Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Public Restroom Apparantly
Mommyto4Kids 07:57 AM 01-13-2014
It's been a long times since I have been on this forum. I don't even remember my log in.

Anyway, why is it that several times a week parents just HAVE to use the bathroom at our house? Why didn't you go pee before you left work or home? It never fails a dck peed on the floor or didn't flush.
Happily_wed 08:06 AM 01-13-2014
I had a daycare mom once that was a teacher. She would come in every evening to pick up the kids and insist on washing her hands in my kitchen sink. Yuck! Icky school germs in my kitchen sink! I finally put out a bottle of hand sanitizer and would say " oh here's some sanitizer, just use it!"
Unregistered 08:25 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Mommyto4Kids:
It's been a long times since I have been on this forum. I don't even remember my log in.

Anyway, why is it that several times a week parents just HAVE to use the bathroom at our house? Why didn't you go pee before you left work or home? It never fails a dck peed on the floor or didn't flush.
Yup, thats why I have sign that reads "No public restroom" and this is meant for the parents,and siblings of day care kids.
Heidi 09:07 AM 01-13-2014
Honestly? I run a business out of my home. Sometimes people need to use the bathroom. It's not a big deal to me at all. They always ask, and I always say "sure, but leave a quarter on the commode". It's something my GMA used to say...only it was "Ja sicher, aber las einen Groschen auf die Toliete".
Luna 10:23 AM 01-13-2014
I have no problem with people using our bathroom. Sometimes I have to tell them heads up...I haven't had a chance to get in there to check since the last one used it...but I clean after each child uses it so it's usually ok. It's not like strangers are stopping in off the street, I do know these people.
Play Care 10:23 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Honestly? I run a business out of my home. Sometimes people need to use the bathroom. It's not a big deal to me at all. They always ask, and I always say "sure, but leave a quarter on the commode". It's something my GMA used to say...only it was "Ja sicher, aber las einen Groschen auf die Toliete".
I've never had anyone use my restroom, so I wouldn't have an issue with the occasional use. But I can totally understand why providers (and heck, many other small businesses) don't offer public facilities. I've heard horror stories of parents letting their older, non dc children trash the day care bathroom, or parents being caught going through medicine cabinets. I honestly don't think allowing everyone to use your bathroom is the cost of doing business.
TaylorTots 10:24 AM 01-13-2014

EchoMom 10:31 AM 01-13-2014
I used to let parents use toilet but don't anymore. I tell them it's occupied or that I don't have a guest bathroom. I only have one bathroom and it's usually a disaster. It's one thing for a three year old to use it but I don't need adults in there analyzing my personal things.
Lucy 10:54 AM 01-13-2014
I hate it!! And I did a poll thread on it a couple years ago: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36716
itlw8 11:20 AM 01-13-2014
I had a dcd that used to do that. Well we can not have locks on the bathroom door because of licensing so one of the kids as usual ran into the bathroom while he was using it... He was MAD MAD MAD I said sorry that is what happens in a preschool. He never had to use it again. The man was coming from his house maybe8 blocks away... I thought it was funny.
daycarediva 11:24 AM 01-13-2014
I am putting a stop to this, too. I am getting tiny sized potty for my daycare bathroom and the only other bath is on a different floor. "Sorry, I don't have an adult sized guest bath."
Brooksie 11:24 AM 01-13-2014
Gee, I honestly have never had a DCP use my rest room or even ask... Maybe its because there isn't a bathroom on the 1st floor? idk.. Guess I've been lucky in that aspect.
Blackcat31 11:51 AM 01-13-2014
My grandma used to say the same thing! Only it was "Toki, mutta jättää neljäsosa lipasto"

Parents don't often ask to use my bathroom but if they do, I don't mind. I just give the same warning as Luna...sometimes I haven't had a chance to clean up and none of my boys have a 100% accuracy rate....yet.
lovemykidstoo 11:56 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Parents don't often ask to use my bathroom but if they do, I don't mind. I just give the same warning as Luna...sometimes I haven't had a chance to clean up and none of my boys have a 100% accuracy rate....yet.
Same here. I usually tell them I don't mind, but please close your eyes while you do cause it might be a mess! Doesn't happen often, but I don't find it a problem. Now if it was every night and it was adding up to the time they spent here when I had things to do and places to go, then maybe it would irritate me.
Lucy 11:57 AM 01-13-2014
My grandma used to say the same thing! Only it was "Toki, mutta jättää neljäsosa lipasto"

Too funny... my Grandma didn't have a saying like that, but my husband does. Apparently inflation has changed it though. If someone mentions using the restroom, he says, "Got a dollar???"
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Too funny... my Grandma didn't have a saying like that, but my husband does. Apparently inflation has changed it though. If someone mentions using the restroom, he says, "Got a dollar???"
I guess it's time for a fee increase huh?

A dollar per use would probably have me "asking" parents if they need to use the bathroom....

Gotta drum up business wherever we can huh?
jenboo 12:07 PM 01-13-2014
It doesn't bother me. I just warn them that i havent cleaned it since the last kid was in there. Only two parents have asked to use it. One is preggo.
My sister uses it almost every day when picking up my niece (she is preggo too). But she uses my personal bathroom. no way would i let a dc parent in my bedroom/personal bathroom. Im not sure why she chooses to use that one though, its usually dirtier than the guest bathroom
Michael 02:25 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Mommyto4Kids:

To retrieve your account password: https://www.daycare.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw
e.j. 02:36 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Happily_wed:
I had a daycare mom once that was a teacher. She would come in every evening to pick up the kids and insist on washing her hands in my kitchen sink. Yuck! Icky school germs in my kitchen sink! I finally put out a bottle of hand sanitizer and would say " oh here's some sanitizer, just use it!"
I used to have a dcm who washed her hands in my kitchen sink everyday, too. Despite the fact that she had to walk right past my bathroom when she came in, she always made a beeline to the kitchen sink. Her pick up time fell right after our afternoon snack so usually, I had just cleared the table and the dishes and cups were still in the sink. In addition to the thought of all those germs grossing me out, there were days when the sink was full enough that the water from the faucet and her hands would rickashay off the plates and all over my countertop. She never seemed to even notice the mess she was making.

It bothered me but my son has ocd and it used to drive him absolutely crazy. It got to the point where he would offer to rinse the dishes and cups off for me so he'd have an excuse to block her from using the sink. She came in one day and actually had the nerve to ask him to move so she could wash her hands. While I've never encouraged my kids to be rude to anyone, much less a dcp, I had to work really hard at stifling a laugh when he told her, "There's a perfectly good sink in the bathroom if you want to use that."

As for the bathroom, I'm not thrilled when dc parents ask to use it but I can't imagine not allowing someone to use it if they have to go. Like Luna, I usually just warn them that they may have to flush first or watch for sprinkles on the seat.
Denise 03:07 PM 01-13-2014
You can always have the last laugh by putting a note in the medicine cabinet that says something like "sneaking a peek?" or "sneaky peeking is rude" LOL. You know they look ... everyone does.
AngiesCareXYZ 03:08 PM 01-13-2014
I have parents that use my bathroom all the time. They all know that they need to watch their step and that if they don't lock the door then the chances of the door opening is great. I have locks on all my cabinets in the bathroom. Most of the time there are water dribbles on the counter and when I have a potty training class I make sure to let the parent know to hurry it up cause when they gotta go they gotta go NOW! All of my parents are pretty awesome and understand that even though they think I'm Super Woman.... I'm really just another human. , so there will be messes. .
STARSHINE852 11:14 AM 01-14-2014
I dont mind if they use it.Just as long as they follow the rules of taking off their shoes
TwinKristi 12:19 PM 01-14-2014
Only one parent has asked and I know it's because she just sat in traffic from SF to my house an hour away. I always remind her it's the kids bathroom and I'm not sure what kind of surprises she may find at the end of the day! I used to use my DCP's bathroom, usually to get sick when I was pregnant or if I had a long drive from the city occasionally. For some reason my "morning" sickness always hit me at 5:15pm after getting off work and driving to her house. It was weird! Anyway, ours doesn't lock either so I warn people! LOL
dave4him 02:34 PM 01-14-2014
Oy. I have had that experience too.
Unregistered 04:36 PM 01-14-2014
My bathroom on main floor is practically at the front door. I always make sure it's clean and restocked,etc. No cabinet to sort through it snoop. I don't mind but I request they flush...lol
blandino 06:02 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am putting a stop to this, too. I am getting tiny sized potty for my daycare bathroom and the only other bath is on a different floor. "Sorry, I don't have an adult sized guest bath."
We have joked about this many many times.
blandino 06:05 PM 01-14-2014
This is one of my mom's (my partner) pet peeves. We used to have to walk from the daycare room through the house to get to the bathroom. We would let the kids do it, but we really like to keep our personal space personal. So when a parent would ask, it was very irritating. ESPECIALLY the parents who ask daily, I can see occasionally, but I don't get the daily thing.

Now, we have it so the daycare space connects to a bathroom, so it isn't as bothersome. But still odd to me that an adult can't wait until they get home.

And I still institute the rule that no un-toilet trained kids go in the bathroom, even with mom or dad. That is just asking for them to keep asking, so they can go somewhere they aren't normally allowed.
renodeb 01:18 PM 01-15-2014
I hear yeah, every time one of my dc parents has used my restroom something embarrasing has happened. Kid didnt flush, or a clog. One time a dad asked to use the restroom and as he flushed I could here that it was clogged and he came out (didnt wash) and said "your toilet is really clogged so I didnt flush". I try and keep a handle on that bathroom but sometimes I slack and thats when someone asks to use it. I have even had families come for interviews and ask to use my bathroom. (dont know why that weirds me out more. (guess it's cause I dont really know them). Luckily its not many times that they need to use it! Its usually more if I have pregnant moms!
mpb12 08:44 AM 01-17-2014
I don`t mind for them to use my bathroom. But no they can`t wash their hands in my kitchen sink. Do you guys have rules? It seems that a lot of you let parents stay around too long. I have rules for dropping off and picking up. It says: PLease, make it fast so we don`t disturb the group! I have 8 to 10 hours of work and I`m tired too. I have one parent that she insisted in sending her older son to my inside bathroom when we were playing outside, so I started to tell her to bring him to my outside pool house bathroom, it worked like magic, her older son does not have urges of peeing when around my house any longer. ...Remember,it`s your house if you don`t feel comfortable with something then you set your rules.
ihop 10:08 AM 01-17-2014
I was reading this the other day and thought to myself "what's the big deal. If you gotta go, you gotta go"

Then.... dcg's Sa sibling asked to use it. Sure no problem. He was in there 15 minutes while the other Sa kids rode their bikes around my car in circles

Well after they left, I went in there to make sure he didn't get into anything, and he has peed allllllll over the toilet and floor. He is 10!!!!! Learn to aim. It will be the first and last time I let anyone but dcks use it.
SSWonders 10:16 AM 01-17-2014

I tell them to leave a quarter too.
jenboo 10:58 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
I was reading this the other day and thought to myself "what's the big deal. If you gotta go, you gotta go"

Then.... dcg's Sa sibling asked to use it. Sure no problem. He was in there 15 minutes while the other Sa kids rode their bikes around my car in circles

Well after they left, I went in there to make sure he didn't get into anything, and he has peed allllllll over the toilet and floor. He is 10!!!!! Learn to aim. It will be the first and last time I let anyone but dcks use it.
eww!!

my 6 yr old nephew is not allowed to use the bathroom unsupervised at my house. He wouldn't aim good. But the last straw was when he put syrup alllllll over the toilet seat!!
He said the toilet seat was too slippery
Play Care 11:04 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:

This was my point. Everyone usually thinks the same thing until they find out a sibling stuffed the toilet full of paper towels, or the toilet clogs and no one says anything and you don't find out until there is water running out of the bathroom and down the hall...

I get a good chuckle out of the "what's the big deal" responses. I always think "just you wait"
MarinaVanessa 11:30 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Denise:
You can always have the last laugh by putting a note in the medicine cabinet that says something like "sneaking a peek?" or "sneaky peeking is rude" LOL. You know they look ... everyone does.
Or put a ruler along the edge of a shelf in the cabinet and then put marbles on the shelf. Close the medicine cabinet door and once its almost closed slide the ruler out slowly. The next time someone opens it the marbles will fall out and "plunk, plunk, plunk" all over the floor.

I'm so mean.
Play Care 01:24 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Or put a ruler along the edge of a shelf in the cabinet and then put marbles on the shelf. Close the medicine cabinet door and once its almost closed slide the ruler out slowly. The next time someone opens it the marbles will fall out and "plunk, plunk, plunk" all over the floor.

I'm so mean.
My luck I'd forget I did it and I'd be the one getting rained on by marbles
NeedaVaca 02:14 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

I'm so mean.
OMG I would totally do that if I had a medicine cabinet in my bathroom!! That's hilarious!
Janiam 02:26 PM 01-17-2014
I recently had dcg brother run in at pickup and pee all over the floor and trash can! Trying to find the words to post "not a public restroom" without being offensive. I dont't mind the occassional adult unless their in there for twenty minutes, then you kind of wonder what they're doing.
Starburst 03:01 PM 01-17-2014
At the church co-op I did my student teaching at they have a bathroom in the classroom that was just for the kids, it even had a sign that said that because of licensing the toilet was for kids only (15 children and 1 bathroom; licensing rules you need 1 toilet for every 15 people on the property; there were 3 adults every day including the teacher {4 if you include me}) and it said that the adults had to use the toilet in the church sanctuary.

There was one sink in the bathroom and one in the class room next to the bathroom door for cleaning up, so the sink wasn't as much of an issue.

That quarter or $1 might be justifiable around here because if it doesn't rain soon, CA (possibly other west coast states) might be in a drought this spring/summer. So for west coast providers there is a good scapegoat for water conservation or higher water bills. Of course, you can always blame licensing saying that your bathrooms are only for use of your daycare kids/ and your family/staff (could say because of the toilet capacity thing). You could also say your insurance won't allow it because of liability and will only cover your assistance and the kids enrolled. You know how many people sue businesses if they slip in the bathroom? Good thing about licensing and insurance, easy scape goats when you don't have the backbone or don't want to seem rude when enforcing personal reasons for rules.
Mister Sir Husband 05:15 PM 01-17-2014
My first thought is that I wouldn't really mind if parents occasionally need to use my bathroom. I mean suppose they are running late and stop somewhere else? Now they owe me a late fee of 10 bucks cause they had to pee.

But then again I am kinda not looking forward to them possible snooping in my cabinets. I do keep them locked so kids cant get in there, but adults are tall enough to open. I'm thinking maybe just stock them with some really weird stuff... ya know, almost almost to the point of embarrassment. Something like perhaps 20 boxes of condoms, a couple cases of adult diapers, maybe some fuzzy handcuffs.. I mean it WAS locked so the kids can't see it, and when the parents come out with that "oh my gosh" look on their face, I will know they peeked, and they will prolly know that I know, and unless they are brave enough to admit it and ask me why I have 36 jars of Vaseline in there... well my wife and I can chuckle about it after they have gone...
nannyde 06:21 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I used to have a dcm who washed her hands in my kitchen sink everyday, too. Despite the fact that she had to walk right past myathroom when she came in, she always made a beeline to the kitchen sink. Her pick up time fell right after our afternoon snack so usually, I had just cleared the table and the dishes and cups were still in the sink. In addition to the thought of all those germs grossing me out, there were days when the sink was full enough that the water from the faucet and her hands would rickashay off the plates and all over my countertop. She never seemed to even notice the mess she was making.

It bothered me but my son has ocd and it used to drive him absolutely crazy. It got to the point where he would offer to rinse the dishes and cups off for me so he'd have an excuse to block her from using the sink. She came in one day and actually had the nerve to ask him to move so she could wash her hands. While I've never encouraged my kids to be rude to anyone, much less a dcp, I had to work really hard at stifling a laugh when he told her, "There's a perfectly good sink in the bathroom if you want to use that."

As for the bathroom, I'm not thrilled when dc parents ask to use it but I can't imagine not allowing someone to use it if they have to go. Like Luna, I usually just warn them that they may have to flush first or watch for sprinkles on the seat.
I have heard of the insisting on using the kitchen sink. It is a dominance move.

Where is the heart of your home? The kitchen.

Where is the central part of that heart? The sink.

If they insist on taking over the kitchen sink they are putting themselves on top of the center of your home. They are taking over the single most important piece of real estate in the home.

They are showing you they are the top dog at that moment.

I don't allow parents in my kitchen. Nothing personal. I don't like anyone in it. Only exception is my helper who cleans the floors when she cleans the house.
KidGrind 06:50 AM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by Denise:
Funny idea! I just disagree with you. While visiting someone’s home I’ve never snuck a peek or even thought of it. I have with permission looked in a medicine with prior permission. My hope is most people do not snoop.

If it was a daily request, I wouldn’t mind. I have a client who insists I rinse her baby’s pacifier every time she picks up. The first couple of times, I went up back upstairs with a shrug. In spite of just rinsing it off or having taken it out of the baby’s mouth. The third time I literally questioned myself in my head, “What are you doing this extra B.S. for?!”

The third time I replied, “I just rinsed it off. I am not running up & down the stairs per your nuisances. Bring an extra pacifier at pick up, if you can’t trust it’s clean to your satisfaction. I also suggest you keep a pocket sized hand sanitizer. I am not bringing her downstairs for you to only need to travel upstairs and wash your hands. When you pick up, it your responsibility to be prepared. Thanks!”

I haven’t been asked to go back upstairs to rinse the pacifier off or received requests for hand washing. What tickles me is she is the same parent I had to instruct twice to use the infant car seat restraints. You drive around with your baby unfastened. Yet, you are worried about a pacifier being rinsed.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Funny idea! I just disagree with you. While visiting someone’s home I’ve never snuck a peek or even thought of it. I have with permission looked in a medicine with prior permission. My hope is most people do not snoop.

If it was a daily request, I wouldn’t mind. I have a client who insists I rinse her baby’s pacifier every time she picks up. The first couple of times, I went up back upstairs with a shrug. In spite of just rinsing it off or having taken it out of the baby’s mouth. The third time I literally questioned myself in my head, “What are you doing this extra B.S. for?!”

The third time I replied, “I just rinsed it off. I am not running up & down the stairs per your nuisances. Bring an extra pacifier at pick up, if you can’t trust it’s clean to your satisfaction. I also suggest you keep a pocket sized hand sanitizer. I am not bringing her downstairs for you to only need to travel upstairs and wash your hands. When you pick up, it your responsibility to be prepared. Thanks!”

I haven’t been asked to go back upstairs to rinse the pacifier off or received requests for hand washing. What tickles me is she is the same parent I had to instruct twice to use the infant car seat restraints. You drive around with your baby unfastened. Yet, you are worried about a pacifier being rinsed.
I don't allow pacifiers to be brought back and forth.

I require any child that uses one to bring a new one upon enrollment and then it gets left here for me to be in charge of.

If parents have any hang-ups about sterilization etc...
I don't want any part of it. Plus, hauling it back and forth is just gross IMHO.

I'll handle things on my watch, they can handle things on theirs.
Annalee 09:41 AM 01-18-2014
I don't allow pacifiers to be brought back and forth.

I require any child that uses one to bring a new one upon enrollment and then it gets left here for me to be in charge of.

If parents have any hang-ups about sterilization etc...
I don't want any part of it. Plus, hauling it back and forth is just gross IMHO.

I'll handle things on my watch, they can handle things on theirs.
Amazing how little things like this make our dc lives much easier.
e.j. 01:14 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have heard of the insisting on using the kitchen sink. It is a dominance move.

Where is the heart of your home? The kitchen.

Where is the central part of that heart? The sink.

If they insist on taking over the kitchen sink they are putting themselves on top of the center of your home. They are taking over the single most important piece of real estate in the home.

They are showing you they are the top dog at that moment.

I don't allow parents in my kitchen. Nothing personal. I don't like anyone in it. Only exception is my helper who cleans the floors when she cleans the house.
Interesting take on this! I never gave it any thought beyond just the annoyance I felt with her but you know, when I think about it.....you're right on the mark! Ultimately, it was her attempts to control or "dominate" that got this family booted from my program.
SignMeUp 05:30 PM 05-20-2014
Okay I'll dredge up the old thread

If using the kitchen sink is a dominance move, then my recently-departed child care family thought the bathroom was the center of my house

I swear, they used that bathroom more than I did Mom, dad, school-aged sibling. Crimenently

And YES it did bother me.
Meeko 06:01 PM 05-20-2014
I used to do daycare in a separate home. I had one mom who would pick up right at 6PM when I close. She would stand on the doorstep like a two year old with her legs crossed and say "Sorry! I HAVE to use the bathroom" She would trot off and her 3 year old (and over-indulged) would follow and cry outside the bathroom door. mom would open it. Then I would hear "Oh leave that alone sweetie!" "Don't open the drawers!" It was the daycare kids bathroom and nothing dangerous in the drawers etc...but the kid knew better.

Her mom would then send her out.

Meanwhile, my son and I were by the door waiting to go home. Girl would then start taking out toys...... mom would come out of the bathroom and cheerfully exclaim "Oh we can't do that sweetie! let's clean up!"

Etc.etc.etc........

I stopped it cold by locking up and being outside waiting with the car running. She would say "OH no! I needed the bathroom!" I just smiled and said "Oh sorry! All locked up for the night and alarm set! (We didn't have one ) You're only 10 minutes from home!

She gave up asking after a couple times.
SignMeUp 07:06 PM 05-20-2014
Oh yes, all of that. Mine lived two blocks away. SA sibling had to use the bathroom almost every day (for #2!) after getting off the bus by their house. Grrr. Go. At. Home. I mean, really, what is that about?
It seemed like they were marking their spot.
No! It's MY spot
Tags:bathroom issues, parents - ask too much
Reply Up