Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Nannyde Rate Structure Question?

I am getting ready to open a home daycare again after relocating. Being more experienced this time round, I would like to get things right (or as right as possible) from the start.

My contract and parent handbook have been strengthened. Where I'm getting caught up on is my rate structure. I would like to impliment a Nannydeish way. I believe this would attrack parents with earlier departure times, and encourage parents to pick up before my closing time.

My rates based on departure times would be as follows:

3:00 - $130.00/week
3:30 - $140.00/week
4:00 - $150.00/week
4:30 - $160.00/week
5:00 - $170.00/week

Now I'm trying to prepare for issues that come up with this. Say a parent in the 3:30 time slot needs a pick up of 5:00 one day the next week. Easy enough, I charge them $170.00 for the week. What if they then decide to pick up their child at 5:00 everyday that next week? Should I set a limit on how many times you can arrange a late pick up before being permently moved to a later time slot for the duration of their contract. What is a reasonable number of times to allow a later departure time change before doing a new contract with them? Anyone else run into any troubles with this kind of rate structure? I'm really thinking this would work in my area, and help attrack the kind of clients I am seeking. I just want to make sure I'm ready for any kind of issues that may come up with it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM
MommieNana4's Avatar
MommieNana4 MommieNana4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 134
Default

I only have a weekly fee for 10 hours of care (daily). I would not do refunds or put the overage amount to the next week's bill. It is not your issue that they cannot manage their schedule for whatever reason. I would make it known up front that you don't do refunds!!! You do not need the extra accounting work!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

I don't have any problems with the graduated rate scale. If I had a contracted three p.m departure and they wanted a later departure one day the next week I would just have them pay an extra five dollars per hour on Friday the week before. If they ended up not using it they would not be able to transfer it to another time.

I don't have any issues with people just contracting for the earlier departure and then just scheduling on a day to day basis time after their contracted time. I don't guarantee any scheduled overtime so if they are an early pick up and repeatedly ask for later times then I would make sure I said no a couple of times. If they want a GUARANTEE they get the later departure they have to contract for that time and pay it every week.

I've had a number of folks just contract for the lastest possible departure (not exceeding nine hour days) and then come when they want after nap. This brings me extra money and I get off early some days.

I've had great success with this rate structure. I would love to see it become a standard. It nets early departing kids who get more AWAKE time with their parents every day and a lessening census of kids as the day gets later. We get a lot of stuff done after four thirty because we are down to just a couple of kids.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thank you, that helps clear up some of my "what if" senarios!

I really want to get all my wording clear in the handbook, so that things are crystal clear from the get go. It sure is fun trying to cover everything you can think of, so there are no surprises down the road. While at the same time keeping things clear and concise, so that you don't loose them 15 pages in : )
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,043
Default

Why are you charging parents more though when they work later times. They are still working the 9 hours that you like but start work later so they have to work later. I would be very upset if I found out I was being charged more because my work time was different than someone elses. For a child to leave at 3 they have to be here at 6 to have the 9 hours! I would rather have a child here later than early and be cranky.

The world revolves more on 8-5 jobs than 6-3. I think the child would still have the same amount of awake time with a parent as one working late because the one arriving early probably goes to bed earlier and still doesn't get alot of awake time.

I guess I never knew that was your reasoning for the rate scale. If it works for you it works but I know with the jobs for my specific area it wouldn't go.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
Why are you charging parents more though when they work later times. They are still working the 9 hours that you like but start work later so they have to work later. I would be very upset if I found out I was being charged more because my work time was different than someone elses. For a child to leave at 3 they have to be here at 6 to have the 9 hours! I would rather have a child here later than early and be cranky.

The world revolves more on 8-5 jobs than 6-3. I think the child would still have the same amount of awake time with a parent as one working late because the one arriving early probably goes to bed earlier and still doesn't get alot of awake time.

I guess I never knew that was your reasoning for the rate scale. If it works for you it works but I know with the jobs for my specific area it wouldn't go.
http://www.daycare.com/nannyde/how-t...care-rates.htm

http://www.daycare.com/nannyde/quali...tm#comment-384



These two blogs explain my position on rates and schedules.

When a kid comes in at six a.m. they go right back to bed and sleep the first couple of hours they are here. Their total number of "direct care" hours are less than a child who is here until five pm.

If a kid arrives at six a.m. they sleep until 8 a.m. They leave by 3 p.m. so they have no up time from three till five.

A kid that arrives at 8 p.m. has awake time from 8 am. to nap (4.5 hours) plus from 3 p.m. to 5 (2 hours) So we are supervising them awake for 6.5 hours

A six a.m. kid is awake from 8 to nap (4.5 hours) and then no after nap awake time. So we are supervising them awake for 4.5 hours.

I do my rates based on direct care hours (up to nine total hours) per day.

Note: I require all infants to be fed and changed before they come so they go back to sleep right when they arrive. (it takes a few weeks to get newborns on this so YMMV for the very young but 100 percent of them adjust within a few weeks. I don't allow parents to do the "she wouldn't eat" or "she pooped on the way" to have the first morning feed here or first diaper change here. They agree to bring their child fed and changed before they sign up to come here)

All early arrivals go right back to bed when they arrive. All children under two take a morning nap right when they arrive. I do "second" breakfast so the kids who arrive before 8 eat breakfast at home before they come. We do a second breakfast around 8:15ish when all the kids are here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I do believe this rate structure would work in my area, or I would not attempt it. This structure works for me as I am an early riser, and my intension is partly to attract other early riser families. While I will work 6am-5pm in order to meet my financial obligations as a single mom, however if I can gain more quality time with my own child I'm happy to do so.
I understand it is a structure that would not work for everyone. I can only provide care for 5 children. I would need to have 3 fulltime children at the lowest rate in order to make ends meet. I feel confident that there would be a few families in my area that would benifit from my rate structure.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,156
Default

I can see it working in my area, maybe for earlier pickups. I am actually thinking about this on my next yrs. contract- or making a note of it in next Fall's newsletter- I will give breaks for early pick ups everyday. Possibly a $5.00 disc. per week, by picking up earlier. Such as:
Picking up at 3:45- 4:00- 4:15. I just don't know what to set it at, only go in increments of 1/2 hrs. Is that what you do nannyde. I can't quite remember what times you do.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2girls View Post
I can see it working in my area, maybe for earlier pickups. I am actually thinking about this on my next yrs. contract- or making a note of it in next Fall's newsletter- I will give breaks for early pick ups everyday. Possibly a $5.00 disc. per week, by picking up earlier. Such as:
Picking up at 3:45- 4:00- 4:15. I just don't know what to set it at, only go in increments of 1/2 hrs. Is that what you do nannyde. I can't quite remember what times you do.
http://www.daycare.com/nannyde/how-t...care-rates.htm

This blog explains it. Rates are based on fifteen minute increments for full time and part time.

It works very well. You will be surprised how many people can adjust their schedules to accomodate the early pick ups when money is the difference. The earlier the pick up the more face time the parents get with their children. Quantity time
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
You will be surprised how many people can adjust their schedules to accomodate the early pick ups when money is the difference.
. I went from having ALL my dck's for 99% of my open hours to now actually being done anywhere from a half hour to a full hour earlier at least once or twice a week.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Kim's Avatar
Kim Kim is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 140
Default

I have a family that a parent works 3 full days and 2 half days- M,W,F is a 5:30 pick up and T,Th is a 3:00 pick up. How does it work if a parent has this type of schedule?

Also are the rates for any age or do you charge additional for infants?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I have a family that a parent works 3 full days and 2 half days- M,W,F is a 5:30 pick up and T,Th is a 3:00 pick up. How does it work if a parent has this type of schedule?

Also are the rates for any age or do you charge additional for infants?
All rates the same. No infant rate.

It would be my base rate for the three p.m. departure plus one dollar per every fifteen minutes thereafter for the three days that it's 5:30 p.m.

So if I charged a 100 per week for a three p.m. departure it would be

Tuesday and Thursday would be 20 dollars per day.

Monday Wednesday and Friday would be base rate of 20 per day plus the additional 10 dollars per day for the ten -fifteen minute blocks after three p.m. (I charge one dollar for every fifteen minutes after three p.m. in addition to the base rate. These guys would be using a total of ten fifteen minute blocks in addition to the base rate three times per week.)

So it would be 40 total for Tuesday and Thursday and 30 dollars per day for the Monday ... weds.. and friday

90+40 = 130 per week.

That would be the rate if they didn't go over nine hours. If they went over nine hours it would be an additional four dollars per hour for every hour in addition to the nine hour base rate.

Takes a little bit to figure out but it comes down to a base rate for a nine hour day with the fee increasing a dollar for every fifteen minutes after three p.m. and an additional four dollars an hour if the base rate nine hour day is exceeded.

Like black said... you will find yourself either working less hours or making more money... win win for you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
themoorethemerrier's Avatar
themoorethemerrier themoorethemerrier is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: WNY
Posts: 161
Default

I would love to make this work for my situation, too, but I do mostly before and after-schoolers.

These are my rates right now - WWYD? http://themoorethemerrierfamilydayca...formation.html

(Forgive me for not being able to work through this on my own I've got post-surgery brain. )
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Kim's Avatar
Kim Kim is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
All rates the same. No infant rate.

It would be my base rate for the three p.m. departure plus one dollar per every fifteen minutes thereafter for the three days that it's 5:30 p.m.

So if I charged a 100 per week for a three p.m. departure it would be

Tuesday and Thursday would be 20 dollars per day.

Monday Wednesday and Friday would be base rate of 20 per day plus the additional 10 dollars per day for the ten -fifteen minute blocks after three p.m. (I charge one dollar for every fifteen minutes after three p.m. in addition to the base rate. These guys would be using a total of ten fifteen minute blocks in addition to the base rate three times per week.)

So it would be 40 total for Tuesday and Thursday and 30 dollars per day for the Monday ... weds.. and friday

90+40 = 130 per week.

That would be the rate if they didn't go over nine hours. If they went over nine hours it would be an additional four dollars per hour for every hour in addition to the nine hour base rate.

Takes a little bit to figure out but it comes down to a base rate for a nine hour day with the fee increasing a dollar for every fifteen minutes after three p.m. and an additional four dollars an hour if the base rate nine hour day is exceeded.

Like black said... you will find yourself either working less hours or making more money... win win for you.
That makes sense. I had to reread it a few times and get the calculator in order for it to make sense but it does now LOL.

If set my rates on a scale like the one Nannyde uses based on times the kids "could" be picked up I would be making the same amount each week as I currently am making. I am seriously considering going to this rate system. Right now I have 2 kids that could be leaving earlier but I still have a few families where it wouldn't make a difference because of their work schedules.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
If set my rates on a scale like the one Nannyde uses based on times the kids "could" be picked up I would be making the same amount each week as I currently am making.
And there it is.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Sprouts's Avatar
Sprouts Sprouts is offline
Licensed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 801
Default

And what is your opening hours? I use the same structure as well, my opening time is 7:30 but not every parent will drop off at that time. Black cat gave me the advice to not mention the opening time to parents but I did have a parent ask if the rate changes with a later drop off time, I replied no, any other advice about that?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
And what is your opening hours? I use the same structure as well, my opening time is 7:30 but not every parent will drop off at that time. Black cat gave me the advice to not mention the opening time to parents but I did have a parent ask if the rate changes with a later drop off time, I replied no, any other advice about that?
I am sure Nan will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the point is to simply pick up earlier in the day not base the rates off the number of hours they use.

For example if a parent drops off at 7:30 a.m. when you open and picks up at 3:00 a.m., they will pay the same rate as a parent who drops off at 9:00 a.m. and also picks up at 3:00 p.m.

So in your case where a parent aske dabout the rate changing because of a later drop off time, the answer would be "no, the rate doesn't change because it is based on pick up time not based on hours used."

Hope that makes sense. I too, have parents dropping off at multiple times but their rates are all still based on what time they pick up. (that is the only time I am concerned about)

If they want to get more for their money then they could drop off earlier/the minute I open.

I would rather have all my daycare kids the first hour I am open than have them all the last hour before I am done for the day. kwim?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I am sure Nan will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the point is to simply pick up earlier in the day not base the rates off the number of hours they use.

For example if a parent drops off at 7:30 a.m. when you open and picks up at 3:00 a.m., they will pay the same rate as a parent who drops off at 9:00 a.m. and also picks up at 3:00 p.m.

So in your case where a parent aske dabout the rate changing because of a later drop off time, the answer would be "no, the rate doesn't change because it is based on pick up time not based on hours used."

Hope that makes sense. I too, have parents dropping off at multiple times but their rates are all still based on what time they pick up. (that is the only time I am concerned about)

If they want to get more for their money then they could drop off earlier/the minute I open.

I would rather have all my daycare kids the first hour I am open than have them all the last hour before I am done for the day. kwim?
yes as long as they don't exceed nine hours the rate is the same regardless of drop off time
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,156
Default

I never, I repeat, never give my opening and closing times to anyone, over the phone, email, etc... I don't have any. I provide daycare for work and commute times only. I know in my area, the teachers could get off earlier, if they were rewarded for picking up earlier. I might casually bring this up in a newsletter and see what kind of response I would receive from it. I know the teachers are all off between 3:15 and 3:30 here. They are all within 15 min. of drive time from my house. One of them is about 7-8 min. away.
I know they could be here before 4:30, but they just always come between 4:15-4:30.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 AM
mim's Avatar
mim mim is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In my home
Posts: 130
Default

I know this is an OLD post, but im changing to contracted hours with rates dependent on drop off and pick up times. before 7am is extra and after 4 is extra. My only problem is the wording for my contract. I have found myself over wording everything and so it no longer makes any sense. I accept F/T and P?T care. IF a parent wants part time they have to have the same scheduled days each week. If they rotate then they have to pay for a F/T spot. I want to make sure they know that they have to pay for the same amount of days each week.
Here is my wording now and it does not make any sense. I don't think anyway.

RATES
Rates reflect each child’s schedule and each family may have a different schedule and rate plan. Therefore my rates are not to be discussed with other families or potential families.

There will be a flat tuition rate according to your child’s contracted hours. You will be required to fill out your child’s schedule and those will become the only hours care is available for your child. That will also become your weekly rate. If your schedule changes each week I will give you a copy of the rate sheet and you will need to submit your schedule as well as payment by pick up time the last day of the week your child attends for the following pay period. Knowing exactly when to expect children to arrive and when they will be picked up helps me to make meal and activity plans. Rates are based on drop off and pick up times, not actual attendance. You pay for a slot so your scheduled days will be the same each week regardless if your child will be off one day during a week or not. The tuition is paid 52 weeks a year regardless of attendance. Tuition is due in advance for the following pay period. Payment must be made by pick up time the last day your child attends for the week.

I do not offer an hourly rate. Anytime your child attends will be considered a full day regardless of the hours attended.
These rates are based on the child’s drop off and pick up times contracted for the week and not by actual attendance. No credit will be given for late drop offs or early pickups.
All rates are based on enrollment not attendance. You are required to submit a written schedule with your payment by pick up time the last day of the week your child attends, for the upcoming care period. If your schedule will remain the same each week, then I only need one schedule needs to be submitted and your rate will remain the same each week. Any changes to that schedule must be submitted in writing as soon as possible and the provider will do what she can to accommodate the new schedule. However there is no guarantee that provider will be able to accommodate a schedule that changes from what both parties previously agreed to in this contract. You are able to set your child’s schedule therefor it is expected that you adhere to the times you contract. There is no grace period for drop off or pick up time, please take into consideration travel times when you make your schedule. Other children may be scheduled to be here when your child is not so please adhere to your contracted schedule.
If care is needed before 7:00am or after 4:00pm there is an additional charge of $2.50 per child, per hour or portion thereof. If at any time you pay the additional fees for hours outside of 7-4 and you do not use that time, it will not carry over to another day nor will a refund be given. You are paying for a spot, not actual attendance. You will have a set weekly schedule for days and rate will be calculated by contracted drop off and pick up times, but you are able to change your contracted drop off and pick up times weekly. For ex. You need care M-Th until 5pm but on Tues next week you will pick up by 4pm so you save $5 off next week’s tuition.

These are the rates for hours between 7am-4pm any time earlier than 7am or later than 4pm is $2.50 per hour or potion thereof. No refunds or carry over will be given if additional time scheduled and paid for is not used.

Here I have a grid with the age and base rates.

Please fill out contracted days to remain the same each week and approximate times you will need care if your schedule changes weekly. You will then fill out a weekly contracted schedule and submit with payment. If schedule is the same each week then this will serve as your master contracted schedule each week.

Here I have them fill out their scheduled days and hours

Please notate weekly set rate here: __________________________________

Sorry if it doesn't make any sense. I definitely need help wording this.

TYIA

Last edited by mim; 07-22-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: fixing paragraph lay out
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 AM
mim's Avatar
mim mim is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In my home
Posts: 130
Default

Ok I posted before reading one of Nannyde's blogs. I understand the wording for the contract now, but I don't understand if the rate sheet is separate from the contract or if it is all in the contract, because I thought it had to be in the contract to be legally binding? Or can I just attach the rate sheet to the contract and have the parent sign it?
And do ou give them a copy of the rate sheet so that they can reference it each week when figuring out their hours and the amount they need to pay?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
Ok I posted before reading one of Nannyde's blogs. I understand the wording for the contract now, but I don't understand if the rate sheet is separate from the contract or if it is all in the contract, because I thought it had to be in the contract to be legally binding? Or can I just attach the rate sheet to the contract and have the parent sign it?
And do ou give them a copy of the rate sheet so that they can reference it each week when figuring out their hours and the amount they need to pay?
My handbook is one separate thing. Parents agree to the policies and sign off.

My rate sheet is also separate and has it's own contract page where parents sign and agree to the rate.

So in each persons file, I have a signed agreement in regards to program policies and signed agreement in regards to rates and payment dates.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

I have the policies and contract.

They are not together. The contract doesn't have the rate table on it. I just keep track of the yearly rate table for the year they enrolled so if there is a schedule change I pull it out and calculate the rate change. My parents know the rate before they even ask for a schedule change. My base rate starts at three pm and is a dollar per every fifteen minutes extra after three. If they go over the nine hours it is an additional five dollars plus the rate for that time slot per day.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have a rate sheet for prospective families.
I have a policy book that includes general policy on when payment is due, holidays etc.
(Nowhere close to as wordy as yours though)

The contract does NOT spell out every possible rate configuration. It says Parents X & Y agree to pay Provider P $XXX per week for xxx hours/days. And any other time used incurs additional fees.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 AM
mim's Avatar
mim mim is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In my home
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
My handbook is one separate thing. Parents agree to the policies and sign off.

My rate sheet is also separate and has it's own contract page where parents sign and agree to the rate.

So in each persons file, I have a signed agreement in regards to program policies and signed agreement in regards to rates and payment dates.
BC, you let me reference your rate sheet and I understand it now, because there is more than one page. LOL I don't think I looked that far before. Sorry about that. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 AM
mim's Avatar
mim mim is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In my home
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
I have the policies and contract.

They are not together. The contract doesn't have the rate table on it. I just keep track of the yearly rate table for the year they enrolled so if there is a schedule change I pull it out and calculate the rate change. My parents know the rate before they even ask for a schedule change. My base rate starts at three pm and is a dollar per every fifteen minutes extra after three. If they go over the nine hours it is an additional five dollars plus the rate for that time slot per day.
Nannyde,
Thank you.
Do the parents have a set schedule for drop off and pick up every day and every week or does it vary?
If it varies, how do they know how much to pay the next week? Do you give them a copy of the rate sheet so they can figure it out? Do you make them have a set schedule and then if they need an additional hour here or there do you make them request it for over time?
Also 9 hours would be 6am drop off if they leave at 3. Are you always just available at 6am no matter what or what? How does that work?
What if they need drop off before 6 on occasion, How do you handle that?

I am just trying to give parents incentives to pick up early at least sometimes, but if I charge the 5pm rate for the whole week even though could pick up at 4 every day but one a week, then I think they would leave the kid here til 5 everyday since that is the rate they pay for. kwim?
That is why I am wanting to kind of add it on per day, for additional hours if its not needed every day, but don't know how to word it and if I should just let them figure it out weekl from their copy of the rate sheet.
I know I am probably making this harder than it really is, I just know my dcp and it they are charged til 5 regardless, they will bring them til 5 even if it wastes gas and such.



Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 AM
Rachel's Avatar
Rachel Rachel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 605
Default

I have open hours (no choice, required by my agency), but my .02 is this.
If the time is more important to you than the money, I would charge them the early pickup weekly rate, and add in $X so they can pickup at Y time on Z day. I would not let them change it. Yes, you can pay the $120 rate for 3pm pickup all week, and an extra $10 because on Tuesday you are picking up at 4:30. Your weekly rate is $130. I wouldn't let them switch Tuesday for Wednesday. Rate is $130 a week including a late Tuesday pickup.

If the money is more important than the time, charge them the higher rate but know they might use the later pickup all week.

If they don't need the same day all the time, or sometimes need and sometimes don't, I would charge a higher rate for a 1 time late pickup, and tell them tehy need to ask you 24 hours in advance if you have space and reserve (and pay) for it then.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 AM
mim's Avatar
mim mim is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In my home
Posts: 130
Default

Thank you Rachel.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:14 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

If I have a family that needs mixed departure times I do this.

Let's say the 3 pm departure is 100 a week and the 5 pm is 150


A fam needs three 5pm departures and two 3pm departures.

I would charge 40 for the two three pms and 90 for the 5pms.

There total would be 130 per week.

100 a week for five days is 20 per day. They need two of those so 20+20=40

150 a week is 30 a day and they need three of those so that would be 90.

90+40=130
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 PM
mim's Avatar
mim mim is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In my home
Posts: 130
Default

Thank you Nannyde.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 AM
coolconfidentme's Avatar
coolconfidentme coolconfidentme is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,536
Default

I really like this idea. I just dropped our night shift & think this will work for me too. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 AM
coolconfidentme's Avatar
coolconfidentme coolconfidentme is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,536
Default

Nannyde..., You do still have a rate per minute for the client who is late past contracted time, correct? I'm wording my rate structure to emphasize that. A fresh bone would be nice if you can throw me one.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

so do you have to figure out their fees every week?

how do you track this and when do you bill them?

do they submit the schedule by a certain day of the week and then you bill them and they have to pay by a certain date?

I have been thinking about doing this.

Especially since I found out that my latest pick up that has two kids and last family to pick up could pick up earlier but aren't. They basically use the most hours that my time allows, which is fine, but if I could get off work earlier that would be great!!!!

sorry for all of the questions
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-24-2014, 11:30 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme View Post
Nannyde..., You do still have a rate per minute for the client who is late past contracted time, correct? I'm wording my rate structure to emphasize that. A fresh bone would be nice if you can throw me one.
My late policy is "don't do it". I don't charge for it because they know I term for it. If they ask for late and I approve it is a dollar a minute. I earn about thirty dollars a year in late fees.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
so do you have to figure out their fees every week?

how do you track this and when do you bill them?

do they submit the schedule by a certain day of the week and then you bill them and they have to pay by a certain date?

I have been thinking about doing this.

Especially since I found out that my latest pick up that has two kids and last family to pick up could pick up earlier but aren't. They basically use the most hours that my time allows, which is fine, but if I could get off work earlier that would be great!!!!

sorry for all of the questions
No I don't do weekly bill. They contract for latest possible pick up each day. They pay that each week. In the example I gave their fee would be 130 every week. If they have a schedule change it must be approved one month in advance if it is a fee lowering rate. If it increases the rate the approval time is two weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
coolconfidentme's Avatar
coolconfidentme coolconfidentme is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
My late policy is "don't do it". I don't charge for it because they know I term for it. If they ask for late and I approve it is a dollar a minute. I earn about thirty dollars a year in late fees.
I saw the "don't do it" in your column. I giggled.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-24-2014, 03:19 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme View Post
I saw the "don't do it" in your column. I giggled.
It works SO well. I kid you not.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-24-2014, 03:29 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
No I don't do weekly bill. They contract for latest possible pick up each day. They pay that each week. In the example I gave their fee would be 130 every week. If they have a schedule change it must be approved one month in advance if it is a fee lowering rate. If it increases the rate the approval time is two weeks.
I see. I would love to see how your contract is worded. Of course I am sure this would come with a fee from the guru........
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I see. I would love to see how your contract is worded. Of course I am sure this would come with a fee from the guru........
Yes it would but a fair fee. I will review yours and set you up a quick glance rate table too if you need it.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,301
Default

Wow, I wish it would fly here. I'm in an area where families can always find somebody cheaper, and can accommodate their schedules. Daycares are begging for kids.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rate - structure

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat Rate Question Country Kids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 06-25-2012 07:10 PM
Nannyde I Have A Question For You....Others I Want Your Thoughts Too.. daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 33 03-03-2011 01:27 PM
Rate Question care-care Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 01-24-2011 05:18 AM
Question About Rate PAMommy1228 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 32 11-19-2010 07:38 AM
Rate Increase Question Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 04-16-2010 07:41 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming