Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Who Provides Diapers For Your Dcks
SilverSabre25 06:10 AM 02-10-2011
How much does it cost, typically, for you to do this? I'm considering that it might be simpler to provide diapers for everyone rather than having the parents providing them--I'm terrible about remembering to tell the parents we need more, and I'm tired of the arguments about sizing and frequency of changes and whatnot. I figure if i provide all diapers (I'm thinking of Target generic) then life will be simpler...but I don't know if it's going to be cost-prohibitive.
cillybean83 06:45 AM 02-10-2011
i give the option of providing their own, or charging $0.25 per diapers for me to supply them...that's roughly the actual cost of the diaper so I'm not really making money off of it or anything. I buy Huggies only, that's the only thing my husband has put his foot down about when it comes to our 14 month old son...he MUST wear Huggies diapers! lol I bought Luvs, and some store brands in the past but they leak so I gave up on that and stick to Huggies, or if I'm super cheap I use the Luvs or store brand during the day when DH is gone, and Huggies at night

I guess it wouldn't hurt to offer parents the opportunity to have diapers supplied for them, but if they are brand loyal they might not take you up on it.
SilverSabre25 06:48 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
i give the option of providing their own, or charging $0.25 per diapers for me to supply them...that's roughly the actual cost of the diaper so I'm not really making money off of it or anything. I buy Huggies only, that's the only thing my husband has put his foot down about when it comes to our 14 month old son...he MUST wear Huggies diapers! lol I bought Luvs, and some store brands in the past but they leak so I gave up on that and stick to Huggies, or if I'm super cheap I use the Luvs or store brand during the day when DH is gone, and Huggies at night

I guess it wouldn't hurt to offer parents the opportunity to have diapers supplied for them, but if they are brand loyal they might not take you up on it.
Oh no, none of these are brand loyal at all! I get the weirdest diapers in this place, lol. Let's see...$.25/diaper at roughly 4 diapers a day works out to a dollar a day or $5 a week which is about what I was thinking anyway..
marniewon 07:12 AM 02-10-2011
I would consider it, for the same reasons OP mentioned. I wouldn't charge per diaper though, I'd just charge a flat rate of $5/week. Dcp's can still argue with the amount of diapers you go through if you are charging per diaper. Also, with the great deals I can find, I can probably get them for less than that.

Even if parents were brand loyal, if they didn't like the diapers I purchase, they can always change little junior when they get home. I would be buying Huggies anyway, and that's a pretty good diaper, from what I've noticed here.
nannyde 07:15 AM 02-10-2011
I would figure it out for size six of the premium diapers and tax. That way you will be safe. If you are going to provide wipes add that also.

We can't get premimum diapers here for a quarter per diaper. It would be about two dollars a day to break even. You need to consider time and gas to get them too.

My friend owns two centers and provides them. She figures about an average of two dollars per day per kid. The pullups are WAY more so if you are going to include them then you will need to decide if that is included. I would also consider maybe purchasing the cheaper store versions for the "go home" diaper.
cillybean83 07:22 AM 02-10-2011
i change my kids like 6 times a day...i'm a diaper freak, I wouldn't want a rash on my tush so I can only assume they wouldn't want one either!

I get the massive box of huggies from sams for $40 and it ends up being about $0.25ish per diaper, but that's basing it off of size 4, and I don't remember if I included tax or not
BentleysBands 10:08 AM 02-10-2011
I supply all items. For the exact reasons you stated.
I buy only Pampers Or luvs. Doesn't cost much when using coupons.and the parents.
Think they are getting a deal.
melissa ann 04:28 PM 02-10-2011
I used Walmart's brand for my kids and had less leaks then the expensive ones the dcp bought.
I couldn't see paying the higher price for huggies etc when the walmarts brand suited my kids just fine. (Note: I'm not a walmart fan and since my kids no longer need diapers/formula I rarely go there)
cillybean83 09:28 PM 02-10-2011
idk...my son is a marathon pee-er lol...the parents choice stuff at walmart did not cut it for him
Abigail 09:54 PM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
How much does it cost, typically, for you to do this? I'm considering that it might be simpler to provide diapers for everyone rather than having the parents providing them--I'm terrible about remembering to tell the parents we need more, and I'm tired of the arguments about sizing and frequency of changes and whatnot. I figure if i provide all diapers (I'm thinking of Target generic) then life will be simpler...but I don't know if it's going to be cost-prohibitive.
I'm actually thinking about offering an "all-inclusive" service at a higher rate. Since you already have these families enrolled, I would ask if they have a preference on diaper brand. Some children may break out if you use a specific or generic brand. I would buy in bulk ALWAYS with coupons for whichever you decide. (Even if you have one in size 2, someone eventually would grow into the unused size 2 so never settle for a small, higher cost bag) You might be able to work out a deal with a local store to always get 10% off since you're a LOYAL customer to them with your business. It doesn't hurt to try. If this doesn't work, I would speak to them about a one-time discount because you're going to spend $*** for the year in one purchase and offer your loyalty to their store. If this works, make sure you do it while the diapers are all on sale and have a computer-printed/newspaper manufacturers coupon too! LOL

I agree with a PPost about not charging .25 per diaper because if you're providing them all-inclusive they don't need to know how many you use each day. I would charge along these guidelines:
When you buy a large box w/coupon take the total cost (including tax) and divide that by the number of diapers in the box to get the final cost per diaper. Ex. 108 diapers for $22.99 + 6% tax = $24.37 / 108 = 23 cents per diaper.

Do this for all the sizes of diapers up to size 6 because the larger the size the more per diaper it will cost. Average out the total cost per diaper by adding together the size 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 even if you don't have children currently in these sizes. If the average cost is .30 for diaper (for example) and you change a diaper 4-5 times per day, you want to make sure you're compensated for at minimum $1.20-$1.50 per child a day.

That $1.20-$1.50 per child a day turns into $6-$7.50 a week per child. Instead of saying the rate increases $6 or $7.50 per week for the all-inclusive option, tell them a percentage. If you're rates are $120/week it would become $126 which is about 5% or $127.50 which is about 6%. That being said, you could say you're all-inclusive option is 5%-6% higher to make sure you're fully covered.

Unregistered 07:40 AM 02-11-2011
I provide the diapers here, I like luvs or walmart brand. The $5.00 a week sounds about right. I started providing the diaps and wipes (sams club wipes when I can go) b/c parents were so bad at remembering them. I change them 4 x's a day here.
I just sent out a notice that said as of this date I will be providing the diaps and wipes. I was lucky though no one really had a brand prefrence so I just chose luvs. Let us know what happens!
Debbie
Tags:diapers, diapers provided
Reply Up