Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do I do this???
Unregistered 01:55 AM 09-24-2014
Signing out, sensitive issue.

My plan was to sell my daycare house & move to another location. Before I could list it, I got a written offer on my house AND an offer on my daycare. They want to take over my DC with everything in it. I talk to licensing and I'm good there. She said it's been done before. They said the transition could be as little as 3 weeks or as much as 8. Closing on the house could be as little as 10 days but possibly 30.

My question is how do I tell DC parents & when? They know the person taking over. She has assisted me & worked for a local church DC in the past. Parents seem to like her, she's a warm grandmother type. New owner knows parents are not obligated to stay with her.

Should new owner come in and work side-by-side with me full time for a few weeks so parents see her daily before anything is said? I'm willing to stay 8 weeks, slowing working to PT in the end.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How would you do this? HELP! PLEASE!
nannyde 02:36 AM 09-24-2014
Let new owner decide BUT if you work you keep all the money and she observes. Otherwise I would just stay out of it. The liability may be an issue too.
Unregistered 04:55 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Let new owner decide BUT if you work you keep all the money and she observes. Otherwise I would just stay out of it. The liability may be an issue too.
Thank you. I'm still trying to think of my parents when I should just be thinking about me.
Blackcat31 05:28 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
A friend of mine sold her daycare business (clients and all) a few years back.

She struggled with the transition too but in the end realized that like any business, once you sell it really isn't your concern anymore.

What she did was notify the parents with a 30 day notice and gave her last day of work/ownership (a Friday).

When the new owner took over on the following Monday, that was it.
My friend was done. There was no transition time or easing into it.

She did however, offer her consulting services to the new owner should she (new owner) feel she needed it but she never took her up on it so....

So I think you should simply give notice of your plans and what ever day the new owner wants to take ownership, be done.

Think of YOU!

Will you still run a child care in another location or do you have other irons in the fire?
Unregistered 06:42 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Will you still run a child care in another location or do you have other irons in the fire?
My initial plan was to keep doing DC, but the offer was too good. So the answer is no, not right now at least. I do have another business ventures, but I am taking the winter off. I need a break from everything for awhile. In the words of Forrest Gump.., "I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now."
AmyKidsCo 11:42 AM 09-24-2014
ITA with Blackcat. Think of it as a straight business transaction. Give the parents notice, and when the new person takes over let it be her problem. The parents can always leave if they don't like it.
Crazy8 12:11 PM 09-24-2014
I agree with BC as well. Give 30 days notice. If the transaction is not complete in 30 days though I would continue to provide services (assuming you still own the house) with the assumption that the transfer will take place as soon as the paperwork is signed. I would not work in the home once you don't own it anymore though.
Unregistered 02:11 PM 09-24-2014
The title company just informed that the closing can take place as early as a week from Friday. Gulp...
Reply Up