Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Who Use You as a Babysitter
Indoorvoice 11:12 AM 02-26-2019
I know we've talked a lot about what parents do when after they drop off is no big deal as long as they pay and pick up on time. I'm usually in the camp of just not caring. I'm curious what your thoughts are in this situation:

I have 2 families who work 2 days but contract for a whole week. They do pay on time and pretty much follow the rules. They have been increasingly using me on their off days as sort of a drop in Babysitter: dropping their kids off for only a few hours those days on short notice. I'm NOT complaining! But it has been hard to get their kids on a routine and keep my routine for everyone else because the hours are never the same and I never know which days are off days. I've tried implementing having them give me a schedule each week but it is NOT working, mostly because I have a hard time issuing fees for not following my schedule when they're dropping off late and picking up early most days of the week. I feel silly complaining, because I get full pay for only a few hours of work, but I don't want to be a babysitter, I want to have a daycare with routine and activities. I kind of feel they should be paying someone babysitter prices if that's what they need. I don't know. Discuss with me!
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I know we've talked a lot about what parents do when after they drop off is no big deal as long as they pay and pick up on time. I'm usually in the camp of just not caring. I'm curious what your thoughts are in this situation:

I have 2 families who work 2 days but contract for a whole week. They do pay on time and pretty much follow the rules. They have been increasingly using me on their off days as sort of a drop in Babysitter: dropping their kids off for only a few hours those days on short notice. I'm NOT complaining! But it has been hard to get their kids on a routine and keep my routine for everyone else because the hours are never the same and I never know which days are off days. I've tried implementing having them give me a schedule each week but it is NOT working, mostly because I have a hard time issuing fees for not following my schedule when they're dropping off late and picking up early most days of the week. I feel silly complaining, because I get full pay for only a few hours of work, but I don't want to be a babysitter, I want to have a daycare with routine and activities. I kind of feel they should be paying someone babysitter prices if that's what they need. I don't know. Discuss with me!
If they don't provide a schedule (even for those "off work" days) they don't get care. PERIOD.

If they want only a few hours, fine by me as I still charge their same weekly rate but if they schedule off on say a Wednesday, I don't allow them to call and say they now need me. Too bad so sad.

Schedule ANY of the days you want/pay for etc but if you don't schedule you don't get space.

If they begin to schedule all 5 days and then start cancelling last minute, I stop that by saying X amount of absences allowed per week or the option of using the full week is no longer allowed.

SCHEDULE. It's just not that hard.

They aren't doing that because you aren't making them.
....asking isn't making them do it. kwim?
Indoorvoice 11:26 AM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If they don't provide a schedule (even for those "off work" days) they don't get care. PERIOD.

If they want only a few hours, fine by me as I still charge their same weekly rate but if they schedule off on say a Wednesday, I don't allow them to call and say they now need me. Too bad so sad.

Schedule ANY of the days you want/pay for etc but if you don't schedule you don't get space.

If they begin to schedule all 5 days and then start cancelling last minute, I stop that by saying X amount of absences allowed per week or the option of using the full week is no longer allowed.

SCHEDULE. It's just not that hard.

They aren't doing that because you aren't making them.
....asking isn't making them do it. kwim?
Yes! That's what they're doing! They schedule the whole week for the hours they're contracted me for and then will show up on a say Tuesday and say "I'm off work today but I have to go to the salon. I'll be back maybe around noon." So I'm expecting a normal week on Sunday when they schedule and then all of a sudden it's not.

So they're still showing up every day, but most days only for a few hours. But they gladly pay the whole week..so? I guess I just don't worry about it?
Indoorvoice 11:29 AM 02-26-2019
ALSO: I want their jobs! That kind of flexibility would be amazing. I had to rearrange my entire life and get a sub so I could get a desperately needed haircut this evening.
Cat Herder 11:43 AM 02-26-2019
I guess I just don't worry about it?
Are they coming after drop-off cutoff time? Are they picking up during nap or meal times?

Those are the things I would toughen up on.
Indoorvoice 11:53 AM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Are they coming after drop-off cutoff time? Are they picking up during nap or meal times?

Those are the things I would toughen up on.
I cracked down on no dropping off after 9. They do pick up during nap time a lot, but it's not a huge deal since their babies don't typically nap the whole time the big kids do anyway and it's quieter to have them leave than to have the babies here awake so I have allowed it. I'm more annoyed that I feel like they just do this to exert their power and because I'm easier than a babysitter. So I think from discussing with you guys,that it's apparent it's a personal problem and not an urgent one. Just annoying. Hire a babysitter and pay $10/hr like everyone else!
Indoorvoice 11:59 AM 02-26-2019
Ideally BC, I would like them to give me a schedule like, Mon:7:30-5, TUE: 8:30:2 Wed: 7:30-4, etc...

But instead on Sunday they schedule me everyday 7:30-5 but then just actually use me when they need me. It's complicated because I can't really dock them for dropping off later or picking up earlier when it's in my parameters. I don't know if they actually know when their days off are or what.
springv 12:28 PM 02-26-2019
This is why we quit taking part timers at our center because we never knew what days they were coming and not coming plus we never knew on a daily basis how many kids we would have that day
Indoorvoice 12:38 PM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
This is why we quit taking part timers at our center because we never knew what days they were coming and not coming plus we never knew on a daily basis how many kids we would have that day
I get it! These people are supposed to be full time,they just never use it! I prefer full timers so I can plan!
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 02-26-2019
Ideally BC, I would like them to give me a schedule like, Mon:7:30-5, TUE: 8:30:2 Wed: 7:30-4, etc...

But instead on Sunday they schedule me everyday 7:30-5 but then just actually use me when they need me. It's complicated because I can't really dock them for dropping off later or picking up earlier when it's in my parameters. I don't know if they actually know when their days off are or what.

I would do as CatHerder said and shore up the rules/policies in regards to nap time pick up.

As for the schedule being a simple 7:30-5:00 across the board, I'd do one of a couple things...

A) Either pay attention to their actual time used each week and then invoice accordingly and don't allow time outside of what they actually used.

"Hey Jones family you only used care until 3:00 each day although you scheduled until 5:00. After this next week, services will only be available until 3:00 for your family unless you request services beyond 3:00 on specific days."

OR

B) you can plead with parents the fact that submitting a blanket schedule is not only lazy but disrespectful to you as a care provider since you do not get schedule breaks or lunch periods etc... and have due to the blanket schedules you are unable to schedule anything personal for yourself or your family.

OR

C) Charge according to pick up time. (I do this) and make the cost of picking up after 3:00 MORE.

OR

D) Charge a fee for drop offs/pick ups 15 minutes before or after their schedule.

Personally the easiest would be explaining to parents AND going with option D.

I know what you mean about shorter days and still being paid but sometimes as we all know, it really isn't about the money as much as it is about respect, juggling multiple schedules and time management.

It's annoying when we are "stuck" all day and then not only being stuck but not having the schedule followed.

storybookending 12:45 PM 02-26-2019
Could you blame it on the food program? That you’re required to have so much of each item on hand for each child and are ending up with a ton of waste. Like even if you don’t participate tell them that if they schedule for 7-5 but don’t end up coming that any meals they miss they will be billed for in addition to their weekly payment to cover loss of income on wasted food. Or a supply fee for planned activities and wasted materials?

I have a mom that while she doesn’t pay for days her child isn’t here if she forgets to tell me she pays for the whole day anyways because she knows I had planned to have her child there and have food and extra needed supplies for the day already purchased/printed and ready to go by the Thursday before when I do my shoppingand planning for the following week.
Mom2Two 01:40 PM 02-26-2019
Bare minimum I would want notification before opening each day. I would not like folk showing up at my door. It's disrespectful, especially if the kids are under two years of age.

I would just tell them that you need to make plans for the day.

I find it hard to push the cat back into the bag once I've let it out. Maybe just push it back one step at a time until it's more bearable.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up