adult that you may leave with the children with (for example if you have Dr's appointment and your DH fills in then because you are not present he must have CPR/first aid). Not just a typical CPR class, there is a specific class you have to take for licensing. Through American Red Cross it's about $100, I go through an individual and pay $55. The first class is an 8 hr class, re-certification usually takes about 4-7 hours depending on who you get. You have to get re-certified every 2 years.
- Take a one-time Preventative Health & Safety Practices class (for the first time you can usually take this class and the CPR/first-aid class in the same weekend, it's a 2-day 15-hour(ish) course). This one costs around $95 (when I first took it, not sure how much now. You only have to take it once as of now but it's in the works that the state may change this to have us re-certify after a certain number of years.
- You have to be current and immunized against influenza, pertussis, and measles (and anyone living/working in the home that has direct contact with the children that is over 16 years old). Cost varies on your insurance, all I paid was my $20 co-pay.
- Mandated Reporter training. It's roughly about 3 hours long online and free. You just go through the training, take a 20 question test and print out the certificate to put in your files. You have to renew your certificate every 2 years.
- Go to an orientation. You can do this in person or go to one online. Not sure what it costs now, when I took it about 10 years ago it was about $25.
- Fill out an application and put all of your "proofs" (immunizations, cpr certificates etc) and an application fee (can't remember how much it was) and mail it in. They'll call you to schedule a walk-through.
- Walk through ... they come to make sure that your home is child-proof. If you pass the inspection they will print out your license right then and there (they have portable printers) and you can operate as of that day.
Lovisa 06:20 AM 03-05-2018
I live in Ca and have never heard of the Mandated Reporter training. Is that a new thing? I've been licensed for several years and no one (including licensing when they show up for random visits) have never said anything.
HappyEverAfter 06:36 AM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'm in CA and it's not that hard really.
I actually think the process is too easy.

Overall here's the basic of what you will need to get a license:
- Anyone working with the children or living in the home over the age of 18 must get a background check through LiveScan (aka fingerprinted). This will cost anywhere from $45-$65 depending on where you go. I get mine done at the Sheriff's department, by appointment only.
- Anyone working with the children or living in the home over the age of 18 must get a TB clearance. Go to your Dr's office or other clinic to be tested for tuberculosis and get a negative result or if you get a positive result get treated for it and a clearance note from your Dr. Cost me about $15 (my insurance didn't cover it)
- CA child care Infant, adult & child CPR and first aid certification for you and any approved adult that you may leave with the children with (for example if you have Dr's appointment and your DH fills in then because you are not present he must have CPR/first aid). Not just a typical CPR class, there is a specific class you have to take for licensing. Through American Red Cross it's about $100, I go through an individual and pay $55. The first class is an 8 hr class, re-certification usually takes about 4-7 hours depending on who you get. You have to get re-certified every 2 years.
- Take a one-time Preventative Health & Safety Practices class (for the first time you can usually take this class and the CPR/first-aid class in the same weekend, it's a 2-day 15-hour(ish) course). This one costs around $95 (when I first took it, not sure how much now. You only have to take it once as of now but it's in the works that the state may change this to have us re-certify after a certain number of years.
- You have to be current and immunized against influenza, pertussis, and measles (and anyone living/working in the home that has direct contact with the children that is over 16 years old). Cost varies on your insurance, all I paid was my $20 co-pay.
- Mandated Reporter training. It's roughly about 3 hours long online and free. You just go through the training, take a 20 question test and print out the certificate to put in your files. You have to renew your certificate every 2 years.
- Go to an orientation. You can do this in person or go to one online. Not sure what it costs now, when I took it about 10 years ago it was about $25.
- Fill out an application and put all of your "proofs" (immunizations, cpr certificates etc) and an application fee (can't remember how much it was) and mail it in. They'll call you to schedule a walk-through.
- Walk through ... they come to make sure that your home is child-proof. If you pass the inspection they will print out your license right then and there (they have portable printers) and you can operate as of that day.

Thanks so much for all the information! That sounds like a completely easy process that I wouldn’t have problems with at all. It actually sounds easier than my current state.
hwichlaz 02:32 PM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
I live in Ca and have never heard of the Mandated Reporter training. Is that a new thing? I've been licensed for several years and no one (including licensing when they show up for random visits) have never said anything.

Yes, it’s new as of January 1st, and you have until the end of march to complete it or it’s a violation. Here is the link for the training. It’s free and you have to do it every 2 years. http://mandatedreporterca.com/
MarinaVanessa 08:48 AM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
Yes this just came into effect January 1st and was posted in our quarterly updates on the CCL website. I went to a local meeting at our resource and referral agency last Friday where there was a presentation with licensing and I brought up how a lot of providers were commenting that they did not know about the new changes. I shared their response with the ladies in our local family child care FB group so I'm going to copy and paste it here for you.

"As a lot of you ladies know it has come up a couple of times about provider's never having been told about the quarterly updates and/or the Provider Information Notices (PIN's). I went to a workshop with licensing at Child Development Resources and brought this up and I wanted to share licensing's response with you. In brief:

1) Provider's sign the family child care license application which says that providers agree that they "shall stay current and in compliance with the laws and regulations governing standards for Family Child Care Homes"

2) That it is the provider's responsibility to check the CCL website regularly to see if the regulations have changed.

3) That the topic of the location of where the Title 22 regulations, quarterly updates (and now PIN's) are posted have always been covered and continue to be covered in the orientation before becoming licensed.

4) That licensing does continuing community outreach to notify providers of changes such as through workshops at resource and referral agencies, local family child care associations, quarterly updates and PIN's sent via email, posting on the CCLD child care website etc.

5) That licensing analyst's visits are to ensure enforcement of the regulations and that many times there isn't sufficient time to go over changes. That they do their best but that provider's should not wait and rely on these visits as a source of information and education. Provider's should check the quarterly updates and PIN's online and if providers have questions or need clarification they should reach out to their analysts and not wait for a site visit

6) That if a provider is not aware of a change in the licensing regulations they will still be cited

Under some circumstances licensing will be more lenient when there is a change in a regulation like for example if a new law suddenly comes into effect and there is very little to no warning then the goal will be to educate and give the provider time to comply instead of directly citing the provider ... this will depend on how much time has passed since the new regulation was posted etc.

So, in short, if you were not aware of the quarterly updates or PIN's please bookmark these links and start checking now. The quarterly updates are posted all the way back to 2013 and the PINS up until 2016, I'd go back and review them.
Quarterly Updates: http://www.cdss.ca.gov/…/Self-Assessment-…/Quarterly-Updates
Provider Information Notices (PIN): http://www.cdss.ca.gov/…/Provider-Information-No…/Child-Care

You can also sign up to have them emailed to you by emailing childcareadvocatesprogram@dss.ca.gov and simply saying you want to sign up for the CA child care updates. Please share this info with anyone that may not already know!"
Tags:rates - california
Reply Up